Illinois 2014 Initiatives by County
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:22:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois 2014 Initiatives by County
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois 2014 Initiatives by County  (Read 1889 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »

So I tried to enter this data as a submission to the site's database, but the excel formatting was giving me problems. Figured you all would still be interested in the results, so I made some maps of my own. DM me if you're interested in helping me submit these properly as entries into the database.

Starting with the birth control question.

“Shall any health insurance plan in Illinois that provides prescription drug coverage be required to include prescription birth control as part of that coverage?”

Most supportive county was Cook at 78% YES. Most opposed was Effingham County at 59% NO.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:08 PM »

Next is the minimum wage question.

“Shall the minimum wage in Illinois for adults over the age of 18 be raised to $10 per hour by January 1, 2015?”

It is interesting that while we generally think of the Chicago suburbs as more fiscally conservative and socially liberal an downstate as more fiscally liberal and socially conservative, these maps show a different picture. The suburbs remained more liberal on the minimum wage question relative to the birth control question while downstate was more opposed to an increase in the minimum wage than a birth control mandate.

Most supportive county was Cook at 81%. Most opposed county was Adams County at 38%.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:52:46 PM »

“Shall the minimum wage in Illinois for adults over the age of 18 be raised to $10 per hour by January 1, 2015?”

It is interesting that while we generally think of the Chicago suburbs as more fiscally conservative and socially liberal an downstate as more fiscally liberal and socially conservative, these maps show a different picture. The suburbs remained more liberal on the minimum wage question relative to the birth control question while downstate was more opposed to an increase in the minimum wage than a birth control mandate.

Most supportive county was Cook at 81%. Most opposed county was Adams County at 38%.

Rich people in cities and poor people in the countryside being partisan for the sake of being partisan?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »

Rich people in cities and poor people in the countryside being partisan for the sake of being partisan?

No, because both questions were partisan-charged. It would seem that the suburbs are considerably more fiscally liberal than formerly hardcore-Democrat southern Illinois.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »

Why is the county with Quincy still so conservative? Quincy is a decent-sized city.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »

Why is the county with Quincy still so conservative? Quincy is a decent-sized city.

Because Quinn took money away from downstate prisons that a fairly moderate Blagojevich had a easier time carrying, downstate, ILL.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »

'Almost done with IL statewide races by CD; it just occurred to me that I should have done these referendums as well. I'll do them at some point soon.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »

If you picked Quincy up and put it in Mississippi, no one would notice. It is a very conservative community relative to what you would expect in contrast with some NW Illinois cities which are even more liberal than you might expect. Quincy has a higher religious attendance rate than nearly all other Illinois counties (exceptions include, predictably, the Effingham area and, surprisingly and ironically, DuPage County). It also doesn't share the union and manufacturing culture that NW Illinois does, partially explaining its staunch fiscal conservatism.

I don't buy that it had anything to do with downstate prisons, as many other counties down there have prisons and did not see similar voting patterns on these referendums. Remember these are maps from the referendums, not from the Governor's race.

And from my anecdotal experience, I actually know a few prison employees from downstate and they despise Rauner considerably more than Quinn even if they don't like either.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:04 PM »

Woah! A bigger city can be conservative? I never knew
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »

Woah! A bigger city can be conservative? I never knew

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama won the city but lost the rural part of the county in a landslide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies