Canadian provincial leadership elections 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:07:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian provincial leadership elections 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Canadian provincial leadership elections 2015  (Read 24514 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »

At one time, Tim Hudack said he would resign his seat once a new leader was chosen.

He said what Bay Street wanted to hear and should do very well in the private sector.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »

Kathleen Wynne's preferred candidate.  

Where can I get the riding results?

Can't find anything official, but most of the ridings are on Steve Paikin's twitter feed.

Found them here: http://rabble.ca/comment/1502105#comment-1502105

Thanks, here is the map:

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

I'll have to say, it's an impressive come from behind win. Albeit one that will hurt more than help the PC's.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »

Some of the more "odd" Elliott wins are due to MPP endorsements (Prince Edward-Hastings, Parry Sound-Muskoka, Elgin-Middlesex-London, Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock, Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, Oxford, Nipissing & Leeds-Grenville). She did not win every riding where she got an endorsement from its MPP though.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »

I'll have to say, it's an impressive come from behind win. Albeit one that will hurt more than help the PC's.

I echo what DL said. Jeffery Simpson is not good at picking winners.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »

Interesting that PCs in more conservative seats voted for the less conservative Elliott. Must be the MPP endorsements since no PC MPPs were elected in places like Toronto, Ottawa  and the North.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »

So who will surrender their seat? Hudak? Someone a bit closer to Barrie?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2015, 09:04:36 PM »

Elliott herself would be a possibility. Not sure if her riding would like that idea though.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »

Elliott surrendering her seat would risk a repeat of John Tory's 2009 run. Her personal popularity was the only thing that stopped the riding from falling in 2014, and Brown is evidently not the most popular there. One of the Simcoe seats would be the safest option since Brown could claim to have some connection with the people there.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2015, 11:01:52 PM »

Brown was planning to run federally in Barrie-Innisfil, so York-Simcoe would make the most sense if he wants a local riding.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2015, 06:25:07 AM »

How many Tory MPP's have safe seats and have been around long enough to get a decent pension?There's your list. Hudak fits the bill. Ted Arnott is another.

Personally, I think he should just take Hudak's seat and run in Barrie in 2018.
adma
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »

How many Tory MPP's have safe seats and have been around long enough to get a decent pension?There's your list. Hudak fits the bill. Ted Arnott is another.

Closer to Barrie, York-Simcoe's Julia Munro also counts--as does, for that matter, York-Simcoe's Jim Wilson, if his acting leadership presages retirement...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2015, 04:52:36 PM »

Brown will resign his seat Wednesday.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2015, 07:21:59 AM »

Brown as PC leader has benefited... the NDP

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/05/13/patrick-browns-leadership-win-boosts-ndp-numbers-poll-shows.html

NDP - 36% (+12!)
PC - 33% (-3)
OLP - 24% (-5)
Greens - 5% (-4)

BUT ... "Bozinoff extrapolated this week’s results to project that the Tories would win 49 seats in the 107-seat legislature, the NDP 40, and the Liberals 18." even though the next provincial election I believe will be using the new Federal 121 (likely keeping the North as is)
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: May 13, 2015, 07:24:46 AM »

OLP at 24%... that's the lowest I've seen for Liberals in Ontario. Worse than Ignatieff even!
I see Brown is giving his party a negative leader bump. It's worse than I thought.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #190 on: May 13, 2015, 08:22:14 AM »

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/05/13/patrick-browns-leadership-win-boosts-ndp-numbers-poll-shows.html

NDP - 36% (+12!)
PC - 33% (-3)
OLP - 24% (-5)
Greens - 5% (-4)

BUT ... "Bozinoff extrapolated this week’s results to project that the Tories would win 49 seats in the 107-seat legislature, the NDP 40, and the Liberals 18." even though the next provincial election I believe will be using the new Federal 121 (likely keeping the North as is)

They're citing Brown being elected as helping the NDP, but it is most definitely the Alberta election influencing the polls. No one knows anything about Brown to have an opinion of him. He's not polarizing enough to boost the NDP 12 points.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2015, 08:27:36 AM »

NDP - 36% (+12!)
PC - 33% (-3)
OLP - 24% (-5)
Greens - 5% (-4)

They're citing Brown being elected as helping the NDP, but it is most definitely the Alberta election influencing the polls. No one knows anything about Brown to have an opinion of him. He's not polarizing enough to boost the NDP 12 points.

Also the budget I'd wager as well, the Privatization plan is not going over well, that has been the bulk of the media coverage and its been mostly all negative.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »

Also, the teacher's strike.

Look at the regional tabs. NDP leading in Eastern Ontario and the 905? But not Toronto or the Southwest?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »

More evidence that this isn't a Patrick Brown effect: PC vote is steady, while Liberal vote is bleeding into the NDP.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »

More evidence that this isn't a Patrick Brown effect: PC vote is steady, while Liberal vote is bleeding into the NDP.

Me thinks TheStar is pushing an Anti-Brown agenda over the fact that this is really looking more like the Liberals bleeding to the NDP
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2015, 11:46:56 AM by Mideast Speaker New Canadaland »

Yes, but Brown is part of the reason why Liberals are bleeding NDP rather than to the PC. I think if Elliott won, then the PC's would look more appealing/less scary than the NDP to moderate Liberals.

It also seems to confirm our notion that Horwath's base is less socially liberal than Wynne's.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are a lot of don't knows but that is a non-insignificant number of Dippers who are creationists and anti-sex ed (although it might be just reflexively opposing whatever Wynne does).
adma
« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2015, 10:22:15 PM »

It also seems to confirm our notion that Horwath's base is less socially liberal than Wynne's.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are a lot of don't knows but that is a non-insignificant number of Dippers who are creationists and anti-sex ed (although it might be just reflexively opposing whatever Wynne does).

It probably has a bit to do with the heavy poor/multiethnic contingent anong the anti-sex-ed set (y'know, 9/10 of Thorncliffe Park students staying home, etc)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »

That's crazy that an election result in another province across the country would cause such a swing in Ontario. Canadian politics are really bizarre sometimes.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2015, 11:25:15 PM »

That's crazy that an election result in another province across the country would cause such a swing in Ontario. Canadian politics are really bizarre sometimes.

It's all the more unusual given that by the time of the Federal Election, if you were to ask people outside of Alberta which party held the provincial government there, I'd bet that most people would either say "no idea", "Conservative" or at best "I forget, but I believe the party that had been in power there for a long time was finally defeated."
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »

It's the bandwagon effect. FPTP punishes vote-splitting, so when one progressive party appears to rise, strategic progressive voters rush to that party.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies