Your Grandparents vs Your Grandparents.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community
  Forum Community Election Match-ups (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your Grandparents vs Your Grandparents.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your Grandparents vs Your Grandparents.  (Read 1553 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »

...Because stealing good ideas from retromike and making them even trippier (because who says you need to drink alcohol and get drunk or get high to come up with ...weird stuff) seems to be my shtick, here it goes.

Premise:  You've overdosed on LSD and have found yourself in a bizarre and complex political dream: Both of your grandparents have decided to run against the side other in a U.S. Presidential election. Judging their political beliefs and personalities, how would the election turn out?

My own example

Maternal Grandpa / Maternal Grandma (R): Compassionate Conservatives to a T, very personable and friendly. One a private family doctor and the other a schoolteacher once. They would definitely fire up the base and convince the South to go for them even with Mormonism. My granddad here was pretty much a standard fifties father, so he'd probably lead the ticket.  Naturally they'll still lose the liberal Northeast, Midwest, and West Coast...and thanks to Las Vegas, lose Nevada. That's about it though

Paternal Grandma/ Paternal Grandpa (D): The grandma on this side was an ethnic liberal, and she'd do well among the Coasts and urban areas, and her work as a social worker could get her far. Unfortunately my grandfather, even with his navy record would end up making a lot of embarrassing gaffes that would moot the otherwise more palatable liberal policies. And they were atheists.

Maternal Side  [Grandpa/Grandma] (R): 294 (51.2% PV)
Paternal Side [Grandma/Grandpa] (D): 244 (46.8% PV)

In the end it'd be close, but ultimately the friendly one's who'll invite you over to dinner in a heartbeat are just going to beat the other side, especially when the potential VP messes up so bad. And Arizona and Utah voters would make up for any slow turn-out in the South

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »

Given that my paternal grandparents are dead, my Maternal ones would win 538-0.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »

Given that my paternal grandparents are dead, my Maternal ones would win 538-0.
I don't think you understood the assignment.

I'm too lazy to make a map, but my mom's parents would clean up while my dad's parents would win the reactionary areas of the south and the Appalachians.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2015, 08:03:58 PM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

Maternal Grandfather/Maternal Grandmother 391 EVs

Almost unbelievably, both are still alive. They are from a small town in Massachusetts with humble roots (parents were Irish immigrants), grandmother and grandfather grew up during the Great Depression thus pretty liberal, again Irish people who were born in MA during the Great Depression. Both went to college from a poor background and then had five children, although my grandfather left my grandmother for his secretary which is rather scandalous. However, my grandmother then began her very successful career in nursing for U of M when she was 50 so she maintains a good independence from her former husband. I would characterize my grandfather as a liberal Calvin Coolidge.

Paternal Grandfather/Paternal Grandmother 147 EVs

Poor rich-acting people from California who will probably be whatever the National Republican Party tells them to be. Grandfather used to be a solid Republican until his rich CA friends started hating Bush. Both incredibly fake, however my grandmother was a legitimately nice person before her death. Grandfather is just pretentious.

retromike22
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »

...Because stealing good ideas from retromike and making them even trippier

Haha you need a good PAPOY-gate scandal if you're going to be my protege.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »

Maternal Grandfather / Maternal Grandmother (D) - populist, working class union Democrats
Paternal Grandmother (R) / Paternal Grandfather (I) - working class Republicans

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:02 AM »

Maternal Grandfather / Maternal Grandmother (D) - populist, working class union Democrats

Vermont/Connecticut/Massachusetts/California/Rhode Island/New York/Delaware/Maryland would literally vote for a democratic cat before they would vote republican, at least on the presidential level. Oklahoma/Arkansas/Tennessee/Alabama/Texas (at least for now)/Louisiana/Kentucky/West Virginia would literally vote for a republican cat before they would vote democratic, at least on the presidential level.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »

All four of my grandparents -- the career Soviet military officer, the conspiracy theorist, the ludicrously hard-right Jewish nationalist, and the alcoholic -- are completely and utterly unelectable in the United States. I don't even know where to begin.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 12:23:10 AM »

I can't possibly do this since I only know who my maternal grandparents are and I only actually knew my grandfather as my grandmother died almost 17 years before I was born.

My maternal grandfather was a minister and a liberal Republican. His voting patterns were idiosyncratic to say the least, but he would've been a pretty good politician if he'd put his mind to it. When he was younger, he and my grandmother were a popular couple with a lot of friends and my grandfather was the insurance man at the time.

If he'd run for office in the late 40s-50s, he'd have done pretty well.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 04:53:12 AM »

All four of my grandparents -- the career Soviet military officer, the conspiracy theorist, the ludicrously hard-right Jewish nationalist, and the alcoholic -- are completely and utterly unelectable in the United States. I don't even know where to begin.

That sounds like the beginning of a great What If? timeline.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »

Vermont/Connecticut/Massachusetts/California/Rhode Island/New York/Delaware/Maryland would literally vote for a democratic cat before they would vote republican, at least on the presidential level. Oklahoma/Arkansas/Tennessee/Alabama/Texas (at least for now)/Louisiana/Kentucky/West Virginia would literally vote for a republican cat before they would vote democratic, at least on the presidential level.

The candidates in question literally have the same views, so I don't think there's much of an issue with the map I presented. Every state would literally be a tossup.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »

Literally the 2004 election.

Paternal: Bush (conservative German-Americans)
Maternal: Kerry (a free spirited Portugese woman and a Irish-American New England Navy man)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »

Maternal Grandparents: a moderate Rockefeller Republican (grandmother) and a fiscally conservative Republican who is indifferent to most social issues (grandfather) (R)

Paternal Grandparents: weren't American; if I attempted to shoehorn their political views into a US context, they'd probably be very economically populist, and conservative to indifferent on most social issues (D)

To make such tickets plausible, let's assume the election was some time in the 1960s:

Perhaps something like this.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »

very cool idea.

Maternal Grandparents: moderate Republicans
base - New England, Central/East Ohio, mining towns, college towns, culturally liberal areas
maternal grandfather's performing arts experience helps him in the campaign

Paternal Grandparents: moderate-to-conservative Republicans
base - Michigan, Western Ohio, Texas, autoworkers, Midwestern farmers, veterans
appreciated for being "down to earth"

280-258
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »

Paternal Grandparents - hardcore union Democrats dating back forever, never voted for a Republican President, generally socially conservative (pro-life, maybe "not my business" on marriage but still sometimes say offensive things about gay people and other minorities)

Maternal Grandparents - Rockefeller Republicans, voted for a few Democratic Presidents when the time was right (Kennedy, Johnson, Clinton), tacitly racist (it's a generational thing) and pro-life but pro-gay marriage, conservative enough to appeal to most of the party but would be disliked by the base because "establishment"

I imagine some sort of progressive third party would emerge, as richer liberals would be disillusioned. The Bay Area, Seattle, and the Northeast would not like the Dems because of their social conservatism but the Republicans are not moderate enough for liberals to climb aboard. Assuming that these are the only two tickets on the ballot, though...

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33:49 PM »

My maternal grandparents were Welsh nationalists. How would that play in the US?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 10:56:50 PM »

Dad's dad was a strongly "pro-civil rights" Republican (I quote it, because in classic GOP style of the time, he saw it as a Southern, not a national, problem) who owned his own business, and my grandma voted Republican but wasn't overly political.  My mom's dad was a manager at a Dairy Queen and then later a milkman, and he was a classic swing voter.  His wife did secretary work in hospitals and was a lifelong Democrat.

Paternal (R) vs. Maternal (D)

rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »

Maternal Grandfather (D-NY)/Maternal Grandmother (D-NJ): Establishment Democrats, New York Jews. Very bland.
Paternal Grandfather (R-OH)/Paternal Grandmother (R-WV): Grandpa was establishment and a war vet. Grandma was a centrist and relatively pro-choice.

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2015, 12:20:16 AM by Sawx, King in the North »

My paternal grandfather liked George Wallace. In the mid-2000s.

Yeah. Plus I'm fairly sure that my maternal grandfather could have actually done well in politics if he went past local government.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »

Actually pretty close to the real map.

Maternal side (blue)- Both are Sicilian Catholics who have lived in New Orleans there whole lives. My grandpa is tilts right overall but really tries to understand all sides of issues. He likes (and remembers well) the good ol' boy Democrats like Longs and will vote for Democrats like the Landrieus. My grandma is further to the right and is more religious.

Paternal side (red)- My grandpa died about 8 years before I was born. He was from southern West Virginia, so I'm assuming would be a Democrat. My grandma is by far the most liberal. She's a first or (second, maybe) generation Irish Catholic from Boston and still has an accent after living in New Orleans for 30+ years. She supported Hillary in 2008 but was (is) fine with Obama.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 09:56:07 PM »

Ooh this is gonna be fun, I'm gonna do a map where the grandmothers are on the top of the ticket and another map for the reverse.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 02:26:09 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2015, 02:31:56 AM by badgate »

Meme vs. Nanny

Barbara Jenks / Joseph Johnston - 326
Alma Hebert / Otis Morris - 212

Bumpa vs. Pawpaw

Joseph Johnston / Barbara Jenks - 273
Otis Morris / Alma Hebert - 265
Pages: [1]