Is Walker peaking too early?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:57:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Walker peaking too early?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Walker peaking too early?  (Read 2552 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:14:52 PM »

I mentioned this in the Republican nominee prediction thread for this month and I think it has some merit. Can he maintain his current momentum for another year?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »

The same could be said for Jeb
bobloblaw
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »

Kinda. I feel like Jeb Bush will come in and "change the game"

Jeb is persona non grata among GOP primary voters. He wont be the nominee.

Boy the flop sweat over Walker is amazing. You guys are terrified of this guy. He's beaten you every single time you went up against him. In 3 elections, in the Supreme Court and in the Legislature.

You can see how panicked the left is, they desperately want another Bush to run against.

No Walker isnt peaking to early. Is Hillary?
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »

Walker will only get stronger and stronger as things move along IMO.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »

No. Why would you even think he is? If anything he's peaking just in time.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »

It depends on if he's ready for prime-time.

Being a top-tier Republican presidential candidate comes with a new level of media scrutiny, and he might not be prepared for that. Governors are also less familiar with national stories than Senators and congressional leaders.

But this could be a very good thing for him. His main strength is that he's not particularly objectionable to any part of the Republican party, but that doesn't help him reach the top. It makes it easier for him to keep support as the primary progresses. Good poll numbers could get primary voters to take a look at him. They might like what they see, even if it's the same thing they'd see in Kasich or Rubio.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:07:19 AM »

I'm having flashbacks of Rick Perry and Fred Thompson. Of course, those candidates had gaping flaws that were discovered later, but whose to say Walker does not have the same weaknesses?
bobloblaw
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

I'm having flashbacks of Rick Perry and Fred Thompson. Of course, those candidates had gaping flaws that were discovered later, but whose to say Walker does not have the same weaknesses?

Neither Thompson nor Perry ever faced a hostile press or a real election in their states.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »

Walker is as battle tested as they come now-a-days bottom line.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »

Kinda. I feel like Jeb Bush will come in and "change the game"

Jeb is persona non grata among GOP primary voters. He wont be the nominee.

Boy the flop sweat over Walker is amazing. You guys are terrified of this guy. He's beaten you every single time you went up against him. In 3 elections, in the Supreme Court and in the Legislature.

You can see how panicked the left is, they desperately want another Bush to run against.

No Walker isnt peaking to early. Is Hillary?

I think you're projecting.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »

As I said before & and I'll say it again, all the contenders for the Republican presidential nomination are having there go at being flavor of the month, unfortunately for Walker it's February of 2015, Rand Paul had his turn. Primary or potential primary voters can afford to be fickle right now, no votes are being cast, so 'fishing' is the optimum word here. As for Jeb Bush,  do you not think he hasn't weighed every scenario. Measured every possibility and examined all options. He's not in the arena to "whistle dixie". Bush wouldn't have even ventured forth unless he had considered his chances. As for Hillary,  well let's say this she had the Democratic presidential nomination all wrapped up in 2008, but someone forgot to give Obama the memo. No one seems to understand,  that past is prologue.  She's too far ahead of the pack for comfort & if somebody like Biden, O'Malley, Webb or Warren catches fire, her fall in the polls is going to be all the more dramatic.  Harry Truman,  once said "a week is a long time in politics and a year is forever". If I was on Hillary's team I'd be nervous,  very nervous. Voters are fickle people.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »

Is he really peaking? He's at 16% in Iowa. He's the tallest tree in an Icelandic forest. I think there's still plenty of time for him to become either the flavor of the month or the candidate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »

As for Hillary,  well let's say this she had the Democratic presidential nomination all wrapped up in 2008 but someone forgot to give Obama the memo.

Stop parroting this debunked myth. She was trailing Edwards in Iowa and leading Obama nationally by 17 points. Oddsmakers gave her a roughly ~50% chance of winning the nomination. Hardly inevitable.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 11:48:04 PM »

He's the tallest tree in an Icelandic forest.

I might have to steal this.

I wouldn't call this a peak yet. He could gain more and become the front runner. I would say that he's one of the stronger, less gaffe-prone candidates in 2016 unlike 2012's (2011's) flavors of the month that regularly peaked and plunged.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »

This boom is just the Romney voters finding their new home for now. Walker is well-suited to Iowa, but he still has a ways to go when it comes to name recognition in the whole country. I do think he's by far the candidate who is best suited for both the primary and the general, with the fewest negatives.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »

He'll peak at Ames.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 01:51:58 PM »

Walker would win a raft of states in the primaries that he would lose in the general election. He well represents Northern Republicans who want a union -free country with no welfare and in which the private sector is sold off cheaply to monopolistic profiteers.
bobloblaw
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:35:36 AM »

Walker would win a raft of states in the primaries that he would lose in the general election. He well represents Northern Republicans who want a union -free country with no welfare and in which the private sector is sold off cheaply to monopolistic profiteers.

Same shrill language that lost you 3 elections in WI
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »

Too soon to say for sure, though like others have said, I wouldn't say being ahead by 1 in a single Iowa poll is "peaking".
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »

Pretty sure Romney lost WI in 2012.

A Presidential general election is a rather different playing field then Mid-Term and off-year elections.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »

He could be peaking to early.  On the other hand, since, like Tom Cotton, in Arkansas, Walker is acceptable to both the 'mainstream' wing of the Republican Party and the 'Tea Party' wing, he may quickly emerge as the consensus candidate and build up a large lead. Of course,  Howard Dean also had built up a large lead at one point, so...
bobloblaw
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »

Pretty sure Romney lost WI in 2012.

A Presidential general election is a rather different playing field then Mid-Term and off-year elections.

Im talking about Walker.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 10:05:59 PM »

He's not peaking.  He's still only got ~50% name recognition in most of these polls (behind all the other major candidates), so he's still got quite a bit of room for growth.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »

He gave one good speech and got a slught bump in IA polling. That hardly counts as peaking.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies