Axelrod: Obama lied about opposing gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Axelrod: Obama lied about opposing gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Axelrod: Obama lied about opposing gay marriage  (Read 7824 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »

http://time.com/3702584/gay-marriage-axelrod-obama/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nothing most of us didn't already know, but still pretty interesting.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:36:55 PM »

But Hillary must be burnt at the stake for it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:50:11 PM »

Hillary Clinton is the only politician who makes political calculations, you see.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:17:45 AM »

We know full well, this movie was already played with John Kerry opposing gay marriage and selecting a Christian guy like Edwards to conceal it. Axelrod was Edwards campaign manager in 2004, as well. The difference was that John Kerry, like Warren, like Pelosi is from Massachussetts and the Bay area which can't conceal it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:19 AM »

Well, he did oppose Prop. 8, which was a little weird for a gay marriage opponent.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:03:18 AM »

We know full well, this movie was already played with John Kerry opposing gay marriage and selecting a Christian guy like Edwards to conceal it. Axelrod was Edwards campaign manager in 2004, as well. The difference was that John Kerry, like Warren, like Pelosi is from Massachussetts and the Bay area which can't conceal it.

Bill Clinton suggested to John Kerry during the 2004 campaign that he endorse the SSM ban in Ohio, which Kerry then ruled out without hesitation.  So I don't think Kerry wanted to take a particularly active role in looking "opposed" to it.  Don't forget, the highlight of the Vice Presidential debate that year was when Edwards brought up Cheney's daughter.  A rather uncomfortable moment, but memorable nonetheless.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 03:18:12 AM »

Don't forget, the highlight of the Vice Presidential debate that year was when Edwards brought up Cheney's daughter.  A rather uncomfortable moment, but memorable nonetheless.

Memorable…but not enough to remember who brought it up, or which debate it was in.  Tongue

It was Kerry who brought up Cheney's daughter in the final presidential debate from that year:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-10-14-lynne-cheney_x.htm
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 03:36:55 AM »

Probably took a cue from the Governator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd1kzNBt4f4
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:14:00 AM »

On behalf of the gays, I can tell you no one cares anymore that our presidential candidates came around late. Obama may have waited until 2012 (and I voted against him in 2008 primaries in part on this) but he visibly moved the needle when he endorsed SSM.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 06:35:09 AM »

OBAMA LIED, PEOPLE MARRIED!!!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2015, 07:51:25 AM by Mechaman »

I just always wondered why he bothered in the first place.  Axelrod is really stating what everybody already knows.  The whole "he did it for the votes!" Logic is particularly stupid considering that the people who do vote against gay marriage were already voting against him that year.  McCain beat Obama in like one poll in the entire campaign and it is not like George W. Bush was a popular president.  With the amount of topics he could slam McCain with (and this is even before the economic meltdown) the whole anti-gay marriage position just made very little sense particularly given Obama's appeal.  You would actually think that the smart thing for him to do would've been to just come out and endorse it to keep spirits high among activists and progressives more so than it was (which admittedly was pretty high).  And for people who say "BUT NORTH CAROLINA!" I would just say that if Democrats were seriously discussing winning North Carolina (which they did) that they were probably in a position where they did not need North Carolina's votes to win the election.

Instead he seemed to be running like it was 2004 and not 2008.  It isn't like gay marriage was that/i] controversial in August of 2008.  The idea that gay marriage was like a decisive issue in 2008 is just hilarious, especially given the economy and Bush's dark shadow over the GOP.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »

I just always wondered why he bothered in the first place.  Axelrod is really stating what everybody already knows.  The whole "he did it for the votes!" Logic is particularly stupid considering that the people who do vote against gay marriage were already voting against him that year.  McCain beat Obama in like one poll in the entire campaign and it is not like George W. Bush was a popular president.  With the amount of topics he could slam McCain with (and this is even before the economic meltdown) the whole anti-gay marriage position just made very little sense particularly given Obama's appeal.  You would actually think that the smart thing for him to do would've been to just come out and endorse it to keep spirits high among activists and progressives more so than it was (which admittedly was pretty high).  And for people who say "BUT NORTH CAROLINA!" I would just say that if Democrats were seriously discussing winning North Carolina (which they did) that they were probably in a position where they did not need North Carolina's votes to win the election.

Instead he seemed to be running like it was 2004 and not 2008.  It isn't like gay marriage was that/i] controversial in August of 2008.  The idea that gay marriage was like a decisive issue in 2008 is just hilarious, especially given the economy and Bush's dark shadow over the GOP.

You seem to forget that an SSM ban passed in friggin' California at the same time as Obama won it by 25 point. 2008 might not have been 2004, but it wasn't 2012 either. The dramatic shift in public opinion on SSM has only occurred over the past 5 years.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »

Coward.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »

I just always wondered why he bothered in the first place.  Axelrod is really stating what everybody already knows.  The whole "he did it for the votes!" Logic is particularly stupid considering that the people who do vote against gay marriage were already voting against him that year.  McCain beat Obama in like one poll in the entire campaign and it is not like George W. Bush was a popular president.  With the amount of topics he could slam McCain with (and this is even before the economic meltdown) the whole anti-gay marriage position just made very little sense particularly given Obama's appeal.  You would actually think that the smart thing for him to do would've been to just come out and endorse it to keep spirits high among activists and progressives more so than it was (which admittedly was pretty high).  And for people who say "BUT NORTH CAROLINA!" I would just say that if Democrats were seriously discussing winning North Carolina (which they did) that they were probably in a position where they did not need North Carolina's votes to win the election.

Instead he seemed to be running like it was 2004 and not 2008.  It isn't like gay marriage was that/i] controversial in August of 2008.  The idea that gay marriage was like a decisive issue in 2008 is just hilarious, especially given the economy and Bush's dark shadow over the GOP.

You seem to forget that an SSM ban passed in friggin' California at the same time as Obama won it by 25 point. 2008 might not have been 2004, but it wasn't 2012 either. The dramatic shift in public opinion on SSM has only occurred over the past 5 years.

Yes, but I highly doubt it would have cost him the presidential race.  People in 2008, though still largely anti-gay, at least had their priorities straight (like your California example shows).

Though I do concede a lot of Obama's momentum came post crash, so it is harder to tell how his stances on social issues impacted his polling.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »

2050 Atlas Forum --- Obama will be retroactively called a bigot who did nothing for Civil Rights HP a la LBJ with quotes from 2008 as proof.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »

It sounds like it was at least as much about the primary as about the general election. Early on, Obama winning black voters against Clinton was far from a sure thing, nor was the idea that he would do so well in places like Idaho and Nebraska.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »

It's kind of annoying to me that the far right of Christianity - a religion that encompasses about 8 in 10 Americans - gets a monopoly on that name sometimes.  "John Kerry chose a 'Christian guy' like Edwards"?  John Kerry is a Christian, period.  Nearly everyone who's ever been on a Presidential ticket has been, including our current President and Vice President.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

Axelrod just needs something interesting - a nugget that will make it in the news - to sell his book. This is a relatively harmless one that nonetheless looks juicy at first.

I'll give the man credit - he's the smartest political operative of his generation. I've always thought he was the "brains" behind Obama '08 - and unlike some operatives, he continues to give smart and relevant thoughts today.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »

Well, he did oppose Prop. 8, which was a little weird for a gay marriage opponent.

Democratic politicians tended to oppose constitutional bans (whether state or federal), even while refraining from endorsing SSM.  Obama, Hillary, Biden all voted against constitutional bans, and none of them probably ever had much of a problem with SSM.  Or at least while they couldn't endorse gay marriage for political reasons, they didn't want to completely throw gays under the bus with constitutional bans, either.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »

I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 12:41:07 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 12:44:53 AM by Ebowed »

Don't forget, the highlight of the Vice Presidential debate that year was when Edwards brought up Cheney's daughter.  A rather uncomfortable moment, but memorable nonetheless.

Memorable…but not enough to remember who brought it up, or which debate it was in.  Tongue

It was Kerry who brought up Cheney's daughter in the final presidential debate from that year:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-10-14-lynne-cheney_x.htm

Actually, the article mentions the debate I was referring to:

It is presented as 'polite' rather than 'uncomfortable' here, perhaps for the purpose of drawing a contrast between this and Kerry's remarks afterwards, but I still recall it as the latter much more so than the former.

Edit:  a transcript does look rather 'polite', to be honest (as well as full of the awful realities of 2004-era politics, ugh) but I definitely didn't have the final presidential debate in mind when writing that post. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 12:46:29 AM »

Also, here is Obama's response to this allegation:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/buzzfeed-news-interview-president-obama?awesm=ofa.bo_b2o8#.of6y94QOa0
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »

When in doubt, hedge your bet on rhetoric. I mean that has to be a fundamental rule of politics. That's what he was doing. History shows that things don't just change overnight. We were in a very transitionary point on the issue in 2008.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 06:52:00 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

It sounds like it was at least as much about the primary as about the general election. Early on, Obama winning black voters against Clinton was far from a sure thing, nor was the idea that he would do so well in places like Idaho and Nebraska.

There weren't many Democratic primary voters in Idaho who were opposed to same-sex marriage in 2008.

I'm surprised that so many posters believe that Democrats in red states are more conservative than Democrats nationwide. Democratic primary voters in Idaho are highly irreligious. I'd estimate that ~40% of Democratic primary voters in Idaho are non-religious. That wasn't the case in 1990.

There's no doubt that Obama's opposition to gay marriage was crucial to his primary victory but it would have solidified his numbers in Idaho and Utah.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »

this is wedge issue politics 101
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies