Scott Walker's college problem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:35:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker's college problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: How big of an issue will it be that Walker was a drop-out?
Huge issue that will prevent him from going far

An issue that could be big if played right by the opposition

Some might care, but overall not that big of an issue

Better chance that it helps him rather than hurts him

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Scott Walker's college problem  (Read 7968 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »

Y'all have an opinion?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »

I myself lack even an associate's degree, so I don't see what the issue is here.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »

I'm sure in today's virulently anti-intellectual Republican party it's going to be considered a huge plus.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »

Trying to attack him for this will backfire, because it will make the attacker seem like an elitist snob.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »

The left trying to make this an issue is laughable. If anything, it will backfire.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »

I mean, it should be an issue. But we are a nation of dumbs, unfortunately.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »

It allows him to relate to the broad swath of white, exurban-suburban conservative Christians with "some college" education who at this point make up the foundation of the GOP.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »

I actually find his gpa (2.59) a little more worrying than his lack of a degree. I don't think either his gpa or his lack of degree will matter, but he definitely needs to be prepared to address the issue.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:20:16 AM »

I would feel much more comfortable about him if he had a JD from Yale or Harvard.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:05:37 AM »

Yes I'm sure Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman were absolutely unfit to be President, unlike such eminently qualified college educated men such as James Buchanan and Herbert Hoover.

Trying to attack him for this will backfire, because it will make the attacker seem like an elitist snob.

This.

As much as I deplore Scott Walker's political stances and actions, attacking him for the lack of a college degree is both idiotic and counterproductive. It will only further fuel the Culture War narrative and alienate the white working-class vote, when instead the Democratic Party should be gunning for this vote by advancing the sort of economic populist agenda outlined in a modest way in President Obama's latest State of the Union.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 01:14:31 AM »

In GOP primary, which I hope he eliminates Jeb, not much, because Jeb reminds of how average Dubya was. But against Dems, where affluent people vote, much more against OMalley or Clinton.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 01:19:04 AM »

In GOP primary, which I hope he eliminates Jeb, not much, because Jeb reminds of how average Dubya was. But against Dems, where affluent people vote, much more against OMalley or Clinton.

There aren't any affluent Republicans?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:03 AM »

There aren't any affluent Republicans?

People seem to forget that the core of the Tea Party activist class were and are largely upper-middle class college graduates.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 01:30:07 AM »

Yes I'm sure Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman were absolutely unfit to be President, unlike such eminently qualified college educated men such as James Buchanan and Herbert Hoover.

This.

As much as I deplore Scott Walker's political stances and actions, attacking him for the lack of a college degree is both idiotic and counterproductive. It will only further fuel the Culture War narrative and alienate the white working-class vote, when instead the Democratic Party should be gunning for this vote by advancing the sort of economic populist agenda outlined in a modest way in President Obama's latest State of the Union.

Of all the things to attack Walker on, his education (or perceived lack of one) is one of the worst things Democrats could do. There's a huge number of people who never finished college that would be quite turned off by attacks like these.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »

We have a longer thread about this topic from a year ago:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=182799.0
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »

Somewhere between "Not an issue" and "maybe it even helps him".

I mean, why would anyone care about this ? You don't need a college degree to be a good president, just street smarts, common sense and a good sense how to deal with people in the US and around the world.

Also, Walker already got elected Governor 3 times in WI (usually a Dem. state), so why should this hurt him in other states ?
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 02:56:00 AM »

Well done Lief, hope there are more elitist snobs like you out there, we have an elitist snob sitting right in the Oval Office & he can't or doesn't know how to say Islamic extremist's...that's what a college degree does to you, makes you book smart and street dumb, hope Hillary imitates him. Then we "affluent" Republicans shouldn't have a problem.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »

Well done Lief, hope there are more elitist snobs like you out there, we have an elitist snob sitting right in the Oval Office & he can't or doesn't know how to say Islamic extremist's...that's what a college degree does to you, makes you book smart and street dumb, hope Hillary imitates him. Then we "affluent" Republicans shouldn't have a problem.

You mean people like David Perdue?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 05:22:01 AM »

I cant see this alone being an issue. However, if he had a few bad debates or interviews where he said some ignorant things, then this would become part of that narrative. That being said, I don't see Walker having any Quayle or Palin type episodes so this wont be an issue.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:36 AM »

Should it matter, IMO yes it should, the president of the united states should have atleast a 4 year degree.

With that said, if the dems try to go after him on this i think it will backfire big time as many of their party come from tough upbringings and dont have a college degree either. JMHO
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »

I think if the 21st century economy (particularly after the financial crisis) has taught us anything, it's that college really doesn't help you in the job market unless you majored in a STEM field OR you graduated from a very prominent school. So why should it still matter for president?

And before anyone resorts to an ad hominem, I have degrees, but I've only ever worked jobs that I could've just done straight out of high school. Many people are in my situation.

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »

No, being a college graduate does not necessarily make you a more capable person and it is absolutely elitist for the establishment to frame it as such. Walker will already have plenty of issues for the opposition to discuss, I doubt this will be one of them.

Besides, as most Americans cannot afford college without overwhelming debt, this might serve as an advantage for Walker in poorer communities (At least in places Queen Hillary doesn't have a base).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »

College education is a standard today and it wasn't in the past. Can't really compare. There are great men in history who were illiterate or only had 8th grade education.  That is not fit for leadership in the 21st century.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »

Is there some valuable course he missed out on by leaving a year early to get a good job?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:51 PM »

I was torn between the second and third options.  I don't think having a post-secondary degree is a qualification for office, but most folks want to elect someone with good judgment.  His decision to drop out could be seen as a sign of poor judgment.  It may also be evidence of a lack of tenacity.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies