Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:56:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)  (Read 14301 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »

I guess you would have to include Canadian territories as well.
Otherwise this looks good to me.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2015, 08:07:07 PM »

Can we do a final vote?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #227 on: April 20, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »

Is any senator willing to offer my amendment?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2015, 06:57:14 AM »

Oh yes, I will, including Canadian territories as well.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article V, Section II, Subsection VI is hereby amended to read:

[/quote]
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »

Apologies if this has already been covered, but given the recent controversy about people contacting new members and getting them to move, would it be perhaps be worth abolishing the "free move" for new members while we're doing this?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

Apologies if this has already been covered, but given the recent controversy about people contacting new members and getting them to move, would it be perhaps be worth abolishing the "free move" for new members while we're doing this?

I don't know, but I don't really think there are any great problems with the initial move possibility... Just my point of view though, if my dear colleagues think otherwise, I would not have a problem with that.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

Cranberry's amendment looks fine.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

I don't know, but I don't really think there are any great problems with the initial move possibility... Just my point of view though, if my dear colleagues think otherwise, I would not have a problem with that.

It's probably not worth delaying this amendment any further for, but it might be an idea to consider in the future.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »

It's probably not worth delaying this amendment any further for, but it might be an idea to consider in the future.

Yes, I'm too of the opinion of getting this thing finally going Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »

You're right. It needs to be abolished.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »

I'm agnostic about the change oakvale suggests, but experience shows the more things an amendment deals with the less likely it is to pass, so seeing as this is basically a separate issue it should wait for another amendment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »

And senators have 36 hours to object.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »

The other thing to consider is that for the sake of updating the constitution and not cluttering it with too many amendments, it might be a good idea to include the change oakvale suggests in this amendment anyway. We are already heavily altering the registration rules.

BTW, where exactly in the constitution is "one free move"? I know it's a silly question, but I've never been able to find it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »

I don't necessarily see oakvale's suggestion as a poison pill, but I also don't really see how it's related to the current set of changes. It's a different issue entirely that I haven't given much thought to, and I don't really want to have to think about it in this particular debate. I have no strong feelings one way or the other, but I'm thinking that keeping this amendment as simple as possible would be advantageous to those of us who want to see the amendment pass.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2015, 08:57:22 AM »

That was a lot of words to say basically nothing, but yeah. Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »

So, final vote time?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »

The other thing to consider is that for the sake of updating the constitution and not cluttering it with too many amendments, it might be a good idea to include the change oakvale suggests in this amendment anyway. We are already heavily altering the registration rules.

BTW, where exactly in the constitution is "one free move"? I know it's a silly question, but I've never been able to find it.

My understanding is that actually comes from the ambiguity here -

i.e. the initial registration is not changing registration from one region to another and as such does not count against this time limit.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

The At-Large election has some advantages. It is one big electoral event that is for all the nation, the only one aside from the presidential election. It usually gets high participation. Since it is one national election it is easier to organize a debate and have the focus on that. Since it is addressed to all voters it is worth doing a public campaign for a candidate. For candidates it is a chance to come in contact with people in all the nation. At-Large offers a different way for someone to enter the Senate while districts are more identical regional Senate election. Someone who is not popular or not well-known or who is less mainstream but backed by a big party can be elected in At-Large.

The order of preference on the ballott matters because there could be a surplus to be distributed and that could influence the result. Not sure with districts we will get many candidates in each race and the order of preference might not be a factor if it's like regional elections when you only have two candidates. In At-Large it is easier to campaign for yourself while in a two person election you are almost forced to run against your opponent if the race is competitive.

I hope we keep the At-Large. There is risks with the districts, it all depends what those drawing them will do. If the districts are not competitive, not many candidates will run and some districts will be boring. It could lead to unpopular incumbents being put in unfavorable districts. It could lead to more alliances between parties and that could kill competition. If small party members are not put together there is little chance for a small political party to win a district and be represented in the Senate without the desire of a big one. Since a district will regroup people from different areas, the camapigning could be more private to reach the voters instead of doing it in public.   
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »

The At-Large election has some advantages. It is one big electoral event that is for all the nation, the only one aside from the presidential election. It usually gets high participation. Since it is one national election it is easier to organize a debate and have the focus on that. Since it is addressed to all voters it is worth doing a public campaign for a candidate. For candidates it is a chance to come in contact with people in all the nation. At-Large offers a different way for someone to enter the Senate while districts are more identical regional Senate election. Someone who is not popular or not well-known or who is less mainstream but backed by a big party can be elected in At-Large.

The at-large elections are, on the other hand, increasingly rarely competitive. The two most recent elections have featured six candidates running for five seats, with little doubt as to whom the five elected would be. This is often due to the fact that no major party has ever won more than two seats at a general at-large election, or has ever been foolish enough to consciously risk splitting their candidates' vote three ways.

To be fair, I don't think many of the 130 voters actively followed the campaign or paid attention to the debates. Partisanship is far and away the best predictor, time and time again, of how an Atlasian will vote. The supporters you have won with your vigorous campaigning just haven't been enough to match the parties' vigorous GOTV efforts of their registered members, nor is your ideological niche large enough to siphon off enough votes from the center-right or center-left.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Article V, Section II, Subsection VI is hereby amended to read:

[/quote]
Cranberry's amendment has been adopted.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »

In addition to what homely says, it's worth pointing out that although there is this idea (which does appear sensible in theory) that at large elections allow more extreme atlasians to get in, in fact I don't think this is supported by the facts.

TNF has views incredibly far to the left of the average atlasian, yet he has been re elected repeatedly, Deus was one or two votes away from defeating me in the centre left northeast, the mideast before windjammer saw a long line of social conservatives who's views are noticeably to the right of atlasia. In the last few years we have had, as regional senators, atlasia's most socially conservative, most libertarian and most left wing members.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »

Just pooping in here to remind Senators that based on the schedule outlined in the current text, this process would need to be completed - along with ratification - by May 3rd in order to go into effect for the August elections. This means that the bill would need to clear the Senate no later than the 26th to allow for seven-day voting periods in the regions.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »

Just pooping in here to remind Senators that based on the schedule outlined in the current text, this process would need to be completed - along with ratification - by May 3rd in order to go into effect for the August elections. This means that the bill would need to clear the Senate no later than the 26th to allow for seven-day voting periods in the regions.

Ah, I had been wondering about this part.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »

I call for a final vote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »

Well,
So I suspend the following rules:
-the cloture of debate vote
-the necessity of letting 24 hours for vote change

So, a final vote is now open. Please, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies