Scott Walker's college problem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:50:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker's college problem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: How big of an issue will it be that Walker was a drop-out?
Huge issue that will prevent him from going far

An issue that could be big if played right by the opposition

Some might care, but overall not that big of an issue

Better chance that it helps him rather than hurts him

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Scott Walker's college problem  (Read 7958 times)
bobloblaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

Scott Walker didn't build a company or have a real profession like Gates or Jobs. I have serious reservations about any politician who doesn't have an actual profession.
he worked for IBM and the Red Cross for a few years.

I was talking about in the context comparing him to Gates and Jobs. He's nowhere near being like them.

Scott Walker didn't build a company or have a real profession like Gates or Jobs. I have serious reservations about any politician who doesn't have an actual profession.

Obama? Hillary?

Obama and Hillary worked at law firms, and Hillary has been on faculty.

What? He pursued a marketing degree while working part time at IBM in a sales position. IBM later offered him a full time marketing job. He then dropped out of college because this was the job he wanted when he graduated college anyway. He then went on to fundraising for the Red Cross on the basis of this experience.

Walker is pretty awful and a bad candidate too, but this "issue" is a complete non-starter.

He doesn't have an actually profession like other candidates, that's all I'm pointing out. His private sector experience is far less than his service in public office.

Law Firms?Huh??  Anyone can be a lawyer and any lawyer can create their own business. Youre suggesting being governor of a mid sized state is less qualifying than being a lawyer in some two bit law firm.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

I was talking about in the context comparing him to Gates and Jobs. He's nowhere near being like them.

Obama? Hillary?

What? He pursued a marketing degree while working part time at IBM in a sales position. IBM later offered him a full time marketing job. He then dropped out of college because this was the job he wanted when he graduated college anyway. He then went on to fundraising for the Red Cross on the basis of this experience.

Walker is pretty awful and a bad candidate too, but this "issue" is a complete non-starter.

He doesn't have an actually profession like other candidates, that's all I'm pointing out. His private sector experience is far less than his service in public office.

Law Firms?Huh??  Anyone can be a lawyer and any lawyer can create their own business. Youre suggesting being governor of a mid sized state is less qualifying than being a lawyer in some two bit law firm.

I think you are getting confused here. Someone compared Walker to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, which is inaccurate, since Walker didn't do what they did. Clinton and Obama had a profession they worked at besides political service. It's two separate things, but the point is, Walker's career has mainly been political.
bobloblaw
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »

Obama? Hillary?

I think you are getting confused here. Someone compared Walker to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, which is inaccurate, since Walker didn't do what they did. Clinton and Obama had a profession they worked at besides political service. It's two separate things, but the point is, Walker's career has mainly been political.

the point is you dont need college to excel in life
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »

Obama? Hillary?

the point is you dont need college to excel in life

Well, no. When you can run for public office and get political support, college isn't necessary.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »

You should never just only look at the highlights of someone's resume.  It should be about their ability to do the job, in terms of skills and talent.

That said, I'm personally not super impressed by someone having a political career.  Success in politics is mostly connections, hard work and sales-skill.  But, when you're talking about the Presidency, you don't just want a good salesman who has great rolodex  a swing state.  That's a type of skill I guess, but it doesn't speak to your character or your brain.

The President should be an exceptional person.  With someone like Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, that's not a question.  Hillary or Barack could be one of the top corporate lawyers in America.  They could be CEO of a Fortune 500 company.  They have that kind of resume and intellect.  Love them or hate them, that's true.

Is Scott Walker that type of person?  I don't think so, but to be fair, I just kind of write him off because he's a squinty-eyed Republican dork.  But, it doesn't matter what I think.  I just think Scott Walker needs to prove himself qualified intellectually, more so than say, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.  We'll see if he can do that.
bobloblaw
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »

You should never just only look at the highlights of someone's resume.  It should be about their ability to do the job, in terms of skills and talent.

That said, I'm personally not super impressed by someone having a political career.  Success in politics is mostly connections, hard work and sales-skill.  But, when you're talking about the Presidency, you don't just want a good salesman who has great rolodex  a swing state.  That's a type of skill I guess, but it doesn't speak to your character or your brain.

The President should be an exceptional person.  With someone like Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, that's not a question.  Hillary or Barack could be one of the top corporate lawyers in America.  They could be CEO of a Fortune 500 company.  They have that kind of resume and intellect.  Love them or hate them, that's true.

Is Scott Walker that type of person?  I don't think so, but to be fair, I just kind of write him off because he's a squinty-eyed Republican dork.  But, it doesn't matter what I think.  I just think Scott Walker needs to prove himself qualified intellectually, more so than say, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.  We'll see if he can do that.

Obama could never be a Fortune 500 CEO, at least not a successful one.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »

Obama could never be a Fortune 500 CEO, at least not a successful one.

Wrong!

He was editor of the Harvard Law Review and President of the United States.  So, he's smart and great at networking.  Those are basically the qualifications.  And, I meant in terms of ability if he chosen to go into the corporate world.  There's no way to argue Barack Obama is dumb or bad at networking/winning people over.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 01:00:25 PM by Mister Mets »

You should never just only look at the highlights of someone's resume.  It should be about their ability to do the job, in terms of skills and talent.

That said, I'm personally not super impressed by someone having a political career.  Success in politics is mostly connections, hard work and sales-skill.  But, when you're talking about the Presidency, you don't just want a good salesman who has great rolodex  a swing state.  That's a type of skill I guess, but it doesn't speak to your character or your brain.

The President should be an exceptional person.  With someone like Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, that's not a question.  Hillary or Barack could be one of the top corporate lawyers in America.  They could be CEO of a Fortune 500 company.  They have that kind of resume and intellect.  Love them or hate them, that's true.

Is Scott Walker that type of person?  I don't think so, but to be fair, I just kind of write him off because he's a squinty-eyed Republican dork.  But, it doesn't matter what I think.  I just think Scott Walker needs to prove himself qualified intellectually, more so than say, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.  We'll see if he can do that.
Governors do have skills that are transferrable to being President. It's going from being in charge of a large bureaucracy to being in charge of an even larger bureaucracy (Walker's also made a similar leap before from County Executive to Governor.)

And before anyone suggests that George W Bush proves Governors make ineffective Presidents, he came from a state where Governors had to stick around for a long time to have an impact. Say what you will about Walker, he has been a consequential Governor.

Someone with the intellect to be a great corporate lawyer could still struggle in an unfamiliar environment, as Obama did. Hillary is obviously very familiar with Washington and how the White House operates, although this would be her first time in an executive position, where she's the one calling all the shots.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »

You should never just only look at the highlights of someone's resume.  It should be about their ability to do the job, in terms of skills and talent.

That said, I'm personally not super impressed by someone having a political career.  Success in politics is mostly connections, hard work and sales-skill.  But, when you're talking about the Presidency, you don't just want a good salesman who has great rolodex  a swing state.  That's a type of skill I guess, but it doesn't speak to your character or your brain.

The President should be an exceptional person.  With someone like Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, that's not a question.  Hillary or Barack could be one of the top corporate lawyers in America.  They could be CEO of a Fortune 500 company.  They have that kind of resume and intellect.  Love them or hate them, that's true.

Is Scott Walker that type of person?  I don't think so, but to be fair, I just kind of write him off because he's a squinty-eyed Republican dork.  But, it doesn't matter what I think.  I just think Scott Walker needs to prove himself qualified intellectually, more so than say, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.  We'll see if he can do that.
Governors do have skills that are transferrable to being President. It's going from being in charge of a large bureaucracy to being in charge of an even larger bureaucracy (Walker's also made a similar leap before from County Executive to Governor.)

And before anyone suggests that George W Bush proves Governors make ineffective Presidents, he came from a state where Governors had to stick around for a long time to have an impact. Say what you will about Walker, he has been a consequential Governor.

Someone with the intellect to be a great corporate lawyer could still struggle in an unfamiliar environment, as Obama did. Hillary is obviously very familiar with Washington and how the White House operates, although this would be her first time in an executive position, where she's the one calling all the shots.

OK.  I don't totally see how that's in response to what I said. 

Also, FYI Scott Walker has been a horrible governor and Barack Obama has been a great President.  So, there's that.
bobloblaw
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »

OK.  I don't totally see how that's in response to what I said. 

Also, FYI Scott Walker has been a horrible governor and Barack Obama has been a great President.  So, there's that.

Walker has been an excellent governor and Obama has been a pretty poor president. Obama has presided over the weakest economic recovery on record and his foreign policy is a total mess. After Bush, we needed someone to clean up, instead he made it worse in Libya and Russia. Obama first and foremost doesnt believe in the US as a source of good in the world.

Walker on the other hand has brought public sector unions under control. Something badly needed and he did it in a way that was far far less ham handed than Kaisch did.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2015, 03:45:56 PM »

Walker has been an excellent governor and Obama has been a pretty poor president. Obama has presided over the weakest economic recovery on record and his foreign policy is a total mess. After Bush, we needed someone to clean up, instead he made it worse in Libya and Russia. Obama first and foremost doesnt believe in the US as a source of good in the world.

Walker on the other hand has brought public sector unions under control. Something badly needed and he did it in a way that was far far less ham handed than Kaisch did.

OK.  We all have opinions I suppose.  If your opinons are copy-pasted from talkingpoints.gop.com, I can see how you would dislike Obama.  And, if you think Scott Walker was a good governor and you would vote for him based on his record, God love you, but I think you're cray-cray. 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 12:50:35 AM »

Of course, dearest Scotty is far too invulnerable and battletested (remember, he won THREE TIMES in FOUR YEARS) to be hurt by such a non-issue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 01:54:38 AM »

Imagine if Obama or Hillary dropped out of college. Likely, none of us would even know who they were in the first place.

A white Republican man like Scott Walker can "get away" with that, because reasons. Even Sarah Palin (eventually) finished her Bachelor's.

Why do we not know Obama's GPA when Walker's 2.59 is common knowledge?

This is nonsense. Walker didn't graduate so it helps to know part of the reason why. You also tend to hear about it when it is lower like the case of Perry.

In addition, Obama transferred into Columbia and only spent two years there. I don't know how representative GPA would be. It's almost assured to be high though. Especially considering he continued into Harvard Law where he got magna cum laude. I haven't researched, but his graduate GPA is likely 3.75+. That's enough reason not to even bother.

Also, Ivy League!

Not to mention Editor of the Harvard Law Review (a BIG fing deal). For af. Am to do so.

In short, SPC: You're not helping.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »

Imagine if Obama or Hillary dropped out of college. Likely, none of us would even know who they were in the first place.

A white Republican man like Scott Walker can "get away" with that, because reasons. Even Sarah Palin (eventually) finished her Bachelor's.

Why do we not know Obama's GPA when Walker's 2.59 is common knowledge?

This is nonsense. Walker didn't graduate so it helps to know part of the reason why. You also tend to hear about it when it is lower like the case of Perry.

In addition, Obama transferred into Columbia and only spent two years there. I don't know how representative GPA would be. It's almost assured to be high though. Especially considering he continued into Harvard Law where he got magna cum laude. I haven't researched, but his graduate GPA is likely 3.75+. That's enough reason not to even bother.

Also, Ivy League!

Not to mention Editor of the Harvard Law Review (a BIG fing deal). For af. Am to do so.

In short, SPC: You're not helping.

And why do we have the double standard where extracurricular accomplishments serve as a marker for academic achievement for Obama but not for Walker?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »

Before someone mentions Harry Truman -- Truman did make the rank of Captain in the US Army and had a long political career.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »

I love scott Walker, my only SERIOUS concern is how will he debate when it comes to foreign policy?!? This will probably be make or break for him.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies