Cabinet Reform Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cabinet Reform Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Cabinet Reform Amendment (Failed)  (Read 2764 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:35:45 AM »
« edited: March 04, 2015, 07:04:28 PM by Senator bore »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article V, Section 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read:

Article VIII, Section 2 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read:

[/quote]

Sponsored by: Bore for the President
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »

Once again, Speaker Bore, thank you for sponsoring this.

Over the past few months I have been gradually convinced that the cabinet is in need of reform, and during the start of my administration I sought to experiment a bit with the cabinet by creating deputies, renaming a few positions and overall trying to change the way the cabinet works. Those efforts were not as successful as I would have hoped, but they helped me realize that changes can and must be enacted. This proposal is one that will need discussion and changes, but overall the idea is to:

-Establish a section in the Constitution dealing with the cabinet, seeing as the current constitution has the references of the cabinet split in several places and those can be quite ambiguous.
-Divide the cabinet in five departments, each one with its own duty and its officers. In this case we retain the current post, but with a renaming that makes more sense than the current one (I actually think SoIA and SoEA are dull names).
-Allow the cabinet members to hire deputies to split the work and focus on particular issues (instead of just allowing the AG, SoFE and GM to do so).
-Formally confirm the role of the Senate in dismissing a GM without Presidential approval, to avoid another DemPGH/SirNick situation.
-Finally, clear up the other references so the main cabinet section is the sole one concerned with this part of the government.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »

I have concerns about fully integrating the GM as a member of the cabinet. Sure, the dismissal process is different, but the implication is that of subordination, which is problematic to the role of the GM and how it relates to the administration. It implies that the President can "direct" its actions for instance.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »

I will definetely not support adding the Game Moderator to the cabinet. If we want that position to have some true independence and credibility, we can in no way make him a cabinet position. If any change here, I would go the other way, rather than having him appointed by the President, being approved by the Senate without Presidential appointment.

It's certainly sensible to order this all in one part, though I believe Clause 2 needs to be amended as it talks about a "Departement of Federal Elections" which is neither created nor tasked with anything the clause above, so legally does not exist, if I am thinking this correctly.

I would prefer Internal and External Affairs to State and Interior, but that is I guess the smallest question, and one of personal taste.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:51:12 AM »

I obviously oppose the constant attempt made by Lumine to make the executive power stronger.
Just to be clear by the way, I don't believe you're a far-rightwinger or anytning like that Lumine, you seem to believe in a ultra presidential system I don't like.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »

I obviously oppose the constant attempt made by Lumine to make the executive power stronger.
Just to be clear by the way, I don't believe you're a far-rightwinger or anytning like that Lumine, you seem to believe in a ultra presidential system I don't like.

Please explain, how this gives more power to the executive? My intention here is to organize the cabinet and make it more efficient, not pursue an ultra presidential system.

I will definetely not support adding the Game Moderator to the cabinet. If we want that position to have some true independence and credibility, we can in no way make him a cabinet position. If any change here, I would go the other way, rather than having him appointed by the President, being approved by the Senate without Presidential appointment.

It's certainly sensible to order this all in one part, though I believe Clause 2 needs to be amended as it talks about a "Departement of Federal Elections" which is neither created nor tasked with anything the clause above, so legally does not exist, if I am thinking this correctly.

I would prefer Internal and External Affairs to State and Interior, but that is I guess the smallest question, and one of personal taste.

What do you mean with "presidential appointment", Cranberry? I may have misunderstood your argument here, but the current system has the President nominate a GM that the Senate has to approve, which I believe is the best mechanism available. I understand the concerns related to the Game Moderator and I would be happy to see this amended so he is out of the cabinet and not subordinated to the President (it should be noted I defended the role of the Senate in dismissing a Game Moderator even before we had the October conflict), remember that is just an early idea.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »

What do you mean with "presidential appointment", Cranberry? I may have misunderstood your argument here, but the current system has the President nominate a GM that the Senate has to approve, which I believe is the best mechanism available. I understand the concerns related to the Game Moderator and I would be happy to see this amended so he is out of the cabinet and not subordinated to the President (it should be noted I defended the role of the Senate in dismissing a Game Moderator even before we had the October conflict), remember that is just an early idea.

This was just a proposal of what I would support before I supported having the GM subordinated to the President, in the sense that not the President would appoint the GM, but rather an applicant would apply to the Speaker, with the same procedure afterwards. It's more a consideration than a serious proposal, and you don't need to think about it.
It's good that you are willing to have the GM striken out of the cabinet.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »

Very well, I'll try to propose an amendment later today, establishing a new section for the GM (along with Deputy GM) separate from the cabinet, and correcting the mistake in clause two.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »

Another power grab by this pathetic, ineffectual administration. I will oppose this.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:12:06 PM »

Well Lumine:
- your former executive order passing a budget: that's a senate duty to pass a budget.
- your law giving some GM duties to the SoEA, an office you directly control and that you could dismiss
-your amendment to the senate rules allowing the president to post in the legislative introduction thread
-and now this amendment making clear the GM is a member of the cabinet.

Oh, just to be clear, you're not malicious at all, I don't even think you realize that, but you constantly try to make the office of president even more powerful, and this is something I disagree.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:05 AM »

I agree with my comrades senators TNF and Windjammer. The constant attempts by this administration to marginalize and subjugate the office of the GM are very disturbing.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »

Right, the strawman-style attacks aside, I want to propose an amendment:

Article V, Section 1 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read:

Article VIII, Section 2 of the Constitution is hereby amended to read:

[/quote]
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »

Sponsored for you.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 04:54:45 PM »

I won't oppose but I will propose my own amendment later.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object to Cris's amendment
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 07:21:48 AM »

I object to the amendment.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »

Why so, Senator?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »

Because it increases the chances of this awful bill passing.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:27 AM »

Senators a vote is now open on Cris's amendment, please vote aye nay or abstain
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 09:50:54 AM »

Because it increases the chances of this awful bill passing.

What utter hypocrisy.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 10:07:13 AM »

I have a difficult balancing act here since I am indeed a member of the administration, but I'm wondering why we need this bill. The SoIA's duties are already pretty well outlined inegiation. And while I've gone along with the president's request that I refer to myself as Secretary of the Interior, truth be told, I think "Internal Affairs" makes more sense...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 10:38:36 AM »

Well,
Aye
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »

Aye
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »

Aye

I have a difficult balancing act here since I am indeed a member of the administration, but I'm wondering why we need this bill. The SoIA's duties are already pretty well outlined inegiation. And while I've gone along with the president's request that I refer to myself as Secretary of the Interior, truth be told, I think "Internal Affairs" makes more sense...

The idea is I guess that it is organized in an own section in a main part of the constitution, not in some amendment further down.
Anyway, I prefer Internal/External Affairs as well, and I'll present an amendment to change it to that later.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »

Cranberry is right when to comes to the spirit of this bill being that the Cabinet can have its own organized section. I know we can't have a bloated constitution, but if we have to take things for granted and rely on several pieces of legislation to state the duties of our cabinet members then we might as well organize the information in a better and more formal way.

My proposal for "State" and Interior" was a personal preference of mine, but if there's a consensus in the Senate than Internal and External Affairs are better suited to the Cabinet, then that's fine with me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies