Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:22:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 223453 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2015, 03:09:47 PM »

Why does Bushie always go through these shady recruiters. Can't he just go to target.com and apply for a job?

He should, but to be fair, after I was laid off and was looking for work, most of the job ads on Career builder, Monster, Indeed, etc were through recruiters and/or Temp to Perm positions through Temp Agencies.  These were jobs in the NYC metro in the financial industry in the wake of the crash, so that may have explained quite a bit of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if its is similar for Bushie.  Most the ads on those type of sites aren't directly though the company.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2015, 03:13:45 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2015, 03:15:38 PM by SMilo »

Have you considered Bakersfield? I think you would like it there.

Cost of living is way too high.  Plus Oklahoma > California.

I ask because Bakersfield is just like Oklahoma, but far enough away that it would be a different experience.

Bushie likes country music so presumably he knows what happens to the vagrants on the "Streets of Bakersfield". Oklahoma provides unconditional support. Major difference in his world.

Just don't go 'spend some time in San Francisco' and it would be a lovely experience!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »

Afraid he might end up with some flowers in hair?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »

I am home from the meeting.  He has one, maybe two, positions he is going to submit me for in the IT industry, and he should be able to submit the first one either this afternoon or first thing Monday.  He said they are usually pretty quick about getting back to setting up an interview and then quick making the decision after the interview.

I also got a rejection e-mail from Macy's, so that one's out.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »

I am home from the meeting.  He has one, maybe two, positions he is going to submit me for in the IT industry, and he should be able to submit the first one either this afternoon or first thing Monday.  He said they are usually pretty quick about getting back to setting up an interview and then quick making the decision after the interview.

What did you apply to do at Macy's?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

^^
BOGUS JOB

VS

REAL JOB
\/

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »

^^
BOGUS JOB

VS

REAL JOB
\/

Why do you immediately dismiss it as an automatic bogus job?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »

^^
BOGUS JOB

VS

REAL JOB
\/

The past XX seasons.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »

^^
BOGUS JOB

VS

REAL JOB
\/

The past XX seasons.

So, everything I get an interview for is a bogus job and everything that rejects me is a real job?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »

What IT qualifications do you have? that's the real reason I'm calling it bogus.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2015, 05:18:07 PM »

^^
BOGUS JOB

VS

REAL JOB
\/

The past XX seasons.

So, everything I get an interview for is a bogus job and everything that rejects me is a real job?

He may be referring to the promised turnaround time, too. The companies that are really career-oriented places don't likely hire at the drop of a hat. On the other hand, I was hired after my first and only interview -- offered the job the same day. On the third hand, my interview lasted 7.5 hours.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »

What IT qualifications do you have? that's the real reason I'm calling it bogus.

He has a degree in 'e-commerce' from Northwestern Oklahoma State University.
Attorney General & Senator Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »

So, Bushie, did we get up to 25 minutes of walking today? Or even more?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »

Does e-commerce involve any of the following?
1. Actual programming/databases/webpage construction
2. Real math courses (at the very least, 2 semesters of calculus)

My guess is no...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »

My guess is no...

It must be a pretty useless degree, considering that he has never indicated the slightest interest in actually doing something related to e-commerce.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »

My guess is no...

I pulled up the archived course listing from NWOSU's now-defunct E-Commerce program. It's from Fall 2002, which would have been during the time Jeff was there.

Here's what we've got...

Introduction to E-Commerce
Web Programming I
Website Design & Development
Internet Programming II
Web Programming II
Database Driven Websites
E-Commerce Capstone
E-Commerce Technical Systems Design
E-Commerce Law/Policy/Regulation
Internet Programming III
E-Commerce Marketing

And the website for the E-Commerce program itself.

It appears that Jeff would have come away from this with at the very least a basic understanding of HTML programming and how to write SQL queries and such. Given that, I don't understand why he wouldn't want to be a database administrator or a network administrator - all jobs that pay pretty well and require virtually no personal interaction as is the case with the ubiquitous sales and call center jobs.

Instead of blowing all that money on CADD school, why couldn't he have gotten some Microsoft and Cisco certifications and gone into enterprise IT?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »

I have no idea what it entails. I just like repeating the following sentence: He has a degree in 'e-commerce' from Northwestern Oklahoma State University.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2015, 08:19:09 PM »

My company's contracted IT guys were in today doing server maintenance and I casually talked to them about Bushie (just that he's a friend with an IT area BS looking to get back in).

They said he might as well not have any education at all with a degree from 2003. Real legitimate IT companies demand continuing education and lots of it. Unless you are self-employed, if you haven't earned a new certificate in something in the past 3-5 years, you're basically considered out of the business when applying for a new job, or trying to keep your current one.

If an IT company is offering Bushie a "job", the quotation marks should be just that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »

Good evening, guys.  I'll be perfectly honest, this IT job would be a Help Desk, like what I did at Dell in Oklahoma City and at Xerox in Utah.  It is a call center, but a higher-end call center.  I had pretty decent success at Dell as I was there for a solid year and was only evicted due to a downsizing.  This was still near the height of the recession in May 2012 that I was let go.  I could have gone a lot longer in Utah had I not made the rash decision to come home to OKC for CAD school.  So, the question is not can I do it, because I know I can.  Plus, now, I am 3 years older than I was at Dell and am a little more mature.  I am ready to settle down into a career and I think this Help Desk could be the ticket to do just that.

Let me also be clear that the Help Desk position is not the only game in town right now. I still have the application in at the window washing company and the meeting with the recruiter next Wednesday is for CAD jobs.  Ultimately, I would still like a CAD job, but right now, I will take the first legitimate job to come along.  I will still keep looking for other opportunities throughout the weekend so I can have a leg up on the job search for Monday.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2015, 08:51:08 PM »

You have this schizophrenic approach to job seeking. One minute, you could see yourself doing Job X for a lifelong career, the next it's just a stopgap job until CADD materializes. You're worried about "thugs" attacking you as an Uber driver but expect that doing grunt work at a car dealership is going to enable you to be around more upstanding people. (Expect a lot of criminal records and easy contacts if you want some weed.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »

I am ready to settle down into a career and I think this Help Desk could be the ticket to do just that.

But are you still planning to move to Kenya in a few years?  You're going to settle down into a career, before leaving it behind to live in Kenya?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »

This was still near the height of the recession in May 2012 that I was let go.

I don't understand how you can just make that statement. At this point, the economy had grown beyond pre-recession levels. You got hired around the point of the first post-recession blip.

I don't mean to blame it on you, but just be accurate about it. We are on a political site, so these small differences of a year are very important. The reasoning is entirely based on the company at the time. I think that's when talks of Dell going private and their continuing poor performance were ongoing.

FWIW, I think that'd be fantastic if you could find something like that. Especially if you enjoyed it. Would be better than the other stuff that you have been offered.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »

Can a help desk be a career?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »

I am ready to settle down into a career and I think this Help Desk could be the ticket to do just that.

But are you still planning to move to Kenya in a few years?  You're going to settle down into a career, before leaving it behind to live in Kenya?

If things fall in place, then yes, Kenya is still in the plans.  I'm confident they will.  A Help Desk job would be a good way to make the money needed to pay off my debt and make the move to Kenya.  If things for Kenya do not fall in place, which I do not believe will happen, a Help Desk career can be a good way to save up for retirement.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »

I believe it can.  Dell definitely had the potential to be a career.  I don't see any reason why this company couldn't lead to stabilization and a career.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies