Which Are More Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:28:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which Are More Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Exurbs

Small Towns

Farms

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Which Are More Republican  (Read 3499 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:45:10 PM »

Assuming other factors such as ethnicity, religious affiliation, and the other are relatively equal.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »

I'm shocked by the results. 

Farms seem much more Republican.  Aren't most of the 80%+ GOP counties super rural?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »

Exurbs for sure. Some small towns can be very far-left liberal (i.e. Vermont, college towns).
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:35 AM »

I believe the answer is farms since many rural counties across the plains and in the South are very Republican friendly.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

I would certainly go with exurbs.  Remember back in the '60s, '70s and '80s when GOP strength was fueled by the suburbs?  A huge chunk of those types of people have moved to exurbs.  Many farmers are Republicans, but a fair amount would break from the party over things like ethonal subsidies (see Iowa county results in 2008).  Also, as has been said, many small towns aren't as conservative as you'd think.  Once you take into account ancestrally Democratic places like Elliot County, KY (even if most of these places turned on Obama), small college towns and areas like WI/MN or New England, where the small towns are actually the most left-leaning ... Well, you're left with exurbs.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »

I would certainly go with exurbs.  Remember back in the '60s, '70s and '80s when GOP strength was fueled by the suburbs?  A huge chunk of those types of people have moved to exurbs.  Many farmers are Republicans, but a fair amount would break from the party over things like ethonal subsidies (see Iowa county results in 2008).  Also, as has been said, many small towns aren't as conservative as you'd think.  Once you take into account ancestrally Democratic places like Elliot County, KY (even if most of these places turned on Obama), small college towns and areas like WI/MN or New England, where the small towns are actually the most left-leaning ... Well, you're left with exurbs.

Madison, Duluth, and Boston/Cambridge bid adeiu.

As for OP, I went with farms. The farming community is represented by Republicans in the legislature in an incredible way. The GOP has been in their interests for a long time, and if you look at areas like central Illinois and Indiana, you see that these areas haven't jumped parties at all. Where you have the GOP shift has been in southern Illinois and Indiana and Appalachia and swaths of Missouri and Arkansas where farming is not as big and mining is.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »

Exurbs.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 07:52:50 PM »

Madison, Duluth, and Boston/Cambridge bid adeiu.

As for OP, I went with farms. The farming community is represented by Republicans in the legislature in an incredible way. The GOP has been in their interests for a long time, and if you look at areas like central Illinois and Indiana, you see that these areas haven't jumped parties at all. Where you have the GOP shift has been in southern Illinois and Indiana and Appalachia and swaths of Missouri and Arkansas where farming is not as big and mining is.

Yes, I was mostly comparing suburbs/exurbs vs. rural (i.e., Minneapolis and Milwaukee suburbs vs. rural WI and MN).  My bad.  Those college towns (is Duluth one?) are certainly more liberal.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 12:21:10 AM »

Exurbs, though it depends where you are. In Wisconsin and Minnesota, its definitely exurbs. In places like Kansas, farms for sure.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:46:30 PM »

Aren't most rural areas still part of a small town or at least some incorporated community?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »

I was looking at the Texas maps in Dave Leip's (blue for R, red for D) and I saw how the distribution of votes changed in the last 40 years.
In 2008 and 2012, urban Dallas County was red. Suburban Tarrant, Denton and Collin counties were light blue. Rural neighboring counties were dark blue. In 2000, Dallas was light blue. Tarrant, Denton and Collin were as blue as the neighboring counties. In 1988, Dallas was light blue like other rural neighboring counties. Tarrant, Denton and Collin were dark blue. In 1960, 1968 and 1976, Dallas, Tarrant, Denton and Collin counties were blue counties in the middle of red counties.
So, in the past, suburban Texas was more Republican than rural Texas. But now, rural Texas is more Republican.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »

Aren't most rural areas still part of a small town or at least some incorporated community?

Not generally in the south.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »

Drawing on my knowledge of Michigan's political dynamic...

Some of the small towns are essentially 50-50. Due to Metro Detroit's massive size, I'd characterize the exurbs as Livingston, Monroe, and St. Clair Counties (someone else can feel free to disagree, though--Oakland County cities like Clarkston and Auburn Hills could probably count as the exurbs, rather than the immediate suburban area), which tend to be considerably more conservative than the city/metropolitan statistical area. The outer edges of Oakland and Monroe counties are a bit more GOP-friendly than the areas closer to the city, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

The farming areas in Michigan? They're almost uniformly Republican, and have been for some time.

Farms it is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies