How can I recieve physical copies of religious texts without paying for them?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:04:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How can I recieve physical copies of religious texts without paying for them?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can I recieve physical copies of religious texts without paying for them?  (Read 1628 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »

I've already sent off for my second(!) free copy of the Qu'ran, and I'd like to get a Book of Mormon, but only if I can get it in the mail, instead of being hand-delivered by a smiling missionary.

I'd like a Catholic/Douay Bible, with the Apocrypha, and anything relating to Hinduism/Buddhism/Sikhism/Jainism/Zoroastrianism.

I also do not want to pay for any of this. Google is telling me nothing.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »

Hare Krishnas will sometimes hand out Bhagavad Gitas. If you don't regularly encounter Hare Krishnas then you can probably contact their organization somehow and ask about that.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 11:32:53 PM »

May I ask what you need these texts for?  College?  Independent study?  Pleasure reading?  If I were you, I'd look more into what you're getting before you settle on something.  The Book of Mormon probably doesn't have too many variations in language, but I don't know if you're looking for something completely basic or if you want an edition with more features to it.

Keep in mind, of course, that you can pretty much find any religious text online for free.  I skimmed through a few pages of the Qur'an a couple weeks ago on a Muslim website.  (Although I personally don't enjoy reading books on a computer screen.)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »

Having a short talking with a couple missionaries may be your only way to get a free book of Mormon unless you have Latter-Day Saint friends.

Bibles shouldn't be any further away than your nearest church. I seriously doubt anyone would say no if you asked for one.
Meursault
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:38:52 PM »

I want them for personal and comparative study, and for inspiration in my own writing. But I only have cellular Internet access for the time being, and prefer paper copies anyway.

I found a website offering free translated copies of the Bhagavad-Gita, freegita.net. But they ship from China, so I'm dubious that my copy will actually arrive.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »

http://www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon

Although it does mention being delivered by missionaries.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

About.com has some good advice that might help you in your search for the Catholic Bible.

It's important to remember that nowadays, the Douay-Rheims Bible isn't often used by Catholic churches, since it has been superseded by newer translations, so it might be somewhat difficult to come across a free copy. That being said, the best way you could get a Douay is to go visit a very traditional Catholic church, as they are most likely to employ this particular translation. You should find someone there, like a priest, and just directly tell them that you need a Bible. Chances are, they will give you one from the pews. This has worked for me; I've gotten free hymnals and Bibles from churches by just mentioning that I could use one.

Also, you could try and see if one of the large Bible societies like Biblica or the American Bible Society and see if they have the Douay-Rheims. If they do, you could ask if they will send you one for free. They might, but I'm not sure if they send out individual Bibles.
htc710
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »

I know I'm VERY late to the party, but f you want a free Book of Mormon, and are traveling soon, try staying at a Marriott. They have Books of Mormon on every room, along with the Gideon Bible. You're free to take it with you, if you'd like.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:03:18 PM »

Go to a hotel and take the Bible in the room.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »

Just go to a thrift store and get one for like $1 - $5; they're very easy to find.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 11:40:51 PM »

You can get most of them (except for $cientology texts, in case you call that a religion) free through Project Gutenberg through your computer or especially an e-reader.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies