What damage would a GOP candidate cause themself by supporting gay marriage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:38:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What damage would a GOP candidate cause themself by supporting gay marriage?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Extreme damage, they couldn't win

Moderate damage, it would depress base turnout and tilt the race against them

Small damage, but it could mean the difference in winning a few swing states with so-con bases

No damage, it would make no difference

Net plus, it would gain them votes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: What damage would a GOP candidate cause themself by supporting gay marriage?  (Read 2751 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »

Let's say after the primaries, either during the summer or fall, the GOP candidate pulls an Obama and comes out in favor of gay marriage. What does it do to their support?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:02 PM »

The moderate hero option
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:26 PM »

Option 3. The single issue anti-gay voters are close to irrelevant at this point, but there would still be enough to hurt them a tiny bit.

However, a pro-gay marriage candidate certainly couldn't win a primary in 2016. They might be able to in 2020/2024 though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »

The gay issue is a wash. They'd lose as much Christian turnout as they'd gain pro-gay swing voters.

Their dismissive language on women's and Latino issues are what have damaged the GOP brand.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »

Wrong vote by me. I voted for the third option, but I meant that for the primaries. In the general, I think it would almost certainly be a net positive. The republican don't have turnout issues, the dems do. The GOP base is gonna show up for just about any of their candidates, I believe. Neither McCain nor Romney lost because of low GOP turnout, they lost because of massive Dem turnout.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »

The gay issue is a wash. They'd lose as much Christian turnout as they'd gain pro-gay swing voters.

Their dismissive language on women's and Latino issues are what have damaged the GOP brand.

Especially with women, who vote at higher rates than men anyway. And the 2016 electorate will almost certainly be less white than the 2012 one. I'm not a "demographics is destiny" type, but the GOP has serious issues in presidential elections at least for the short to medium-term.

Unfortunately, the GOP primary electorate in most states (not just in Republican-voting states-a point that gets lost sometimes) is dominated by the very same voters who want to hear the GOP take a hard-line on a wide variety of issues. So they have no incentive to reach out to the voters and demographics who they need to do at least somewhat better with if they have a real chance to win in 2016.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »

Option 3/4.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »

They would probably gain a few votes. But seriously, is anybody going to revoke or add their support to a candidate because of this issue?
CJK
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »

There would be tremendous damage. The gay agenda, the reckless destruction of norms literally thousands of years old, is the defining issue of our time. The base is livid over lawless, activist judges. Romney (who I still genuinely doubt was actually trying to win) shamefully ignored the homosexual agenda and suffered the consequences. Probably because he secretly supported it as well, judging from his record as governor.

And let's face it, the GOP has no creative economic plans, so it needs to rally people on the social issues.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

There would be tremendous damage. The gay agenda, the reckless destruction of norms literally thousands of years old, is the defining issue of our time. The base is livid over lawless, activist judges. Romney (who I still genuinely doubt was actually trying to win) shamefully ignored the homosexual agenda and suffered the consequences. Probably because he secretly supported it as well, judging from his record as governor.

And let's face it, the GOP has no creative economic plans, so it needs to rally people on the social issues.

#postsfrom2004
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »

Oh, that would be fantastic. Hillary talking about the recovering economy while the GOP candidate stands there blabbering about the "gay agenda". Unfortunately it's too much to hope for. What's frightening is people like you actually think that would work for your guy.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »

This isn't going to help the republican party. You've got the 52-58% of americans (depending on the poll) who agree with the activist judges, then you've got another constituency that disagrees with gay marriage but doesn't vote based on it (I'm in this category), then you've got another constituency who disagrees with gay marriage but never turns out to vote no matter what, and you're left with what, 30% of the country, maybe not even that, who you're able to rally with this sort of strategy. Maybe it plays in Iowa, where evangelical turnout is really important. Maybe it plays in places like Georgia. But it's not going to work in North Carolina, Ohio, Colorado, Virginia, etc, no matter how much you think it should.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »

So, stop talking about pro-business and fiscally conservative economic policies like tax cuts, cutting wasteful spending and reducing costly regulations on small businesses and REALLY start rampin' up the anti-gay rhetoric?  Wow, the people in charge of our party's PR machine aren't geniuses of any kind, but I suppose it could, in fact, be worse.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »

Republicans need high turnout among Evangelicals in order to win, it matters a lot in NC, FL, IA, VA and all throughout the South. Low turnout among Evangelicals could put Georgia in play as well.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »

A GOPer coming out in favor of gay marriage in the summer of 2016 would not be the same as Obama in 2012. Obama had been evolving for years and he had been advocating for gay rights including overturning DADT. But this issue would come up in the 2016 GOP primary so we are talking about someone saying they are anti SSM in January-March during the primary and then pro SSM in the Summer. The conclusion of most people would be that he either lied during the primary or was lying for the general, which would be a character issue and create a net negative across the board.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:19:11 PM »

Marriage, and then what? Taking toys right out of childrens hands? BREAKING INTO HOUSES AND HAVING GAY SEX IN FRONT OF A MIDDLE CLASS TRADITIONAL FAMILY? we can't stand for it, I tell ya!

You're right, the homosexual agenda is going to destroy families in this country, and the GOP should definitely work on defeating this agenda! I'm with ya!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »

I don't see how much it would hurt.  Most people who would stay home just for this, assuming standard GOP views on other social issues, live in >55% Romney states.  Thinking about swing states, the only one where it would obviously hurt is Ohio.  Florida, Virginia and Iowa would be a wash, again assuming this Republican is still pro-life.  In all the other swing states, it should unambiguously help more than hurt.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »

Not enough people will care to swing the election. Given a pro-life Republican candidate who is solid on every other social issue, the gay issue by itself isn't enough to persuade more than a few idiots to stay home. The vast majority of Republicans will vote for the Republican candidate, knowing that the gay marriage issue is settled pretty much. They can resist, but with 35% of young evangelicals backing gay marriage, it will not be enough to prevent the Republicans from eventually adopting a libertarian philosophy on it.

The 2016 nominee may as well get a head start on it.
DS0816
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »

Aaron Schock should come out of the closet; endorse same-sex couples being married; and find out.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »

Aaron Schock should come out of the closet; endorse same-sex couples being married; and find out.

Graham/Schock 2016?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »

You would love Free Republic
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »

You would love Free Republic

I've never been to one of these psycho right-wing sites that are mentioned on here, but I kind of want to now, LOL.  For pure amusement, of course.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:32 PM »

Some so cons might stay home, while some swing voters might see him/her as more moderate. It'd probably be a wash in the GE, but it would be somewhat damaging in the Republican primaries. Overall, I'll go with option three.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »

Running a Democrat-lite hasn't worked.  Making sure the base doesn't stay home is the precursor to winning a national election.  They haven't thought about that since about 2004 or so.  They failed in 1996, 2008, and 2012. 
RR1997
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »

Option 3, and it would've been option 2 back in 2012, so things are changing for the better.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies