AL Supreme Court orders probate judges not to license same sex marriages
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:12:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AL Supreme Court orders probate judges not to license same sex marriages
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: AL Supreme Court orders probate judges not to license same sex marriages  (Read 13405 times)
CJK
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2015, 02:41:29 PM »

All racial segregation, both State mandated or not, was outlawed so I don't see what difference it makes. Nobody cares if mandatory desegregation increased black on white crime or made whites and blacks feel bad.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2015, 02:54:17 PM »

All racial segregation, both State mandated or not, was outlawed so I don't see what difference it makes. Nobody cares if mandatory desegregation increased black on white crime or made whites and blacks feel bad.

Is exile getting boring, JSojourner?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »

The introduction of no-fault divorce was a much more serious blow to 'what marriage has been' than simply removing the increasingly meaningless variable of gender. I think CJK is at best falling prey to the 'anything that existed in society when I was born is normal and natural; anything introduced into society after my adolescence is an abomination' fallacy. At worst, and most likely, he is just a loathsome bigot.

And once again, if you honestly believed gender is a "meaningless variable" you should have no problem with immediate bathroom desegregation.

But I do support availability of gender-neutral bathrooms. I don't know why you're assuming I don't.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's ridiculous and a complete non sequitur.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »

hey man, she was wearing a short skirt, she was asking for harassment!!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »

modern fashion trends have destroyed the traditional concept of preventing men from harassing women.

Parrot it all you want, that line won't work on the jury in your inevitable lawsuit.
CJK
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »

modern fashion trends have destroyed the traditional concept of preventing men from harassing women.

Parrot it all you want, that line won't work on the jury in your inevitable lawsuit.

I think you know what I meant. The traditional concept of male-female interaction was that women had to not "provoke" men into harassment by wearing "provocative" outfits. That concept is no longer in effective operation. So the idea that we have to segregate bathrooms to prevent men from losing control is logically also outdated.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »

I think you know what I meant. The traditional concept of male-female interaction was that women had to not "provoke" men into harassment by wearing "provocative" outfits. That concept is no longer in effective operation. So the idea that we have to segregate bathrooms to prevent men from losing control is logically also outdated.

There are far more low key and practical reasons for separate bathrooms.

Fx different hygiene standards.

Bathrooms used by men stink and become messy. So it is considerate towards women to have separate facilities.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »

This is insane. Like literally I have no rebuttal, because I feel I am staring into the abyss of a completely deranged mind. Also I'm pretty sure you are some horrific misadventure in AI software gone wrong. I suppose that comforts me in a way.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »

Ok, so you are literally just a racist. Got it.
CJK
United States

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »

Bathrooms used by men stink and become messy. So it is considerate towards women to have separate facilities.

Again, my point is that even if there are good reasons, those reasons are no better or worse than the reasons given for past discrimination that are now completely ignored in mainstream discourse.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »

Again, my point is that even if there are good reasons, those reasons are no better or worse than the reasons given for past discrimination that are now completely ignored in mainstream discourse.

You understand that this argument only works in your favor if one starts from the premise that racial segregation was good and reasonable, right?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »

Years ago, I worked at a small restaurant and my experiences cleaning both facilities were very much the opposite.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »

Yes all my flatmates at present are girls, and annoyingly the bathroom is much the same as when I lived with guys ugh.
CJK
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2015, 05:31:25 PM by CJK »

You understand that this argument only works in your favor if one starts from the premise that racial segregation was good and reasonable, right?

I never said that. It is perfectly reasonable to claim that integration was a moral necessity no matter what the cost. To imply that there was zero costs, however, is to impose a simple victor's history.  History gets written by the victors. The people who pushed to end segregation had a vested interest to later write history in a way that claimed they always had 100% of the facts and their opponents 0%, just like the segregationists previously wrote history to have the facts as 100% on their side as well. Saying that x group vilified today had 0% of the facts on their side is just being childish.

The universal consensus today that men would lose their minds and rape women at the drop of a hat if we desegregated bathrooms is just as ridiculous as the previous universal consensus that blacks were basically wild beasts around whites. Both of them have at least a little bit of truth, though, and figuring out what to do with that truth is the controversial part. Vilifying viewpoints one way or another is not helpful.

Are gays just as morally "worthy" as blacks were? I would say no, and to imply so would be deeply insulting blacks.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »

Given the topic of bathroom segregation, how would you know this?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

Yeah, as someone who cleans bathrooms for a living, I don't think there's much hygiene difference between men and women.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »

Yeah, as someone who cleans bathrooms for a living, I don't think there's much hygiene difference between men and women.

The default for a bathroom should be "clean," no matter who uses it. Peeing on the floor and on toilet seats is not an important male right necessary of being preserved, nor do I accept it as a standard.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2015, 07:08:57 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2015, 07:10:34 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Given the topic of bathroom segregation, how would you know this?

Plenty of unisex facilities here - definitely lower standard than female only.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »

Are gays just as morally "worthy" as blacks were? I would say no, and to imply so would be deeply insulting blacks.

To not imply so is deeply insulting gays. Note also that there are gay blacks out there, quite a few of them actually!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »

I think some issues are being mixed up.

The people pushing gay marriage have made perfectly clear they do not consider a civil union good enough. So whether or not they function well is actually a red herring. They want a full blown removal of the gender restrictions on marriage. They are claiming that ability to reproduce is suddenly irrelevant to marriage.

That leads me to wonder if this opens the door to abolishing other gender restrictions. Let's say you find someone who claims, like gay marriage supporters, that separate but equal restrooms are inherently discriminatory because they stigmatize all men as pervs or women as weaklings. It could be argued that segregation, regardless of the justifications offered, is irrelevant to going to the bathroom.

You just dismiss this all as absurd, but how do you really know? In the 1980s gay marriage was universally seen as an absurdity as well.

Old people get married, so yes, the ability to reproduce is completely irrelevant.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies