Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:41:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)  (Read 14295 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2015, 07:33:42 PM »

AYE
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:25 AM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2015, 01:55:21 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2015, 01:59:23 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

In addition to what homely says, it's worth pointing out that although there is this idea (which does appear sensible in theory) that at large elections allow more extreme atlasians to get in, in fact I don't think this is supported by the facts.

TNF has views incredibly far to the left of the average atlasian, yet he has been re elected repeatedly, Deus was one or two votes away from defeating me in the centre left northeast, the mideast before windjammer saw a long line of social conservatives who's views are noticeably to the right of atlasia. In the last few years we have had, as regional senators, atlasia's most socially conservative, most libertarian and most left wing members.

Yes, but Xahar and JCL both got elected as At-Large, I don't think either would have made it into a regional Senator seat though. JCL might have won in early 2014, but their was always a close liberal bloc that would peal off the swing votes that DC or TJ could win and defeat a JCL. The Regional Senate seats have a long history of encouraging less partisan and/or less ideologiclal results because you have to represent the region and unless that region is overwhelmingly lopsided that means appealing to Independents and moderates and so forth. Even the Mideast was rarely that lopsided and a Ben or a HappyWarrior could take it at various points and hold it until retiring.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2015, 02:03:19 AM »

The At-Large election has some advantages. It is one big electoral event that is for all the nation, the only one aside from the presidential election. It usually gets high participation. Since it is one national election it is easier to organize a debate and have the focus on that. Since it is addressed to all voters it is worth doing a public campaign for a candidate. For candidates it is a chance to come in contact with people in all the nation. At-Large offers a different way for someone to enter the Senate while districts are more identical regional Senate election. Someone who is not popular or not well-known or who is less mainstream but backed by a big party can be elected in At-Large.

The at-large elections are, on the other hand, increasingly rarely competitive. The two most recent elections have featured six candidates running for five seats, with little doubt as to whom the five elected would be. This is often due to the fact that no major party has ever won more than two seats at a general at-large election, or has ever been foolish enough to consciously risk splitting their candidates' vote three ways.

Though not necessarily a major party, The Democratic Alliance won three in an election. And several parties have tried for three seats, including Labor if I am not mistaken, as well as the Federalists, RPP, JCP and some others.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #255 on: April 23, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »

Reluctant aye, I guess. This is obviously going to fail the regional ratification votes though.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »

In addition to what homely says, it's worth pointing out that although there is this idea (which does appear sensible in theory) that at large elections allow more extreme atlasians to get in, in fact I don't think this is supported by the facts.

TNF has views incredibly far to the left of the average atlasian, yet he has been re elected repeatedly, Deus was one or two votes away from defeating me in the centre left northeast, the mideast before windjammer saw a long line of social conservatives who's views are noticeably to the right of atlasia. In the last few years we have had, as regional senators, atlasia's most socially conservative, most libertarian and most left wing members.

Yes, but Xahar and JCL both got elected as At-Large, I don't think either would have made it into a regional Senator seat though. JCL might have won in early 2014, but their was always a close liberal bloc that would peal off the swing votes that DC or TJ could win and defeat a JCL. The Regional Senate seats have a long history of encouraging less partisan and/or less ideologiclal results because you have to represent the region and unless that region is overwhelmingly lopsided that means appealing to Independents and moderates and so forth. Even the Mideast was rarely that lopsided and a Ben or a HappyWarrior could take it at various points and hold it until retiring.

JCL scraped by in an at large where labor were at their weakest. He also ran in the at large elections in December, April 2014 and August 2013 and lost all of them. Xahar ran a literal joke campaign and only won because after labor had ensured it's senators had won they directed their remaining zombies to vote for him.

If labor or the federalists were willing to put a bit of work in, they could get xahar and jcl elected to regional seats. Again, TNF is a regional senator. Xahar's problem would be that he was running a literal joke campaign. It's like someone castigating the UK election system because the Monster Raving Loony Party has never won a seat. Again, JCL's views do not differ that much from DC or TJ.

The evidence simply does not bear out the idea that people with views outside the mainstream are less likely to get elected in regional elections.

The At-Large election has some advantages. It is one big electoral event that is for all the nation, the only one aside from the presidential election. It usually gets high participation. Since it is one national election it is easier to organize a debate and have the focus on that. Since it is addressed to all voters it is worth doing a public campaign for a candidate. For candidates it is a chance to come in contact with people in all the nation. At-Large offers a different way for someone to enter the Senate while districts are more identical regional Senate election. Someone who is not popular or not well-known or who is less mainstream but backed by a big party can be elected in At-Large.

The at-large elections are, on the other hand, increasingly rarely competitive. The two most recent elections have featured six candidates running for five seats, with little doubt as to whom the five elected would be. This is often due to the fact that no major party has ever won more than two seats at a general at-large election, or has ever been foolish enough to consciously risk splitting their candidates' vote three ways.

Though not necessarily a major party, The Democratic Alliance won three in an election. And several parties have tried for three seats, including Labor if I am not mistaken, as well as the Federalists, RPP, JCP and some others.

I'm sure it's possible to go far back into atlasian history and find examples of parties running three candidates, but I'm not sure that's relevant to the current party system.

Here are the number of candidates with more than 2 votes for each of the regular at large elections:

April 2015: 6
December 2014: 6
August 2014: 7
April 2014: 6
December 2013: 7
August 2013: 7
April 2013: 7

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »

Aye
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #258 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

Ehh. I'll Abstain on this. I see potential but also downside. I respect that At Large elections are not usually terribly exciting, but I guess I'm not passionate about changing it.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »

Aye
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #260 on: April 23, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »

No irridentism in the Constitution!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #261 on: April 23, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »

I'm torn. As a former party organizer and former at-large senator, I actually thought these contests had the potential to be really fun. That being said, I think it's time to try something new and get the regions more involved in federal politics. This approach could do that... and I think it's worth trying.

Aye
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #262 on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »

7 Ayes------> This has passed the senate.

This is now sent to the regions.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2015, 07:45:35 AM »

Nay FTR
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #264 on: May 01, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »

You know what I am going to do now!!! Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4wY-FhBArw&feature=player_detailpage#t=27

R E L U C T A N T  N A Y FTR and FTW bitches! Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4wY-FhBArw&feature=player_detailpage#t=38

Say hello to Senator Sassy Yankee. Evil
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #266 on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2015, 12:39:04 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

At least I wasn't part of a mass resignation that tanked the Senate for a spell after defeating an incumbent for inactivity the previous fall. Tongue

Also mass resignation was routinely suggested tactic in the RPP, something else you guys inherited from our moderate wing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies