Beck vs. Beyonce vs. Kanye
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:12:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Beck vs. Beyonce vs. Kanye
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Beck vs. Beyonce vs. Kanye
Beck

Beyonce

Kanye

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Beck vs. Beyonce vs. Kanye  (Read 5486 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »

Beck (normal)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »

Kanye (normal)
Panda Express

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »

Obviously Kanye
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:18:46 PM »

Kanye is the greatest artist of our generation.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »

This is very true, but Beck.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2015, 06:38:36 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Beck (not abnormal).

If Kanye had respect for artistry, he'd taken the award and given it to Bob Dylan for Shadows In The Night.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »

Beck literally has more talent in his index finger than the other two combined. Let's get serious here. Beck doesn't need twenty different people to write his songs for him like those two do. That does matter (at least to me).
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »

Musically:

Beck > Beyonce > Kanye

Personally:

Beyonce > Beck > Kanye

Image-wise:

Beyonce > Kanye > Beck

went with Beyonce because she is far more important in 2015 than Beck is.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:04:48 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2015, 07:07:38 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Beck literally has more talent in his index finger than the other two combined. Let's get serious here. Beck doesn't need twenty different people to write his songs for him like those two do. That does matter (at least to me).

Kanye West is a brilliant producer. Kanye West is noteworthy because he's a brilliant producer: every album he's released has transformed the aesthetic of hip-hop, expanding it to incorporate new forms of music. It's 2015, musical talent is no longer defined by an ability to play instruments. The most important innovations in music over the past few decades have been advanced by DJs and producers.

I say this as a Beck fan.  
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 07:11:11 PM »

By losing a Grammy to Beck, this clearly means that Beyonce is a terrible artist.  Such a shame, too.  I always thought she was pretty good.  I guess I was wrong this whole time.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »

Kanye West is a brilliant producer. Kanye West is noteworthy because he's a brilliant producer: every album he's released has transformed the aesthetic of hip-hop, expanding it to incorporate new forms of music. It's 2015, musical talent is no longer defined by an ability to play instruments. The most important innovations in music over the past few decades have been advanced by DJs and producers.

Well, I say what I said as someone who enjoys a lot of rap music and some of what Kanye has done in the past.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one though. There just will never be an equivalency to me between someone who has the ability to craft their own music from scratch: that is write a melody, write the chords, write the lyrics, etc. and someone who has largely made a career out of rapping/talking over other people's music and modifying it in some way.

That doesn't mean there isn't any room for sampling in music. Beck has used samples himself in the past of course. But really what else is there to Kanye? He's a one-trick pony.

And do we really know how involved Kanye is in the production of his records anyway? Seriously, is he ever truly involved in the real nuts and bolts production of a record or is he at best an idea man? My guess is he has real producers to do the heavy lifting.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »

Yeezy
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 07:41:31 PM »

Queen Bey
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »

Kanye agrees.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »

Conyay
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:03:10 PM »

It's a shame I like some of his music because Kanye is such an unbelievable piece of garbage. Has anyone ever asked this disrespectful child who made him the great arbitrator?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

And far superior to boring white person (TM) Beck.

Only a little superior to Beyonce.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »

Beyonce.

But voted Beck out of protest for Kanye's obnoxiousness at the Grammy's.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »

No. Kanye is a gay fish.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »

Well, I say what I said as someone who enjoys a lot of rap music and some of what Kanye has done in the past.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one though. There just will never be an equivalency to me between someone who has the ability to craft their own music from scratch: that is write a melody, write the chords, write the lyrics, etc. and someone who has largely made a career out of rapping/talking over other people's music and modifying it in some way.

That doesn't mean there isn't any room for sampling in music. Beck has used samples himself in the past of course. But really what else is there to Kanye? He's a one-trick pony.

And do we really know how involved Kanye is in the production of his records anyway? Seriously, is he ever truly involved in the real nuts and bolts production of a record or is he at best an idea man? My guess is he has real producers to do the heavy lifting.

Have you heard one Kanye West record from the other? He's anything but a one trick pony man. He's practically the opposite. He's one of the least "one trick pony" rappers ever. I mean, I can accept not liking Kanye West, both for his personality or even his music, but that is a ridiculous assertion.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:59 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2015, 08:27:34 PM by Eraserhead »

Have you heard one Kanye West record from the other? He's anything but a one trick pony man. He's practically the opposite. He's one of the least "one trick pony" rappers ever. I mean, I can accept not liking Kanye West, both for his personality or even his music, but that is a ridiculous assertion.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z

So what musical talents does he possess outside of picking out some decent samples, mixing them together (or most likely having other people with some kind of real musical aptitude do it for him) and rapping over them (and let's face it, he's not even remotely close to being among the best pure "rappers" ever)?

Just because his records carry a different tonal "vibe" from one to the other doesn't mean he's not a one-trick pony musically.

This is why comparing Kanye to someone like Beck is silly IMO. That's truly someone who can wear many different musical hats and has.

To each their own though. Whatever!
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »

If we're talking about music, definitely Kanye.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »

Beck is the only choice
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »

And where's Kanye's record with Tobacco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDz4ycVgXS8
Reginald
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »

Isn't the reason Kanye is where he is now that he impressed Jay Z et al with his production? Regardless of what one thinks about all of his assorted baggage, I think it's pretty undeniable he's got unique talent in that area.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies