Opinion of Austria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:47:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Austria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
FCountry

HCountry

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Austria  (Read 4197 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
« edited: February 10, 2015, 05:21:25 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

formal annexation of Bosnia, already controlled by Vienna under the Treaty of Berlin, in 1909 8 were minor developments.

But otherwise you are right. The Hungarians played a bigger role in fighting the Turks than Austrians anyway.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 05:16:40 PM »

The idea that the Hapsburgs were somehow nicer rulers than the Turks is hilarious.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 05:22:17 PM »

The idea that the Hapsburgs were somehow nicer rulers than the Turks is hilarious.

"Nice" got nothing to do with it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »

"Nice" got nothing to do with it.

I was more responding to Thomas.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »

FC, and one person born there over 125 years ago doesn't change that.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »

Major FC and one of my favorite countries in Europe; especially for, among other things, the role it played in the destruction of the vile Ottoman Empire.

Lol.

The Austrians were unable to cope with the Ottoman thread and it took outside efforts, led by the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, to expell Turks from Austria and Hungary in result of the 1683 Battle of Vienna, which effectively ended the Ottoman Empire posing a real threat for Europe.

And if anyone had a major role in "destruction of the Ottoman Empire", it were Russians during the Russo-Turkish wars and then British during the World War I, when Austria-Hungary and Ottoman Empire were allies.

Compared to this, events such as inconclusive Austro-Turkish War (1787–91) or formal annexation of Bosnia, already controlled by Vienna under the Treaty of Berlin, in 1909 were minor developments.

To be fair by the time the Russians had advanced south enough to be a threat to the Turks, their empire had been in decline for quite some time and had been outpaced technologically by the west. I'm not sure any one nation brought down the Ottomans, although the Austrians did do their fair share.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »

The basement-thing isn't that big really.

One day you will have to take responsibility, my friend

SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:18 PM »

Major FC and one of my favorite countries in Europe; especially for, among other things, the role it played in the destruction of the vile Ottoman Empire.

Lol.

The Austrians were unable to cope with the Ottoman thread and it took outside efforts, led by the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, to expell Turks from Austria and Hungary in result of the 1683 Battle of Vienna, which effectively ended the Ottoman Empire posing a real threat for Europe.

And if anyone had a major role in "destruction of the Ottoman Empire", it were Russians during the Russo-Turkish wars and then British during the World War I, when Austria-Hungary and Ottoman Empire were allies.

Compared to this, events such as inconclusive Austro-Turkish War (1787–91) or formal annexation of Bosnia, already controlled by Vienna under the Treaty of Berlin, in 1909 were minor developments.

I didn't say Austria was solely responsible for the Ottoman Empire's downfall (which would obviously be quite an absurd and ahistorical statement; as you pointed out, it was a complex process and several countries contributed to it), just that it had a role to play in it with regards to the Battle of Vienna. I'm aware that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth led the charge in the battle; and I'm a big fan of Poland as well, for the record. For example, I said it was my favorite Slavic country in
this thread.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »

Lol.

I didn't say Austria was solely responsible for the Ottoman Empire's downfall (which would obviously be quite an absurd and ahistorical statement; as you pointed out, it was a complex process and several countries contributed to it), just that it had a role to play in it with regards to the Battle of Vienna. I'm aware that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth led the charge in the battle; and I'm a big fan of Poland as well, for the record. For example, I said it was my favorite Slavic country in
this thread.

I misread you then. Apologies.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »

Anyway, I still vote FC for two reasons:

- Austria is a country with incredibly rich history and cultural heritage
- Social Democrats are in the helm of the government almost continiously since 1970, which is a rarity in Europe, where Social Democratic Parties are becoming increasingly impotent 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies