Canadian provincial leadership elections 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 06:07:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian provincial leadership elections 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: Canadian provincial leadership elections 2015  (Read 24893 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »

Drainville drops out, endorses PKP. Cloutier will be left to pick up the pieces.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »

PCPO: Elliott doesn't seem terribly optimistic. So who will surrender their seat to Brown if he wins?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »

Can a blue tell me how Brown is winning? This doesn't make any sense. I know he's got key endorsements, but how did it all happen? He's a backbencher with no name recognition. Elliott is the widow of a beloved Finance Minister. Do the Tories want to lose another election? I don't think another slick middle aged white guy (a playboy no less) is going to woo over centrist voters.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »

Can a blue tell me how Brown is winning? This doesn't make any sense. I know he's got key endorsements, but how did it all happen? He's a backbencher with no name recognition. Elliott is the widow of a beloved Finance Minister. Do the Tories want to lose another election? I don't think another slick middle aged white guy (a playboy no less) is going to woo over centrist voters.

a) Flaherty/Elliott were/are socially liberal red Tories, so Elliott was going to be a non-starter with a large minority of the party.

b)From what I'm hearing from my Ontario relatives, Elliott took a coronation for granted and Brown just out organized her. It's about selling memberships, not convincing the members as of when Hudak resigned.

Finally, I have to point out that "move to the middle to win" is just as much a fallacy as "only true _____'s win"
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »

You have to move to the middle to win Ontario. Especially after the Mike Harris years. It's not a fallacy, it's a fact. Hudak's extremism cost his party a sure thing, two elections in a row.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »

Seems to me like the party has deeper problems than platform, having lost 7/9 from both sides in 30 years. Also agreed with DC: best logistician wins.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2015, 10:21:15 PM »

"Progressive" is such a vacuous term.
adma
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2015, 06:23:52 AM »

a) Flaherty/Elliott were/are socially liberal red Tories, so Elliott was going to be a non-starter with a large minority of the party.

Actually, Flaherty was more the right-populist standard-bearer in his runs for the leadership vs Eves and Tory--it's only Elliott that's positioned herself as a "mainstream" Davis heir.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »

Yeah, iirc Flaherty was pro-life, or at least was when he ran for leader.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »

Actually, Flaherty was more the right-populist standard-bearer in his runs for the leadership vs Eves and Tory--it's only Elliott that's positioned herself as a "mainstream" Davis heir.

I never heard that before. Interesting. Mea culpa.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2015, 05:53:41 PM by King of Kensington »

I take it both the Liberals and NDP would both rather have Patrick Brown leading the PCs.  That's obviously the case for the Liberals.  From an NDP point of view, I can see how having a more moderate PC leader would be better in terms of saying "the Liberals and Tories are exactly the same"; on the other hand, having a less mainstream PC leader could help the ONDP seem a more palatable alternative to the Liberals (Hudak's shift to the hard right certainly helped the uptick in the NDP vote in southwestern Ontario).  
DL
Canada

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2015, 05:41:20 PM »

Its not clear to me whether from an NDP point of view, Elliott or Brown is better. On the one hand, Elliott is socially liberal and boring enough that it will be hard for the Liberals to make her into a devil incarnate like they did with Hudak...then again when the PCs had seemingly blah "red Tory" leaders like Ernie Eves and John Tory, the NDP also did really badly and the Liberals won big. The danger with Elliott is that she might be so inoffensive that she could win back some of the votes the PCs lost to the NDP last time. Then  again, i have heard that Elliott is lazy and boring and may just put everyone to sleep.

Brown is sometimes characterized as more rightwing, but the fact is he really hasnt come out with much policy at all and he mostly seems to just be an opportunist who will say anything to win. He has been a social conservative in the past - but I'll bet that if he becomes leader he will quickly "pink wash" himself.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2015, 05:59:19 PM »

I never heard that before. Interesting. Mea culpa.

Also, Flaherty took socially conservative positions on abortion and gay marriage.

Flaherty was raised as a Catholic, and after marriage joined the Anglican church where Elliott went, but he seems to have retained the basic Catholic position on these issues.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »

Cohn on Patrick Brown:

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/04/29/how-patrick-brown-could-be-ontarios-next-premier-cohn.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2015, 06:22:25 PM »

PCPO: Here's today's TVO debate.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »

Watched the debate.  So Patrick Brown thinks Hudak ran as "Liberal lite" last time? 

I learned during this debate that former MPP Joe Tascona is Brown's uncle.  Which means Brown would be the first person of Italian descent to lead a major political party in Ontario.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »

PQ: Snapshot of Ber... I mean PKP. This is gonna be so fun.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2015, 10:39:56 AM by Mideast Speaker New Canadaland »

ONPC results are coming in. Elliott's early lead has been lost. GTA seems to be putting Brown narrowly on top.

Edit: Brown is now winning a lot of seats outside the GTA. Seats in Ottawa, Northern Ontario, which I expected to go to Elliott. I think he's going to win.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »

Brown has won
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2015, 12:37:50 PM by King of Kensington »

Kathleen Wynne's preferred candidate.  

Where can I get the riding results?
DL
Canada

« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »

Sometimes you have to be careful about wishing for something - it might happen. People scoffed at Mike Harris as being unelectable...the jury is out on Brown, he could be a Stockwell Day style flop or he could catch fire. Christine Elliott would have been a female version of Jim Prentice or John Tory circa 2007 - inoffensive and dull and uninspiring...anyone who the Globe and Mail editors like you know will be a dud among real people!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

Can't find anything official, but most of the ridings are on Steve Paikin's twitter feed.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »

Although in Brown's case, head to head polling with the Liberals actually shows him performing as much as 6 points worse than Elliott. One even shows Brown doing worse than Hudak (30%) although the Liberals have likely become less popular since that poll. All while the average Ontarian knows next to nothing about Elliott or Brown.

The next question is: who will resign their seat? Barrie is still held by the Liberals. Hoping the by-election will be as exciting as the Sudbury one was.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »

Although in Brown's case, head to head polling with the Liberals actually shows him performing as much as 6 points worse than Elliott. One even shows Brown doing worse than Hudak (30%) although the Liberals have likely become less popular since that poll. All while the average Ontarian knows next to nothing about Elliott or Brown.

The next question is: who will resign their seat? Barrie is still held by the Liberals. Hoping the by-election will be as exciting as the Sudbury one was.

At one time, Tim Hudack said he would resign his seat once a new leader was chosen.
Krago
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »

Can't find anything official, but most of the ridings are on Steve Paikin's twitter feed.

Found them here: http://rabble.ca/comment/1502105#comment-1502105
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies