Which describes Mormonism better?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:15:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Which describes Mormonism better?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Moron...I mean Mormonism?
A genuine form of Protestant Christianity

A cult form of Christianity

A neither Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant form of Christianity

Not Christianity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Which describes Mormonism better?  (Read 5211 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:39 PM »

Torn between 1 and 2.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:46:06 PM »

I view Mormonism as another Abrahamic religion.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »

I'd go with #3.  I think Mormonism is loosely Christian in the same sense Unitarian-Universalists are.

While Unitarian-Universalism has Christian roots and there are Christian UUs (such as myself) UU is not a Christian religion any longer.

As for Mormonism, whether you consider it Protestant depends upon whether one considers the Restorationist branch of Christianity to be a species of Protestantism or a genus of its own.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »

I'd go with #3.  I think Mormonism is loosely Christian in the same sense Unitarian-Universalists are.

While Unitarian-Universalism has Christian roots and there are Christian UUs (such as myself) UU is not a Christian religion any longer.

As for Mormonism, whether you consider it Protestant depends upon whether one considers the Restorationist branch of Christianity to be a species of Protestantism or a genus of its own.

I always thought everything that wasn't Orthodox or Catholic was Protestant.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:03:23 AM »

That would be a weird definition of Protestantism
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:59:33 AM »

The fact that Mormonism gets discussed in such hallowed 'academic' terms even on this forum is a testament to how ingrained it is now. Even though it's founder was clearly a deluded, self aggrandizing sexual predator.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »

Yeah Mormonism is another branch of Christianity like Protestantism, Catholicism, etc. And it's poised to become about as prominent and influential as the "Big Three" because of high Mormon birth rates and evangelism.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »

Anything other than Option 3 is ignorance, or prejudice as our "esteemed" afleitch so shows.

The fact that Mormonism gets discussed in such hallowed 'academic' terms even on this forum is a testament to how ingrained it is now. Even though it's founder was clearly a deluded, self aggrandizing sexual predator.

Putting slants aside, no freaking duh it's discussed in academic terms. As long as it has a very clear beginning, middle, and afterlife that suggests Godhood when the rest of the world at bests barely suggests an afterlife and/or simply calls death the end.

When there are details like that, that specific and different...then of course it will be discussed academically whether the hell you like the source or the ideas or not.  Ideas are not killed, only put to rest for a time being.

What's next, scoff at the idea of civil disobedience just because Gandhi was racist?  Question the effects of sending gifted speakers to foreign countries to peaceably settle relations just because the advocate was a Euro-centric segregationist?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

What's next, scoff at the idea of civil disobedience just because Gandhi was racist?  Question the effects of sending gifted speakers to foreign countries to peaceably settle relations just because the advocate was a Euro-centric segregationist?

Getting curious here:

- How was Gandhi a racist? (towards Africans?)

- Which segregationist?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »

Indeed. To be Protestants, they would at minimum need to believe in the three Solas, which Mormons reject, and probably believe in the triune God as well.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »

Anything other than Option 3 is ignorance, or prejudice as our "esteemed" afleitch so shows.

Joseph Smith sexually harassed women. He said, as cult founders often do, that he was commanded by god to essentially take what he pleased. There is account after account after account even from before his 'revelation'. The man was a charlatan and I make no apology in saying that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »

I guess he's talking about William Fulbright and the student exchange program that bears his name.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »

How would you define Christianity?

Mormonism's theology is very different from other forms of Christianity. For all of our differences, Catholics, and Protestants can agree on the Nicene Creed, more or less the same scriptures and so on. Even the Oriental Orthodox with their monophysite Christology can at least agree with the rest of mainstream Christianity on many major issues.

While I don't expect most of the forum to agree with my Calvinist definition of a Christian church, Mormonism's status as a Christian church can be questioned even under a relatively liberal definition. E.g. requiring monotheism.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »

Question: Moron...I mean Mormonism?  (quote from original poster)

The extreme bigotry of the original poster, MC Tricky Dick, comes through loud and clear.

Just look at how he words the poll question.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »

The extreme bigotry of the original poster, MC Tricky Dick, comes through loud and clear.

It's just a joke. The question is always in the title.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »

Mormonism's theology is very different from other forms of Christianity. For all of our differences, Catholics, and Protestants can agree on the Nicene Creed, more or less the same scriptures and so on. Even the Oriental Orthodox with their monophysite Christology can at least agree with the rest of mainstream Christianity on many major issues.

While I don't expect most of the forum to agree with my Calvinist definition of a Christian church, Mormonism's status as a Christian church can be questioned even under a relatively liberal definition. E.g. requiring monotheism.

It's in the very root, Christ and more specifically, the divinity of the Atonement

Not called for, especially since it started off as a mere detractor name in the first place.

It's in the root itself, Christ, or more specifically that he is the Messiah that atoned for the sins of the world and he was the only Begotten one. That's a clear definition, and we fit into that just fine.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »

I view Mormonism as another Abrahamic religion.

The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »

Then vote "Not Christianity" in the poll.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 05:12:34 AM »

Indeed. To be Protestants, they would at minimum need to believe in the three Solas, which Mormons reject, and probably believe in the triune God as well.

I don't think belief in the Trinity is a uniform among Protestant denominations at all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 01:21:57 PM »

I don't think belief in the Trinity is a uniform among Protestant denominations at all.
It's held by most. Outside the Restorationist sects, the Oneness Pentecostal movement is the only major grouping that rejects classical Trinitarianism and they are Sabellian rather than Socinian or Arian in their approach as the 18th-19th century Unitarians were.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »

Some joke.  You obviously very purposely used the word "Moron" when that was completely unnecessary and was totally uncalled for.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »

Not Christian.

Also what ssay afleitch is correct. In fact Mormonism is something as impressive as a large faith, whose founder can proven to be a con-man. That doesn't mean that the faith is necessary wrong (no one says that a con-man can't receive divine inspiration), but I do think it give us not non-Mormons a legitimate reason not to take it or its claims very seriously.

Joseph Smith sexually harassed women. He said, as cult founders often do, that he was commanded by god to essentially take what he pleased. There is account after account after account even from before his 'revelation'. The man was a charlatan and I make no apology in saying that.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 04:09:11 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2015, 04:23:05 PM by DemPGH »

Last option. Protestantism "starts" in so far as a claim like that can be made with the Bible-only approach of people like the Lollards, who rebelled ideologically against the ceremony and tradition of the Latin Church and the authority of the Pope. It became institutionalized later in the 16th and 17th centuries. I cannot see that Mormonism comes out of that, especially when you take into consideration its founder. It's his own religion. And hey, why not? Humans have always invented religions.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 11:38:40 PM »

By adding new texts as Holy Writ, the Mormons have created a tradition as distinct from other branches of Christianity as Roman Catholicism is from Protestantism or Eastern Orthodoxy.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »

By adding new texts as Holy Writ, the Mormons have created a tradition as distinct from other branches of Christianity as Roman Catholicism is from Protestantism or Eastern Orthodoxy.

And a growing canon to boot.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies