Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:44:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)  (Read 14631 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: February 07, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »

Well,
I like the idea of "senate districts", the current at large system needs to be reformed.

However, I will not vote for this amendment currently written. Why? Simply I believe it would be easy to gerrymander half of the senate seats with this system.

I spent a good time analyzing every state legislature in the US (see my Windjammer Senate PVI and Windjammer house PVI), and as well their system for redistricting. This redistricting system could be easily hijacked by anyone who has the majority of the governor office, or by a coalition of 2 parties against the third.
Right now, TPP has 3 governors and Labor 2. I'm not a federalist but I have to say that the federalists would be really "weakened" by this system, considering they have no governor.

Oh, just to be clear, I applaud the work done by BK, Bore and rpryor and I don't think there are any bad intents behind this system.

So the redistricting system needs to be fixed.
This is however a good idea to make homelycooking, a well known independent and impartial SoFE, chair of the redistricting.

Why are the Federalists owed anything in this process? Surely one of the benefits is that it gives added importance to regional offices.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »

Apologies if this has already been covered, but given the recent controversy about people contacting new members and getting them to move, would it be perhaps be worth abolishing the "free move" for new members while we're doing this?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:14 PM »

Apologies if this has already been covered, but given the recent controversy about people contacting new members and getting them to move, would it be perhaps be worth abolishing the "free move" for new members while we're doing this?

I don't know, but I don't really think there are any great problems with the initial move possibility... Just my point of view though, if my dear colleagues think otherwise, I would not have a problem with that.

It's probably not worth delaying this amendment any further for, but it might be an idea to consider in the future.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »

The other thing to consider is that for the sake of updating the constitution and not cluttering it with too many amendments, it might be a good idea to include the change oakvale suggests in this amendment anyway. We are already heavily altering the registration rules.

BTW, where exactly in the constitution is "one free move"? I know it's a silly question, but I've never been able to find it.

My understanding is that actually comes from the ambiguity here -

You must be logged in to read this quote.

i.e. the initial registration is not changing registration from one region to another and as such does not count against this time limit.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies