Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:14:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)  (Read 14296 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2015, 04:12:18 AM »

Cranberry and myself voting against the rest of the senate? Surprising Tongue.

Must be the pinko European curse Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2015, 08:05:44 AM »

Can someone take up this amendment?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article V, Section II, Subsection VI is hereby amended to read:

[/quote]

Basically it clarifies a bit of the language, changes the state changing to 6 months, get's rid of the RG clause (I wouldn't really mind if the SOFE was removed instead of the RG but for the
map to break the deadlock we really need to have one person doing it because we don't want the people breaking the deadlock to deadlock themselves. It also specifies that the governors stay on the commission even if they lose re election and makes the commission meeting public.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »

I guess those are sensible changes. I do as well think that just one person should be the final one responsible to draw the map if the governors are deadlocked, simply because as you said, it would be most unfortunate if the people that should resolve the deadlock are deadlock themselves.

I will sponsor the amendment for you, if you want to.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »

Do we really need a senate confirmation process on these maps?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »

Or what if we just had a vote among the senators who are chosen by the district system? The first time around would have to be a little different, but it could work once we've got the ball rolling. I do agree that getting the whole senate involved might be unnecessary, but surely these senators (and the people they represent) have a stake in how the maps shape up.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »

I don't think Senators should have any say in how the districts that elect them are drawn. That just encourages corruption and self-serving votes.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »

Or what if we just had a vote among the senators who are chosen by the district system? The first time around would have to be a little different, but it could work once we've got the ball rolling. I do agree that getting the whole senate involved might be unnecessary, but surely these senators (and the people they represent) have a stake in how the maps shape up.
In this case, we should insert a new clause to the text, considered that districts should be approved for the first time first of the August election and first of that election, senators who are chosen by districts don't exist.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »

I cannot support the addition of a bunch of bureaucracy involving the Senate (the Senate, despite its constant wishes, doesn't need to provide consent nor have its hands on everything) nor the lack of a clarified timeline for when redistricting will take place.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »

I'm on board with most of this amendment, but I agree with Lief that we can't have senators voting on their own districts. That adds a totally unnecessary and silly layer of bureaucracy.

Another thing here is that it might be preferential for the R.G. to be the backup map drawer because he or she is the one most involved in the process of collecting voter rolls by state, etc., while the SoFE is primarily an election administration official. Not a big deal for me either way, but just a thought.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »

I'm on board with most of this amendment, but I agree with Lief that we can't have senators voting on their own districts. That adds a totally unnecessary and silly layer of bureaucracy.

Another thing here is that it might be preferential for the R.G. to be the backup map drawer because he or she is the one most involved in the process of collecting voter rolls by state, etc., while the SoFE is primarily an election administration official. Not a big deal for me either way, but just a thought.

Actually that's a good point Talleyrand. Another reason for this is that the SOFE would be on the commission which deadlocks, so giving him the power to draw the deadlock map might be a conflict of interest. Now I'm certain that wouldn't happen with homely, but it's certainly possible that a future SOFE might do that.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2015, 02:59:12 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2015, 03:02:48 PM by Mideast Senator and Senate speaker windjammer »

Quote from: Restricted

[/quote]

Well, no one has sponsored Bore's amendment. So here's my amendment: Basically talleyrand and bore's concerns.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »

Cranberry sponsored it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »

He didn't:
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »

Windjammer's amendment has been adopted.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2015, 08:04:51 AM »

I agree that Senators should not be involved at all in the process.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »

I don't really care too much either way, but I agree that getting the whole senate involved could turn into a distraction, especially when it's not really necessary.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »

[/quote]

Here is my amendment, basically getting rid of the senate involvement in the redistricting. I basically agree with Polnut and Hagrid.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2015, 10:39:48 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2015, 09:35:54 PM by Senator Griffin »

I may or may not be here by the time Senator Windjammer's amendment is adopted or rejected, but I offer the following amendment to be considered thereafter, formatted based on the assumption that his amendment will be adopted. Obviously, portions in bolded red font are notes and not to be included in the actual amendment if adopted.

Summary of changes:

1) Cleaned up some language/formatting issues I noticed in the original and subsequent amendments offered; attempted to clarify several existing portions more thoroughly.

2) Establishes a precise time-table using the 8-week method I outlined earlier in debate; the initial commission of Governors/SoFE would have 4 weeks/28 days to produce a set of maps with 4/5ths approval among themselves; if they fail, then the RG would have the same amount of time to product a set of maps, with the process ending no later than 46 days before the commencement of the election. It also adds a concrete time-table as to when the conversion from at-large to district-based Class B elections would begin (Clause 8 ).

3) Stipulated a more accurate use of the Census figures to base maps off of; each 4-week commission would use the most recent Census update prior to their particular redistricting period (instead of it being fixed to a Census update that could be potentially months old if/by the time the RG were tasked with creating the maps).

4) Specified how to handle non-contiguous territories (Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Oceania). In this amendment, they would be required to be in a district in which at least one other territory from their Region is included.

5) Updated the Constitutional text we're amending to reflect current text, which was ratified by the regions as part of the PRAF of 2014 and details how to handle special elections for seats vacated 35 days or more (not 21 days or more) before the end of the term. I also added reference to the statute portion of PRAF of 2014 that pertains to the handling of vacant Class B Senate seats less than 35 days before the end of the term (for clarification's sake).

6) Did away with the (what would now be) confusing state/regional moving differences; with the District system, nobody would be able to move from state to state more than once every six months. This language is now simplified to state that.

[/quote]

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2015, 04:09:22 PM »

Windjammer's amendment has been adopted.

Senators have 36 hours to object to Griffin's amendment.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »

I believe Senator Griffin's amendment is a good one.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »

As do I. I will definitely be voting in favor of it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »

As do I. I will definitely be voting in favor of it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »

Just to clear up a potential language issue, I have replaced two instances of 'DoFE' with 'Secretary of Federal Elections' in the language. This potential could have created an issue as the 'Department of Federal Elections' simultaneously isn't a person and is comprised of multiple people. I don't know if that resets the clock on this or whatever, but it was a needed alteration that doesn't change the dynamic of the amendment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies