1980 American Union National Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:28:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1980 American Union National Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: More chaotic than it probably should have been
American Union: Vice President Charles H. Percy of Illinois

American Union: Congressman Larry McDonald of Georgia

American Union: Former Governor Ronald Reagan of California

American Union: Senator George H.W. Bush of Texas

American Union: Senator Bob Dole of Kansas

American Union: Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee

American Union: Former President Barry Goldwater of Arizona

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: 1980 American Union National Convention  (Read 1883 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:26:20 PM »

1980 would be a fascinating election to observe for a couple of reasons. While turmoil and the ultimate upset over at the WP caught international attention (more on that later), the AU also faced difficulties of its own. President Taft, unpopular in his own party, faced primary challenges on all sides. While he was able to win a plurality of delegates from the contests, his lead was far from a majority, which meant the nomination would be settled at the convention. On July 1, about two weeks away from the convention's start, Taft suffered a major heart attack while attending a meeting with business leaders. Taft would not die at the same age as his father had, but the health scare forced him to withdraw from the race and retire at the end of his term. This left the nomination essentially for anybody's grabbing, and soon the convention would resemble more of a free-for-all. Vice President Chuck Percy jumped in, hoping to consolidate Taft's supporters and continue on his legacy. Other candidates that announced their last-minute bids include Senators Bob Dole and Howard Baker. Finally, a significant draft movement emerged for nominating former President Barry Goldwater, an intensely divisive figure but adored by conservatives. Reports have surfaced that the Reagan camp is actively whipping delegates to unite behind Goldwater should Reagan fail to become the frontrunner.

Who will become the nominee? That is left up to you, AU delegates. Two days.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:01 PM »

McDonald.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »

The banana
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:38:46 PM »

Percy seems like a decent guy, so him.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 11:53:04 PM »

Howard Baker is the man to unite the party.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »

Whoever makes it easier for a reverse IRL 1980 that gives the landslide to Frank Church/Jimmy Carter

NOTE: What, I can wish can't I?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »

For people from the, er, opposite camp who might strategically vote a certain way, that has its own repercussions. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »

All hail the return of President Goldwater!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 12:28:22 AM »

For people from the, er, opposite camp who might strategically vote a certain way, that has its own repercussions. Smiley

Truth be told, I would've sat it out if the results would've been open without voting.

But since I'm number crunching from initial lead to the end, I have to vote to see the direction things will be going.

And I'd have done the same thing to the DA under the same circumstances had Church not been not been solidly nominated.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 02:04:02 AM »

All hail the return of President Goldwater!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 02:06:56 AM »

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 05:37:40 AM »

Shrub the Elder (I seem to have been his only supporter throughout the primaries Tongue )
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2015, 09:39:12 AM by Joffrey Baratheon, King of the Vicious Idiots »

Whoever makes it easier for a reverse IRL 1980 that gives the landslide to Frank Church/Jimmy Carter

Why would Church's runningmate be Carter?  The only vote for VP from a Church supporter was for a Church/Metzenbaum ticket and Carter is in a different party than Church (and one that just nominated LaRouche of all people).  It's not like Church would realistically need Carter's support (or any sort of unity ticket) to win over non-LaRouchies from the WP. Also can we please not do strategic voting?  It just makes the elections less interesting.  I'm not even voting in this primary for that very reason Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »

Why would Church's runningmate be Carter?  The only vote for VP from a Church supporter was for a Church/Metzenbaum ticket and Carter is in a different party than Church (and one that just nominated LaRouche of all people).  It's not like Church would realistically need Carter's support (or any sort of unity ticket) to win over non-LaRouchies from the WP. Also can we please not do strategic voting?  It just makes the elections less interesting.  I'm not even voting in this primary for that very reason Tongue

He wouldn't (hence "I can wish can't I?"):

But keep in mind:

The DA formed on an ideological fallout in the first place, and easily could've not chosen Morse the first time around as Running Mate.

Yes he's not needed for non-LaRocuhie support, but why stop there? The DA have NEVER won the South, and sans 1972 lefty-split that allowed  Taft a landslide, the AU have been losing the Northeast (and even then McCarthy stole votes from the otherwise solidly Muskie rural areas, and otherwise solidly Kennedy urban areas).

1976 before the final hour had Sanford holding up in the Northeast and dominating in the South, and in the end, he still had the South, barely lost Pennsylvania to Bayh, and Vermont to Taft, and he kept Maine.

Carter could pretty much do that for the DA, that Metzenbaum couldn't.

WHY would either party deliberately rule out a chance to remain competitive in a weak region and fortify the strong regions?

...But I know that won't happen.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »

But keep in mind:

The DA formed on an ideological fallout in the first place, and easily could've not chosen Morse the first time around as Running Mate.

Yes he's not needed for non-LaRocuhie support, but why stop there? The DA have NEVER won the South, and sans 1972 lefty-split that allowed  Taft a landslide, the AU have been losing the Northeast (and even then McCarthy stole votes from the otherwise solidly Muskie rural areas, and otherwise solidly Kennedy urban areas).

1976 before the final hour had Sanford holding up in the Northeast and dominating in the South, and in the end, he still had the South, barely lost Pennsylvania to Bayh, and Vermont to Taft, and he kept Maine.

WHY would either party deliberately rule out a chance to remain competitive in a weak region and fortify the strong regions?

Because there is no reason to assume a little known Governor of Georgia who is way to the right of the DA would lock up the South.  Plus Carter had a terrible temperament for elected office and was a pretty bad President IRL.  Metzenbaum would've been great and locked up Ohio!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »

But keep in mind:

Because there is no reason to assume a little known Governor of Georgia who is way to the right of the DA would lock up the South.  Plus Carter had a terrible temperament for elected office and was a pretty bad President IRL.  Metzenbaum would've been great and locked up Ohio!

Agreed about the temperament and the lack of "need" of unity, but highly disagreed about the rest (mostly because the electoral history is vastly different here), and I'm leaving it at that.

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »

One is upset that Reagan has not won more votes.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »

Reagan got 4 votes in the primaries thread. Methinks they have migrated over to Goldwater since I added him here.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »

Reagan got 4 votes in the primaries thread. Methinks they have migrated over to Goldwater since I added him here.

Most likely. I know I'm a Reagan/Goldwater voter.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 08:51:39 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=178971.msg4475270#msg4475270

This what things look like right now, one has to be nominated, so be mindful because right now there is a big tie, and a bunch of little ones.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »

Reagan, although I'd be happy with Goldwater.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies