Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:54:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Electoral Reform Amendment (Passed)  (Read 14634 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« on: February 07, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
« edited: February 07, 2015, 02:25:17 PM by homelycooking »

I have many questions and concerns, and honestly I'm disappointed by what appears to be such a poorly drafted piece of legislation from the "Commission on Electoral Reform" -  a body of which I had no knowledge until today.

1. What happens if the Senate repeatedly rejects the commission's plan, to the point where a new map is not adopted before the next election?
2. What procedure is in place to govern the breaking of a 3-3 tie in a vote by the commission? Is there a quorum for holding a vote in the commission? What role does the chairman have in the commission's proceedings? How, exactly, is the commission supposed to work and deliberate? "Once they have come up with" is a spectacularly vague piece of language.
3. What does the commission do if the population of Atlasia is not divisible by five, or if a state must be split between districts for the sake of population equality? The proposed language requires that districts "must be equal in population" - there appears to be no qualification of that mandate.
4. Why are there no restrictions on contiguity? Can the commission draw a district comprised of a dozen non-contiguous parts?
5. I can't tell if the commission is intended to meet and redistrict once per year ("becoming valid at the August elections") or once every two Class B election cycles ("shall meet for three months after every other election for Class B Seats").
6. Who are "the representatives of the Governors"? Can a governor act as his own "representative"?

I'm not opposed to working with the Senate to take on new responsibilities for the Department, and I apologize if I come off as unnecessarily officious here. But since Atlasia's principal elections officer is only now giving his unsolicited opinion on this matter, he regrets to inform the Senate and the "Commission on Electoral Reform" that he is opposed to the adoption of this amendment as currently drafted.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2015, 12:05:20 PM by homelycooking »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is the intent here to allow Canadian provinces to be divided between districts? The Canadian provinces are not states. Puerto Rico and Oceania, on the other hand, are.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »

Yes, homely raises a good point, we will have to change that clause further to include provinces and territories.
I do also support Talleyrand's amendment, I see not really point in this. Actually, I'd be quite fun to have Puerto Rico in the same district as Alaska, for example.

Are there any Territories of the Republic of Atlasia? Puerto Rico and Oceania are both states. I'm not sure about DC's status - has it ever been recognized officially as either a state or a territory?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »

The At-Large election has some advantages. It is one big electoral event that is for all the nation, the only one aside from the presidential election. It usually gets high participation. Since it is one national election it is easier to organize a debate and have the focus on that. Since it is addressed to all voters it is worth doing a public campaign for a candidate. For candidates it is a chance to come in contact with people in all the nation. At-Large offers a different way for someone to enter the Senate while districts are more identical regional Senate election. Someone who is not popular or not well-known or who is less mainstream but backed by a big party can be elected in At-Large.

The at-large elections are, on the other hand, increasingly rarely competitive. The two most recent elections have featured six candidates running for five seats, with little doubt as to whom the five elected would be. This is often due to the fact that no major party has ever won more than two seats at a general at-large election, or has ever been foolish enough to consciously risk splitting their candidates' vote three ways.

To be fair, I don't think many of the 130 voters actively followed the campaign or paid attention to the debates. Partisanship is far and away the best predictor, time and time again, of how an Atlasian will vote. The supporters you have won with your vigorous campaigning just haven't been enough to match the parties' vigorous GOTV efforts of their registered members, nor is your ideological niche large enough to siphon off enough votes from the center-right or center-left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies