Kurdish Solidarity Act of 2014 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:16:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Kurdish Solidarity Act of 2014 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Kurdish Solidarity Act of 2014 (Passed)  (Read 6365 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
« edited: March 18, 2015, 12:29:22 PM by President bore »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsored by: TNF
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:45:34 AM »

There are certainly parts in this act that are very sensible and I support, but I believe that especially clauses 2 and 4 go too far. Maybe it would be better to change the provisions in clause 2 to that Atlasia is committting itsself to see self-determination by the Kurdish people in areas with a Kurdish majority population within Syria and Iraq, maybe even Turkey (and Iran).
Clause 4 is not sensible as it stands, the Kurdish forces could for example stay in Damaskus one day, which by no objective parameter is an integral part of Kurdistan.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »

I don't know the current situation in Kurdistan, can someone explain me?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »

I can assure that if confirmed as GM, I will not forget to adress the Kurdish issue in developments from the region.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »

The idea I can understand and I support the Kurds on their struggle against ISIS, although like Cranberry I have my concerns. First because, like it or not, the Kurdish Workers Party has been consistently engaged in acts of terrorism against civilians in Turkey and their current fights across Syria don't precisely erase that situation.

Second, we're completely ignoring Iraq here and I think that's were the real potential for the Kurds lies. Let's not forget that Iraq is now currently ruled by a Kurdish General (check Simfan's GM thread for that information) and the Kurdish forces there. If anything, I believe the Senate should consider giving its support to the peshmerga instead of pushing for the creation a Kurdish state ruled by the PPK without even consulting other nations. In that sense, Cranberry is right that it would be better to push for negotiations between Turkey, Iraq and other nations in the region, something that could be accomplished according to the plans of the Secretary of State.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »

The purpose of this Act is to strengthen the sole revolutionary force left in the Middle East that is committed to participatory democracy and workers' self-management, which is at this juncture, the Kurds.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »

The idea I can understand and I support the Kurds on their struggle against ISIS, although like Cranberry I have my concerns. First because, like it or not, the Kurdish Workers Party has been consistently engaged in acts of terrorism against civilians in Turkey and their current fights across Syria don't precisely erase that situation.

Second, we're completely ignoring Iraq here and I think that's were the real potential for the Kurds lies. Let's not forget that Iraq is now currently ruled by a Kurdish General (check Simfan's GM thread for that information) and the Kurdish forces there. If anything, I believe the Senate should consider giving its support to the peshmerga instead of pushing for the creation a Kurdish state ruled by the PPK without even consulting other nations. In that sense, Cranberry is right that it would be better to push for negotiations between Turkey, Iraq and other nations in the region, something that could be accomplished according to the plans of the Secretary of State.

An annoying thing is, of course, that old GM threads are being spreaded all across the board. Of course we couldn't keep them sticked, but some index of links would be extremely helpful.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 12:51:22 PM »

The purpose of this Act is to strengthen the sole revolutionary force left in the Middle East that is committed to participatory democracy and workers' self-management, which is at this juncture, the Kurds.

Trying to ignore the huge implications of that statement, that sounds more like trying to excuse and heavily empower the actions of the Kurdish Workers Party alone (which, mind you, has taken part in quite a good amount of terrorist actions) than the Kurds in the general sense.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »

I agree with the President and Cranberry.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »

This measure would severely anger and isolate Turkey, a NATO member and one of the few states in the region to be both reasonably democratic and friendly to Atlasia. I'd urge the Senate to keep that in mind when considering this legislation.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »

This is a risky geo-political move. Normally, the Senator normally doesn't advocate that we take sides in the Middle East.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »

A Kurdish general is in charge of Iraq? What?!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »

While I'm not currently part of this honorable body I must urge the senate fail this act. The PKK has actively aided the Islamic State In the senseless killing of Christians and other religious and ethnic minorities without reason or cause. Members of the PKK were amongst those involved in the senseless burning of the Jordanian pilot.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »

A Kurdish general is in charge of Iraq? What?!

I think these posts should be helpful in informing the Senate of the context:

And, what do you know, we have some news.

BREAKING NEWS

It is reported that President Jalal Talalbani has dismissed Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. This comes at a time of heightened crisis as the forces of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) are threatening to march on Baghdad, having captured several major cities in the country in recent days. His replacement at this time is unknown.

BBC News- Iraq military head appointed PM

The head of Iraq's military, General Babakir Zebari, has been appointed Acting Prime Minister following the sudden dismissal of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki earlier today.

The announcement came from the office of President Jalal Talabani, in the form of a brief missive declaring that Zebari had been appointed to form a "government of national unity" in "consideration of the present situation".

Several units of troops were seen moving around central Baghdad Friday evening before the announcement was made.

In a televised address, broadcast around midnight Baghdad time, General Zebari vowed to restore order to the country and to "beat back the terrorist elements that threaten our unity", a clear reference to the Islamist insurgents of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS).

However, General Zebari denied his appointment was the result of a military coup. It is not clear whether or not Iraq's constitution allows for the President to unilaterally dismiss the Prime Minister.

The announcement came as the militants widened their grip in the north and east, and threatened to march south, towards Baghdad.

The UN says hundreds have been killed - with militants carrying out summary executions of civilians in Mosul.

President Duke has said Atlasia is reviewing its options over Iraq.

Iran has also promised to help the fight against the insurgency.

The insurgents have threatened to push towards the capital and other regions dominated by Iraq's Shia Muslim majority, whom they regard as "infidels".

General Zebari, a Kurdish Sunni, has served as the commanding general and Chief of Staff of Iraq's Joint Forces since 2003. Prior to that, he fought with the Kurdish Peshmerga rebels in opposition to Saddam Hussein's regime.

Zebari served briefly in the armed forces of the Baathist regime, but deserted in 1973 after atrocities were committed against Kurds.

General Zebari will have to restore confidence in the country's armed forces and attempt to organise the various sectarian militias opposing the insurgents- Shia, Sunni, and Kurd- into a coherent fighting force.

So yes, General Zebari appears to be the current Iraqi Prime Minister, and I have assumed that's the case when it has come to my approach towards Iraq and ISIS.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 03:03:15 AM »

While I'm not currently part of this honorable body I must urge the senate fail this act. The PKK has actively aided the Islamic State In the senseless killing of Christians and other religious and ethnic minorities without reason or cause. Members of the PKK were amongst those involved in the senseless burning of the Jordanian pilot.

And you sure got sources to prove that Roll Eyes
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »

And you sure got sources to prove that Roll Eyes

Has the Former Senator got some proof of his claims?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »

The PKK is not a "terrorist" organization anymore than the Sons of Liberty were.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »

The PKK is not a "terrorist" organization anymore than the Sons of Liberty were.

All the same, the PKK has engaged (between other things) in drug trafficking, suicide bombing, calculated attacks on resort and turist areas, and so on. What you're asking for is for us to create a nation out of nowhere based on a party that a few years ago was a marxist-leninist organization with widespread use of terrorism, and all of that while causing major problems with Turkey and Iraq, allies that have been crucial to fight ISIS, no to mention that the Kurds in Iraq (better organized and a much better force to negotiate with) get very little in comparison.

Look, I'm not opposed to see the PKK take a role in extended negotiations and a peace process (as one of many forces, and not the basis of a potential Kurdistan or, most likely, a process of increased Kurdish autonomy) because there seems to be interest in a democratic government and the PKK does seem to support gender equality, but certainly not until they refuse to continue terrorist activities.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 08:28:27 AM »

So what would you have the PKK do? Just sit on their arms while ISIS rolls into town and beheads them?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

So what would you have the PKK do? Just sit on their arms while ISIS rolls into town and beheads them?

I'm not talking about their fight against ISIS, Senator, you know very well that is only a small part of the history of the PKK. I'm talking, for example, about all the terrorist acts against Turkey. I find it ironic that many in Atlasia speak against the mentality of arming groups that they think will turn hostile (idea that they seem to think only comes from the right) and then find that there's actual advocacy for us to just ignore what the PKK has done in the past.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »

Right, I wish to propose an idea (not an amendment yet). I'm really not a fan of amending an entire bill to make it completely different (because objetively speaking it is in poor taste), but there is some potential for significant achievements in this issue. A good part of the language here is just tentative (Section 4 dealing with PKK is very poorly written, for example), but does the Senate think something along these lines could work?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »

Sponsored for you.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »

Thank you, Windjammer, but it's not an amendment, xD, I just want to see what the Senate thinks before actually offering it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »

Thank you, Windjammer, but it's not an amendment, xD, I just want to see what the Senate thinks before actually offering it.

Oh I'm sorry Tongue.

Well, it looks good to be honest. I prefer that than the current version.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »

Amendment is hostile, given that it completely changes the intent of the bill. I won't support this bill if that amendment gets through.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies