Confirmation Hearing: Kalwejt for GM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:02:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Kalwejt for GM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Kalwejt for GM  (Read 1751 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:37 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

The President has nominated the esteemed former everything Kalwejt for the position of GM. Y'all know the drill from here.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »

Mr Kal, we've known each other for a long time. My only questions for you are these... considering some previous traits you've exhibited.

1. Do you intend to be a serious and dedicated GM, considering how important both of those traits are for the position?

2. Do you intend to remain in the position beyond the Lumine Administration?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:29:33 AM »

Kal is a good friend and I believe he would do a fine job. Nonetheless I do have some questions for the nominee:

1) About how many hours per week do you intend to spend on your duties as GM? How often do you think you'd be able to publish updates?

2) Do you feel comfortable coming up with economic numbers and statistics, as will be part of your responsibilities? Do you feel like you have an adequate knowledge of basic macroeconomics and public policy to do this?

3) Activity is of course a frequent problem with GMs. How do you intend to ensure that you stay active and focused on the job of being GM?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:40:10 AM »

Gentlemen, it's a pleasure to appear before this esteemed body once again.

Mr Kal, we've known each other for a long time. My only questions for you are these... considering some previous traits you've exhibited.

1. Do you intend to be a serious and dedicated GM, considering how important both of those traits are for the position?

2. Do you intend to remain in the position beyond the Lumine Administration?

1. The position of GM is of great importance. Atlasia cannot be just a game about winning and losing elections - that's not enough. Atlasia should be a real political simulation, and for that we need someone to provide background and generate certain events. I feel comfortable with such a task.

I don't want to be a cliche, focusing almost entirely on domestic stuff (it doesn't mean I would neglect it, of course). In real world, we are all affected by the international developments, and, for plausibility's sake, Atlasia should be as well. I'm intending to be both innovative and realistic, so don't expect stuff like "Chinese invades California" from me Wink

It's true I haven't been always as dedicated as I should have been, but I'm determined to carry out the duties as GM if confirmed.

2. The final decision would rest with Lumine's successor, but yes, I would like to continue. There's little point of having to appoint a new GM after a few weeks. We've already experienced problems with filling this critical position.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:55:31 AM »

Kal is a good friend and I believe he would do a fine job. Nonetheless I do have some questions for the nominee:

1) About how many hours per week do you intend to spend on your duties as GM? How often do you think you'd be able to publish updates?

2) Do you feel comfortable coming up with economic numbers and statistics, as will be part of your responsibilities? Do you feel like you have an adequate knowledge of basic macroeconomics and public policy to do this?

3) Activity is of course a frequent problem with GMs. How do you intend to ensure that you stay active and focused on the job of being GM?

1. I plan to spend at least one hour per day for research, including reading the Atlasia boards in depth. As of updates, it's going to be regular (having been involved in writing timelines and participating in other games, I always enjoyed this part). I'll try to publish at least two full updates per week, not including possible "breaking news".

Truth be told, doing "too much" is more of a problem than "doing too little" for me Wink

2. I'm not an expert on this field, but I'm convinced I can manage (otherwise I would never accept the nomination). If there's a problem, I have friends to consult.

3. Barring the unexpected and serious RL emergency, I'll stay as active online as usually. The importance of GM position is too important for me to neglect it, if confirmed. I would hate to let you guys down.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »

Well, what was already obvious has been confirmed by Kal's answers to those questions. I more than enthustiastically support the nominee.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »

To what extent will your news events diverge from reality?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »

I will obviously vote to confirm Kalwejt as GM. I mean, I know he's someone who is extremely committed in his work and I'm sure he will managed to do his job impartially.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »

To what extent will your news events diverge from reality?

Well, that's a fairly difficult question, Senator. As stated before, I fully recognize a need to be plausible. That is, of course, taking into an account Atlasian specifics. As of international news, the overall background, at least when I start, won't differ much with the present situation, which is a point of start. But you can expect more original developments to come (because there's no point of mimicking the RL in every aspect), within the realm of plausibility. I won't go for a bull such as "Russia invades Spain", but there will be creativity Wink
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »

Thanks for your answers.
I enthustiastically support the nominee.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »

I'm satisfied with Kalwejt's answers and am confident he will be an effective GM. I'll vote for confirmation.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »

Kalwejt, aka Kaljewi aka Kal "The Crazy Pole" Kalwejt,

What is your view on the present arrangement regarding the Game Moderate, SoIA and SoEA? What is your personal preference for this arrangement and also would you seek any changes to the position in your time as Game Moderator?

Do you plan to continue the Nix and successor's approach to reviewing legislation leaving the calculating to the drafters or do you favor a return to the old approach?

Also does having a Crazy Polish GM mean we will get war with Russia? Does having an anti-death penalty GM mean war with some country that still allows capital punishment?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »

Kalwejt, aka Kaljewi aka Kal "The Crazy Pole" Kalwejt,

What is your view on the present arrangement regarding the Game Moderate, SoIA and SoEA? What is your personal preference for this arrangement and also would you seek any changes to the position in your time as Game Moderator?

Do you plan to continue the Nix and successor's approach to reviewing legislation leaving the calculating to the drafters or do you favor a return to the old approach?

Also does having a Crazy Polish GM mean we will get war with Russia? Does having an anti-death penalty GM mean war with some country that still allows capital punishment?

1. The SoEA and I already agreed on working more closely on foreign issues, such as the GM providing positions for non-playable countries during negotiations (more specifically, the Middle East). I haven't spoke with the SoIA yet, but I'd like to extend this approach on domestic arena as well.

2. I'm leaning toward Nix's approachment.

3. I'm glad you've asked, as it gives me the opportunity to make it clear. The GM must remain neutral, that is impartial and objective. The GM's role is to provide necessary background and plausible challenges, not to advance any political agenda. As much as I would like to nuke Bakersfield, CA (I mean, who doesn't?) or make the life more difficult for the Saudi Royal Family, that's not my role if confirmed.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »

My best wishes to you, Your Former Holiness Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »

I am satisfied with Kal's answers and intend to vote for his confirmation.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 03:22:40 PM »

I'll be supporting the nominee, and hope we can move to the final vote as soon as possible.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »

I'm honoured with support expressed for my nomination and I'll do my utmost to fulfill my obligations if confirmed Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »

The nominee is obviously under no obligation to answer, but I'm curious as to his thoughts on how active he believes the members of his team should be with respect to updates, figures, or just talking to the rest of the game in an official capacity at all.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »

The nominee is obviously under no obligation to answer, but I'm curious as to his thoughts on how active he believes the members of his team should be with respect to updates, figures, or just talking to the rest of the game in an official capacity at all.

I've already pledged to issue at least two regular updates per week, which, along with news, will include expected figures. But I'll try to respond to every question/info request. Some things will be delegated to the Deputy, but how we're going to do this will be determined in practice.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2015, 05:14:24 PM by NE Rep. Griffin »

I've already pledged to issue at least two regular updates per week, which, along with news, will include expected figures. But I'll try to respond to every question/info request. Some things will be delegated to the Deputy, but how we're going to do this will be determined in practice.

I'm confident in your activity levels, but I meant in regards to the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Interior (SoEA/SoIA)? Large segments of the game appear to be willing to allow the Secretary of State to get by with one post per month or less. All three are effectively considered to be part of the 'GM Team', with the GM technically having ultimate authority over the stories they publish. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on what you'll expect from your teammates.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »

I'm confident in your activity levels, but I meant in regards to the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Interior (SoEA/SoIA)? Large segments of the game appear to be willing to allow the Secretary of State to get by with one post per month or less. All three are effectively considered to be part of the 'GM Team', with the GM technically having ultimate authority over the stories they publish. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on what you'll expect from your teammates.

Unfortunately, as we both now, the GM cannot force inactive partners to act. Only President can replace or otherwise discipline them.

But yes, I certainly won't tolerate such inexcusable inactivity and I'm prepeared to say so out loud and ask the President to intervene if there's no progress. One post per month or less does not suffice at all.

Secretary Potus and I agreed on working closely on foreign developments and I trust he'll do his part. I hope to have the same understanding with the SoIA.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »

I thank the nominee for his forthright answer.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »

I thank the nominee for his forthright answer.

My pleasure.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 06:40:25 PM »

I'll be supporting the nominee, and hope we can move to the final vote as soon as possible.

Interpreting this as a motion for a final vote, I'll give a couple hours for any more questions and open one tonight.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:15:04 PM »

Interpreting this as a motion for a final vote, I'll give a couple hours for any more questions and open one tonight.

Mr. Vice President?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies