Article of Impeachment Against Secretary of State POTUS2036
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:21:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Article of Impeachment Against Secretary of State POTUS2036
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Article of Impeachment Against Secretary of State POTUS2036  (Read 2205 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »

While I understand that GM Cynic was more hands on, why were you bound to such a degree by his presence or absence that you knowingly had no public presence for more than a month?

Not a press statement, not a visit, not a speech. Nothing. There was an awful lot you could do without the GM.

The Secretary perhaps understands that while I have personal respect for him, I did not support his nomination for a position I care deeply about, due to his significant issues with activity.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »

Unfortunately, though quite lengthy, the testimony of the Secretary has done little to change my opinion here. The Secretary continues to stress that he was frantically sending private messages during the period he publicly completely abandoned his duties. I once again call on the Secretary to post these PMs publicly, redacting sensitive information if need be, so that the Senate may vote based on all evidence available. Furthermore, I have very little sympathy for the Secretary's apparent defense that his run for higher office caused his inactivity. If the campaign was so draining and distracting, he should have then and should now resign from his position to focus fully on the campaign, so that the President may appoint someone willing to do this incredibly important job.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »

If I could state my own side of the story:

I told Potus that I didn't mind him doing stories on his own and that it was helpful, but I asked that he would have run big stories by me and allow me to act as the NPC nations in important negotiations, such as the Crimea deal.

If I didn't convey to him that he could've done his own stories at all, then I apologize for that, because that wasn't my intent. I just didn't wanna be blindsided and as I wanted to try and make the office useful, I felt that it wouldn't be beneficial to the game for cabinet secretaries to write whatever they wanted to make themselves look like a million bucks (what cabinet official is going to put up a negative story on themselves) so that's why I asked Potus to run important stories by me just for the integrity of the game's sake (I probably would've signed off on almost all of them, but I just wanted the advanced warning).

Now, if I was in the wrong for doing that, I accept and apologize for that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:43 AM »

I will be voting in favor of impeachment.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 04:13:10 AM »

(I probably would've signed off on almost all of them, but I just wanted the advanced warning).

are you saying he didn't send you anything?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »

(I probably would've signed off on almost all of them, but I just wanted the advanced warning).

are you saying he didn't send you anything?

He did send one message asking to simulate another set of negotiations, and I said I would do my best to get to it as soon as I could. I was in the middle of both the budget and a working road trip, so I asked him to be patient. (I don't have his PM anymore on it but I admit that I was at fault in that instance. That was the only time I ever put him off and when I did I still was not intending to resign so I didn't realize when I did that I wouldn't have got back to it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »

Just so I'm understanding you completely, Dr. Cynic: as far as you remember and you records indicate, the Secretary only sent you one private message in the month of January?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »

After reading Cynic's statements, I really can't see an argument not to support the impeachment.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

Out of interest, does impeachment stop you from running for office?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »

Out of interest, does impeachment stop you from running for office?

No.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 11:39:30 PM »

No, but does a hell of a good job "advocating" for your fitness to hold office.

I have actually seen this before. A chain breaks and the scattering effect motivates others to slip up or take a back seat until the chain is reconnected. It is a bad approach to take and at the very least Riley should have made multiple posts in his thread and kept up with postings thereby removing himself as a "source" of the problem. This is especially the case when you cosnider that he is running for President and thus could illustrate that "hey, I did my damndest to carry it all on my shoulders".

I made the same point about Matt back when he was running for President in 2013. That it was a serious mistake to let a golden opportunity pass by as SoIA just because he did what everyone else had (nothing). Subsequent officeholders proved the SoIA could work (Thank god, it was near to be abolished) and had Matt done the same, well who knows but considering the margin, he might have beat Nix in that election.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 11:56:31 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 12:07:44 AM by Lief »

Actually, under Article I, Section 2.5 we can specify a time period for the impeached person to be barred from holding office, but from the language it seems like that had to be done in the articles of impeachment that Comrade-Senator Windjammer introduced.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If 6 or 7 Senators vote for impeachment, there will actually be a public impeachment vote for Secretary Potus running at about the same time as the presidential election, which would certainly be unprecedented. (If less than 6 vote, he will not be impeached. If 8 or more vote to impeach he will automatically be impeached, with no need for a public vote.)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »

As POTUS2036 has resigned, this impeachment hearing is closed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies