Liberal man/conservative woman.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:16:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Liberal man/conservative woman.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you guys know of any couples (preferably married) that fit the description of "politically liberal man/politically conservative women"?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Liberal man/conservative woman.  (Read 6309 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »

Depends how you define conservative and liberal. Women are much more likely to fall more the religious schtick.

This is very true. You rarely see single or divorced men attending church on a regular basis.

I thought this my whole life. Then my summer job had me going to Church two towns south of me on Sundays, and it was bizarro world. It was more than half middle-aged men there by themselves. I brought my mom along once without telling her, and she made the same comment when we walked out. I don't know what to make of it.

But in reality, this is accurate. Huck and Santorum are the Republicans who do best with women (in the primary).
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:15 PM »

Yes. My parents.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 11:52:29 PM »

None personally.  Thinking about it I think I've only ever dated conservative women, however.  Mind you I've never dated anyone that was particularly politically interested or involved, but they have all been in what I'd call the conservative column.  It hasn't ever given me much trouble, though.  Politics and religion are the two things I generally try to discuss only with certain company.  Easier that way.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 01:02:33 AM »

I don't think I know any conservatives outside of this forum, my extended family, and probably my boss.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »

I guess my parents would count... if you could call what my mom has a coherent set of political beliefs.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 01:12:28 AM »

I think both sides of my grandparents.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »

In my experience liberalism in a significant other is a major hangup for conservative women in a way it isn't for conservative men.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 06:10:36 PM »

In my experience liberalism in a significant other is a major hangup for conservative women in a way it isn't for conservative men.

This is very true. 

As Jesse Watters put it, "It doesn't matter if she's a Communist if she's hot." 

I agree. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »

Do you guys know of any couples (preferably married) that fit the description of "politically liberal man/politically conservative women"?

I think it might be more common than you think.  The most famous example is probably Clinton's 1992 campaign manager who is married to Bush's 1992 campaign manager.

Personally, I find that I was almost always more liberal with regard to cultural issues than most of women in my life.  In fact, it seems perfectly understandable that most men, since they do not have the maternal instinct, would be more open to legalization of drugs and prostitution, than women.  Women, on the other hand, generally seem more worried about security and health and family values.  Just ask you parents if you can try out for the hockey team.  My guess is that it's Mom who will veto the idea, or at least try to talk you out of it, not Dad. 

As for economic issues, it of course depends upon how you define "liberal."  If you define the way Americans do, then you get one answer, but if you define it the way Germans do, then you get another answer.  My guess is that the PDF, for example, attracts more men than women, and they are what the Germans call liberal.  (i.e., less government safety net, not more.)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:09 AM »

Personally, I find that I was almost always more liberal with regard to cultural issues than most of women in my life.  In fact, it seems perfectly understandable that most men, since they do not have the maternal instinct, would be more open to legalization of drugs and prostitution, than women.  Women, on the other hand, generally seem more worried about security and health and family values.  Just ask you parents if you can try out for the hockey team.  My guess is that it's Mom who will veto the idea, or at least try to talk you out of it, not Dad.  

Yes, as far as drugs/prostitution are concerned, but the gender gap goes the other way for abortion (for self-explanatory reasons) and homosexuality.  Homophobia and sexism are fairly interwoven, the former being a natural byproduct of the latter, so it makes sense that the group who stands to benefit "less" from feminism, at least through their own interpretation, would be less open to marriage equality.  Though to be honest I think all of these issues are more generational than anything else.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »

There's probably lots of couples where the woman is MORE conservative than the man, but that's not the same thing as a liberal man/conservative woman couple. If they're both liberal or both conservative, it's really not of much interest for the woman to be more conservative.

As for examples of what the OP asked, I don't know..maybe some rich girl/poor boy couples? Yeah, it does happen outside of the movies. Maybe an overachieving girl from a small town or rural area who goes to college in a major city and meets a liberal guy there, but doesn't change her politics? If you can think of any GOP female entertainers (actresses or musicians), it's likely they've dated a Democratic man at some point.

But no, I don't personally know or know of any couples like this.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:16 AM »

As for examples of what the OP asked, I don't know..maybe some rich girl/poor boy couples?

It's "conventional wisdom" that married women still vote Republican because of their relative financial security to single women - wouldn't the same be true of married men?
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 01:05:29 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2015, 01:07:46 AM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

As for examples of what the OP asked, I don't know..maybe some rich girl/poor boy couples?

It's "conventional wisdom" that married women still vote Republican because of their relative financial security to single women - wouldn't the same be true of married men?

I suppose once the man was married, yes. I was thinking of the initial courtship. The OP did say "preferably" married couples. I don't know though...do you think a man would change his politics just because he lucked out and married a rich woman?

A liberal man/conservative woman couple may actually be a clever idea for a sitcom.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »

I don't know though...do you think a man would change his politics just because he lucked out and married a rich woman?

My deadbeat dad certainly didn't change his politics when he married my more conservative, routinely employed mother.  Mostly independently of that, she is not so conservative anymore.  Of course, they weren't "rich."  But, the 'poor guy/ more well off woman' story arc is certainly not an original concept.  My impression is that people don't change their politics without having good reasons.  Then again, I tend to only know and associate with politically conscious people.  If one were apathetic, I could see how it might be like picking a sports team.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2015, 07:47:36 PM by angus »

Yes, as far as drugs/prostitution are concerned, but the gender gap goes the other way for abortion (for self-explanatory reasons) and homosexuality.  

Though to be honest I think all of these issues are more generational than anything else.

Does it?  Gallup found that from 2001-2008, 48% of men and 49% of women self-identified as "pro-choice."  Between 2009 and 2012, 43% of men and 45% of women identified as "pro-choice."  New York Times in 2010 found that 40% of men and 37% of women felt "abortion should be generally available."  Similar studies from ABC, CBS, etc., have consistently show very little gap between women and men on this issue.  Where do you get the idea that there's a gender gap on that particular issue?  Also, how would it be self-explanatory if the gap really were as you describe?  After all, female mammals usually take the domestic role whereas male mammals copulate promiscuously and instinctively, attempting to spread the seed far and wide.  Many have been known to kill the offspring of other males in an attempt to bring on estrus in the female, all of which would suggest that if there is a gender gap, it would favor males wanting the termination option more freely available.  That said, I do not see any evidence of a gender gap on this issue.

Also, I'm not sure that I buy into your arguments relating sexism to homophobia.  Homophobia stems from a fear among heterosexual men of being perceived as gay, and in some cases a fear of contagion, whereas sexism stems from the misplaced belief that subjugation guarantees institutional control.  I am aware that there is a significant but shrinking gender gap (over ten percentage points in some polls) with regards to the legitimacy of same-sex marriage, although I suspect that your last sentence is spot on:  It's more of a generational issue than a gender gap.

I do know that it is quite understandable that women, who nurture and who are maternal, prioritize things like welfare and health and security, while men, who are hunters and adventurers, prioritize individualism.  Of course I'm not trying to be sexist, but given that the OP is sexist in nature and invites sexist commentary, it seems merited here.  It is only when you conflate the terms "liberal" and "leftism" that you might end up with women being more "liberal" than men, and maybe not even then, depending upon how leftism plays out in terms of being a guarantor of health, welfare, and domestic security.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »

Yeah there isn't really a gender gap on abortion. It's more guns and lots of economic issues.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies