The People's Convention, February and also March 2015 - Foucaulf wins primary.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:54:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The People's Convention, February and also March 2015 - Foucaulf wins primary.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: The People's Convention, February and also March 2015 - Foucaulf wins primary.  (Read 9617 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2015, 04:35:30 PM »

Mr. Chairman, does not Dkrolga automatically receive The Party's endorsement by virtue of being the only declared TPP candidate?

Indeed, but since there's been several people asking for an open vote I would assume there's no objection to suspending the rules and holding a ballot.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »

As we consider the possibility of entering yet another election without a TPP candidate on the ballot, I must admit I'm reluctant to surrender one of our Senate seats to another party without a fight. I'm equally hesitant to nominate a candidate with no prior experience in government who wasn't even a member of The Party until very recently. While I have no personal quarrel with Dkrol or either of the candidates seeking our endorsement, I wonder whether there is a more experienced TPPer who might be willing to step up and carry the party's banner, at least for the remainder of the current session?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »

As we consider the possibility of entering yet another election without a TPP candidate on the ballot, I must admit I'm reluctant to surrender one of our Senate seats to another party without a fight. I'm equally hesitant to nominate a candidate with no prior experience in government who wasn't even a member of The Party until very recently. While I have no personal quarrel with Dkrol or either of the candidates seeking our endorsement, I wonder whether there is a more experienced TPPer who might be willing to step up and carry the party's banner, at least for the remainder of the current session?

DKrolga is actually polling pretty well from what I've seen (usual caveats about Atlasia polling apply).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2015, 12:59:14 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen,

It is my sincere belief that in this election there are clear choices to be made, and that I am the best choice in this race.

While there is certainly a public impression about me that is potent, many of you have worked with me in public or in private at one point or another and know that I am always about coming to a consensus and making deals for the betterment of all involved. I've never been one to blow smoke where it doesn't belong - I think everyone knows that - and it may be a primary factor in why you should consider me as your at-large Senate preference next week. I am easily approachable, candid and blunt about my intentions; you always know what you are getting with me and that is something that should be considered a benefit when dealing with the mechanisms of government. In addition, I have been around long enough and involved extensively enough with virtually all forms of this game to be ready to hit the ground running from Day One.

In fact, I've been around long enough to remember the original inception of The People and personally have been allied with The People even before certain antagonists entered the picture. We have elected several presidential tickets together and collaborated on God knows how many efforts - many publicly known and others not so much - over the past two and a half years. In fact, many of you (maybe half?) were in the Labor Party at one point during my tenure as Chair, and before and/or after that once joining/rejoining TPP, our two Parties have been historically allied with one another. While you may have left for one reason or another, I can't think of anyone who left due to my actions against them. As such, many of us have a history together - including the one for whom this election is being held to replace - and I think that should be worth something.

In comparison, the other candidates in this race do not share a similar bond. The potential front-runner for your nomination merely joined one week ago and some would like to provide him with a coronation due to three letters. Another has an ideology that broadly does not comport with this Party, and yet another isn't even in the same hemisphere from an ideological perspective. Close to half of the members of this Party are ideologically more similar to me than the rest of the candidates, and while that may sound offensive (Tongue), it is fundamentally the truth. There is a lot of talk about the number 6 and what that entails. I do not believe it fair to automatically deny me the opportunity to represent you because a select number of individuals occupy Senate seats already, just as it wouldn't have been fair to electorally regulate Senate representation of The People based on their past registration numbers. I also believe that many are aware that Labor holding 3 seats in a traditional at-large election is highly unlikely.

I am a realist, mechanics-oriented, and above all else, someone who is skilled at counting votes and knowing where people are likely to fall. As such, I do not expect to win the nomination of this convention, but I will simply ask that I be given consideration by its members and that those who understand what I speak of here today to be open-minded in their selection. Being a realist, I will work toward the advancement of our common interests, will be consistently active in the Senate and will help to bridge a gap that has widened across our political parties in recent times. There are few who are better equipped to do all of the above, and certainly no others in this at-large special election.

I thank this convention for its time and its consideration.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2015, 06:10:17 AM »

I too would like to appear on the ballot and I will post a statement later today.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »

Normally, I would be sceptical about a recent recruit running for the Senate, but since we're expanding (and thus, need to consolidate) and he can appeal to the Federalist types, we should stick with DKrol instead of endorsing independent.

Also, as the previous posted pointed out, we're fighting to keep the seat vacated by a fellow TPP member.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »

Normally, I would be sceptical about a recent recruit running for the Senate, but since we're expanding (and thus, need to consolidate) and he can appeal to the Federalist types, we should stick with DKrol instead of endorsing independent.

Also, as the previous posted pointed out, we're fighting to keep the seat vacated by a fellow TPP member.

This, plus I also worry we'd be setting a bad precedent if we gave the formal nomination to a Laborite or Independent instead when there is a member of The Party running.  DKrolga should be able to count on his party's formal endorsement.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure why we're having an open nomination. I know Krol is new and untested but I'm uncomfortable suspending our bylaws to endorse someone else. I'd like to have seen the labor party support one of our candidates since we joined them to elect Bore and a host of other labor members last election, but I don't always get what I want.

At this juncture, aside from someone else in our oarty running, Krol should be our candidate. That's nothing against the others, but it seems weird to endorse someone not in our party that's running an active campaign.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »

Okay guys, I've noted your concerns and understand where you're coming from. With that in mind I'm going to open a 24 hour vote on whether to suspend the rules and open the nomination to a full ballot.

Please vote for one of the below options. The vote begins now.

Should the by-laws be temporarily suspended and an open ballot for the Senate endorsement held?

[X] Yes

[ ] No
Foucaulf
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:58 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 01:30:47 PM by Foucaulf »

Citizens, Atlasians, Members of The People's Party,

I am honoured to have the opportunity to address you. I know that this is an extraordinary nomination, and I know your time is precious. (I think I'm about to be shooed off-stage, too.) I won't ramble about my policies here; there are plenty of them in my campaign thread. I want to talk to you about vision.

The People's Party, to me and others, is about respect for The People. What does this mean in practice? It means listening to The People, fighting hard as hell for The People, and actively engaging The People in their unheard struggles. I've been on both ends of that conversation. I doubt there is anyone running for Senate or in the chamber - absent Senator Polnut, perhaps - who point out the forgotten issues The People face as much as I do.

I'm engaged in conversation. Is DKrolGA engaged in that conversation? Absolutely not: in his world, the campaign is all about him! Read his campaign thread: it's filled with phrases like "I believe blah," or "I feel blah," or "I study a woolly major because blah." Always this focus on the individual! TPP deserves someone better - someone who will throw out his biases if it harms The People.

I am personally committed to TPP's principles more than any party. I have working relationships with several party members, such as Governor Simfan, Justice Oakvale and Governor Flo. There is only one reason why I didn't adopt the party after the Federalist collapse. I wanted to follow a politics that had as little to do with labels as possible. This campaign is all about the issues.

But, if enough members on the floor want me to adopt The Party before they issue their support, I will join and devote myself to The People's Party in the next 12 hours.

Thank you.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 01:58:09 PM by X »

Should the by-laws be temporarily suspended and an open ballot for the Senate endorsement held?

[ ] Yes

[X]No
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »

I understand some of your concerns endorsing a relatively new member, but I think it's important for unity. No to the temp suspension.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2015, 12:45:11 PM »

I guess so as well, while I would not neccesarily be to a Foucaulf candidacy backed by The People, I deem it wise for party unity to refrain to a party candidate if such is in the race.

NO, as well.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »

Before I vote one way or the other, it appears that Foucaulf wishes to join The Party. If this convention votes no, and it appears to be going that way, there will be a primary between the two, yes?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2015, 01:24:12 PM »

[ ] Yes

[X] No
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »

Before I vote one way or the other, it appears that Foucaulf wishes to join The Party. If this convention votes no, and it appears to be going that way, there will be a primary between the two, yes?

He's welcome to join and all, but I'd hope (and expect) that DKrolga would still get the nomination without a primary given the circumstances.  Then again, I think it is pretty silly that we're even considering opening an endorsement vote to begin with.  Focaulf is welcome to reach out to members of The Party and make his case if he so chooses, but DKrolga should get The Party's formal endorsement this time around.  Personally, I'd hope Focaulf would join The Party regardless of who gets the endorsement given the sentiments he just expressed in his speech.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »

He's welcome to join and all, but I'd hope (and expect) that DKrolga would still get the nomination without a primary given the circumstances.  Then again, I think it is pretty silly that we're even considering opening an endorsement vote to begin with.  Focaulf is welcome to reach out to members of The Party and make his case if he so chooses, but DKrolga should get The Party's formal endorsement this time around.  Personally, I'd hope Focaulf would join The Party regardless of who gets the endorsement given the sentiments he just expressed in his speech.

I agree that we should not even be doing this, however the party has not formally endorsed DKrolga yet and Foucaulf appears to be switching parties, so that would entail a primary election as I understand it.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

That's correct.

It should be noted that our problem here is that the by-laws state -

You must be logged in to read this quote.

However since you could arguably consider the "bumped" Convention thread to be a brand new one, it's easier to just move to suspend the rules entirely to clear up the ambiguity.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »

[X] Yes
[ ] No

I dislike the idea that a candidate can join The Party and within less than a week be able to expect the support of a vast majority of members as a Senate nominee. Seems like a system that could easily be taken advantage of.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »

That's correct.

It should be noted that our problem here is that the by-laws state -

You must be logged in to read this quote.

However since you could arguably consider the "bumped" Convention thread to be a brand new one, it's easier to just move to suspend the rules entirely to clear up the ambiguity.

Ah, well then there must be a primary.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »

Yes, let's have an open primary. Normally I wouldn't care, but considering dkrol's only been here for less than a week, people could join TPP just for the endorsement and switch to another party.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »

Foucaulf
The People's Party
Minnesota

(last one in a while, I hope)

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 04:57:33 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

[  ] Yes
[X] No

When is the election? Depending on this it may be that neither DKrol nor Foucaulf would be eligible for automatic endorsement or it might be that they both would be. Either way, it would mean a primary is necessary. Regardless, I support one.

It might be worth amending the by-laws to allow that if a certain percentage of The Party petitions to hold a vote on an otherwise automatically endorsed candidate that such a vote would be held. The sort of farce we saw with JCL imposing himself as the Federalist candidate for President (and perhaps sealing their fate) despite a plurality of the party having voted against endorsing his candidacy must at all costs not be allowed to repeat itself in our Party.

If we want party unity the best way to ensure this is by allowing all voices to be heard before making a choice one way or another; you can even call it democratic centralism if you want! I will say this now, I pledge to vote for whoever The Party votes to nominate in this race, regardless of my own preferences, provided that we hold a vote. I would even vote for Adam Griffin, who kindly took the time to insult me in his speech as some ancillary antagonist whose presence ended got in the way of his personal alliance "with The People" (despite the fact I joined the first incarnation of The Party the day after it was founded and registered in the second before it was even re-formed, which "coincidentally" happened the day I returned), if The Party voted to endorse him. I simply ask that we hold a vote first.

EDIT: As we now have two members of The Party seeking nomination, the bylaws mandate that a vote on the nomination be held, so this vote is moot and I am changing my vote on principle, since it is true that we should not just be deviating from our bylaws whenever.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »

I guess it is worth asking whether Krol joined in the last two weeks. Did he? if not, then an open primary makes more sense.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »

Dkrolga
The People's Party
Massachusetts

(Just changing party, not state or region)

He joined 8 days ago, but it depends on when the election actually is. The funny thing is, Bacon King has not actually resigned yet, meaning that all these candidates are running for an election that as of now is not scheduled to take place nor has to take place. The real question is, I suppose, when does Bacon King resign and how long after that would the election be held? To the Constitution!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies