The Set It and Leave it Alone Minimum Wage Act of 2015 (Signed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:12:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Set It and Leave it Alone Minimum Wage Act of 2015 (Signed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: The Set It and Leave it Alone Minimum Wage Act of 2015 (Signed)  (Read 8171 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »

As has been repeatedly emphasised here, no one is saying that internships are in all or even most cases are bad for the individual doing the internship.

The point which has been made again and again is that many poor people simply aren't able to work for free, thus unfairly denying them entry to a field. Frankly the idea this would be bad for social mobility is rather silly. Not only are many internships the result of family connections, internships will be concentrated in expensive urban areas, disadvantaging the rural poor above all.

That said, we can compromise here. Perhaps by allowing unpaid or less than the minimum wage internships of a week or something in certain fields?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »

Your main argument, Mr. shua, resides on the thought that the whole labor system would collapse in itself when this novella of the law is being passed. This is most untrue. We are not, if I may, I quote, "closing off avenues for people to get (...) experience" - simply because the option of unpaid internships expires for companies, said will still be in need of younger, "fresh" manpower. They will not suddenly stop to hire people, simply because they cannot do so - companies will continue to need the same workforce they do today, they will need the same works currently done by unpaid interns to be done by some employees.  There will however be a difference in that they will then have to pay those people they would have kept on timely confined and unpaid internships at least the minimum wage.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »

This might be too bureaucratic, but why not have some government agency give out certificates allowing some nonprofits or companies to allow volunteering or unpaid internship for certain kinds of work? The language for this might be vague, but its implementation would then mostly be down to civil servants.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »

This might be too bureaucratic, but why not have some government agency give out certificates allowing some nonprofits or companies to allow volunteering or unpaid internship for certain kinds of work? The language for this might be vague, but its implementation would then mostly be down to civil servants.

Well, down to me, more specifically. Tongue Wink
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »

Your main argument, Mr. shua, resides on the thought that the whole labor system would collapse in itself when this novella of the law is being passed. This is most untrue. We are not, if I may, I quote, "closing off avenues for people to get (...) experience" - simply because the option of unpaid internships expires for companies, said will still be in need of younger, "fresh" manpower. They will not suddenly stop to hire people, simply because they cannot do so - companies will continue to need the same workforce they do today, they will need the same works currently done by unpaid interns to be done by some employees.  There will however be a difference in that they will then have to pay those people they would have kept on timely confined and unpaid internships at least the minimum wage.

Yes and subjected to the same rigorous demands on experience and education as other employees thus closing off the avenues as shua said. The companies don't take risks in this day in age, that is why I used to the "pre-packed, foiled sealed ready to go employee with 10 years experience and a superb degree" line in the now tabled interns bill. He is not saying the whole labor market will collapse, he is saying it will become more restricted and exclusive, the exact opposite goal of what you want to achieve here.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »

Yes and subjected to the same rigorous demands on experience and education as other employees thus closing off the avenues as shua said. The companies don't take risks in this day in age, that is why I used to the "pre-packed, foiled sealed ready to go employee with 10 years experience and a superb degree" line in the now tabled interns bill. He is not saying the whole labor market will collapse, he is saying it will become more restricted and exclusive, the exact opposite goal of what you want to achieve here.

If companies continue with these policies, they will simply not be able to find enough workforce for their company, that's at least what I think. IWe take the situation exactly like it is now for granted also if these changes are implemented, which I simply don't think is the truth. Companies will have to adapt to the new realities, and the objective of this bill is to make these adaptions as profitable and fair to everyone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »

So where are we on this? Was Polnut's amendment (https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=207236.msg4510373#msg4510373) adopted?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:27 PM »

Dear god, that was Bore who was administering that and with all the messages and the suspension of the rules for the sponsorship, I totally forgot. My apology.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Polnut's amendment has been adopted.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

I assume this non-monetary compensation would be something like room and board?
Could you please elaborate why you believe at minimum 75% in monetary form is preferable to 50%, Senator TNF?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:51 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object to TNF's amendment.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »

I second Senator Cranberry's question.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »

Internships are jobs, so I feel that more money should naturally be dispensed to the employee in this case.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »

I see.
I am not really bound to any number here, so if other Senators don't have a problem with it, shall such be the law. I won't object to the amendment.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2015, 11:37:53 AM »

I motion for a final vote.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »

I offer this amendment. Any additions or clarifications other senators think are necessary would be welcome.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »

I object.

This is carving out a gigantic hole when this bill should fundamentally be about closing those holes and guaranteeing that everyone who works is paid for it.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »

On the other hand though, this is giving more people a chance for an internship in the non-profit, non-governmental organizations sector (as they obviously don't have the money for-profit companies do), which is often quite sought for... I guess I will support this
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2015, 12:59:44 PM »

I'll support the common-sense amendment presented by Senator Talleyrand.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »

I offer this amendment. Any additions or clarifications other senators think are necessary would be welcome.
Senators, a vote is now open on talleyrand's amendment.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »

Aye
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France