Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:01:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 221585 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2015, 04:29:20 AM »

This has truly been a fantastic episode.  The writers are always on top form when they delve into religion (even if it is mostly plagiarized).
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2015, 05:01:51 AM »

The Bible says it will wipe out a third of mankind - over 2 billion people. I highly doubt the war will stay in the Eastern Hemisphere.  It has the probability of spreading into the West.

2 billion people don't live in the West. 5.5 of our 7 billion people live in Asia and Africa.

It amazing how clueless he is.

Fantastic episode btw. 
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #602 on: February 19, 2015, 05:08:28 AM »

I think John was just overdramatizing the eclipse of 1999 for a good laugh and to break the americocentristic bent. ;-)

Wasn't there a reference in the Simpsons, that Halley's comet collided with the moon? I think this would count. Found the 4th trumpet. It's actually meta-allegorical. ;-)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #603 on: February 19, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »

So September 11th, 2001 isn't even a trumpet? Shocking.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #604 on: February 19, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »

What "man" says: The Gospel of John, the Epistles of John, and Revelation are all written by the same person, who was also one of the 12 Apostles. This is a traditional viewpoint.
What the Bible says: Neither these books, nor any other books, identify the Apostle John as the author.
What Bushie believes: The Apostle John wrote all 5 of the books. He defensively and angrily points this out and says that no one can believe otherwise. Bushie derives his belief from Man, rather than from the Bible.

Bushie, will you either admit that it's possible that the Apostle didn't write those books (after all, belief on the authorship of these books has nothing to do with one's salvation, according to you and everyone else), or that you don't necessary always believe in the Bible over Man?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #605 on: February 19, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »

If Irvin Baxter said that the First Trumpet, or all of them, is actually a reference to climate change, would Bushie all of a sudden decide that global warming is real?

Reading the passages from Revelation, that's a much more reasonable explanation than thinking they somehow reference the World Wars or a war with the Muslim-Orthodox-Catholic alliance...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #606 on: February 19, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »

all of this trumpet nonsense makes me glad yet again that im an atheist.

superstition.  pure and simple.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #607 on: February 19, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »

^^^^^^^
Not only this, but it reads like a MadLibs.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #608 on: February 19, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »

Literally every religious poster in this thread is making fun of Bushie for this nonsense. It has nothing to do with religiouses vs. atheists.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #609 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »

Literally every religious poster in this thread is making fun of Bushie for this nonsense. It has nothing to do with religiouses vs. atheists.

Yea, but I get what Walter is saying.  I also like being reminded that I don't have to deal with all this hogwash.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #610 on: February 19, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »

The 4th Trumpet would actually be a good fit for climate change.

Locusts with long hair who pester you not to eat the earth are a pretty good description of hippy environmentalists.

Hmmm... perhaps the key to convincing Americans on climate change will be to have an Evangelical pastor connect climate change to the 7 trumpets.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #611 on: February 19, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »

There are eevangelicals concerned about climate change: http://www.upworthy.com/if-her-religion-makes-you-feel-uneasy-youre-paying-attention-to-exactly-the-wrong-thing
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #612 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:07 AM »

The Bible says it will wipe out a third of mankind - over 2 billion people. I highly doubt the war will stay in the Eastern Hemisphere.  It has the probability of spreading into the West.

2 billion people don't live in the West. 5.5 of our 7 billion people live in Asia and Africa.

The 2 billion people includes the West, but not only the west.  It's unclear how much of the United States will be involved.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #613 on: February 19, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »

do you guys think crazy religious people in like south america or africa are similarly ethnocentric* with their doomsday predictions?

*I don't know if ethnocentric is the right word but hopefully y'all get what I mean
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #614 on: February 19, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »

Bushie why do you hate the catholics?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #615 on: February 19, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »

The Bible says it will wipe out a third of mankind - over 2 billion people. I highly doubt the war will stay in the Eastern Hemisphere.  It has the probability of spreading into the West.

The 2 billion people includes the West, but not only the west.  It's unclear how much of the United States will be involved.

Well, when you factor in that Christians will be raptured in the West, in order to get to the 2 billion people killed in the Apocalyptic War, you'd have to get the East Asians involved somehow and I don't see how Japan and China will suddenly care about ISIS.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #616 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »

Um Japan doesn't care about ISIS? We're you paying attention recently?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #617 on: February 19, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »

Um Japan doesn't care about ISIS? We're you paying attention recently?

I meant in the sense of getting into a war. The numbers just aren't there for 2 billion of the world's non-Christian population to be threatened in a war with ISIS. ISIS would have to move east into conquering Asia which doesn't fit into Bushie's narrative that the EU/Greece will produce the AC.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #618 on: February 19, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »

Remember that the people who believe this crap don't believe all people who identify as Christian will be raptured. It'll be a vast minority even in the west. Also the war will involve some sort of totalitarian government over the entire world...do yeah Alexis Tspiras is going to rule the world soon.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #619 on: February 19, 2015, 11:10:30 AM »

Remember that the people who believe this crap don't believe all people who identify as Christian will be raptured. It'll be a vast minority even in the west. Also the war will involve some sort of totalitarian government over the entire world...do yeah Alexis Tspiras is going to rule the world soon.

Wait, Tspiras is the Anti-Christ now? A few pages back it was Putin. And wasn't it Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi a few months ago?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #620 on: February 19, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

I'm not going to answer any more questions on this matter.  For my thoughts on Pope Francis, check out earlier seasons of the Update, I explained it there.  We had a good discussion, and I'm not trying to get out of it, but I need to spend the next couple of hours preparing for my interviews today.

Let me close the discussion by saying this.  What I said last night is just what I believe.  Everyone is free to believe what they want to believe about the end time.  Nobody knows exactly what is going to happen.  You have the right to disagree with me and I'm not going to say you're right or wrong.  The truth of the matter is it doesn't affect one's relationship with Jesus Christ which is the most important thing in the life of every person in the world.  The book of Revelation and the interpretation thereof, is what I like to call a tertiary issue.  It's a third tier issue that has no bearing on the grand scheme of things.  God's going to do what He's going to do.  I will believe how I believe and everybody else is free to interpret it how they want to interpret it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #621 on: February 19, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »

Can somebody decide to be the Anti-Christ? Or do they have to be chosen?

I mean, the Book of Revelation tells you everything you need to do to be the AC. I guess I could just work to be him.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »

I'm not going to answer any more questions on this matter.  For my thoughts on Pope Francis, check out earlier seasons of the Update, I explained it there.  We had a good discussion, and I'm not trying to get out of it, but I need to spend the next couple of hours preparing for my interviews today.

Let me close the discussion by saying this.  What I said last night is just what I believe.  Everyone is free to believe what they want to believe about the end time.  Nobody knows exactly what is going to happen.  You have the right to disagree with me and I'm not going to say you're right or wrong.  The truth of the matter is it doesn't affect one's relationship with Jesus Christ which is the most important thing in the life of every person in the world.  The book of Revelation and the interpretation thereof, is what I like to call a tertiary issue.  It's a third tier issue that has no bearing on the grand scheme of things.  God's going to do what He's going to do.  I will believe how I believe and everybody else is free to interpret it how they want to interpret it.

Bushie will you stop?  I'm an atheist.  I have no relationship with Jesus.  I don't give two [Inks] about Jesus.  So not only is this statement literally wrong it is insanely dismissive of the billions of people who are not Christians.  It's also baffling that you grant us that people can disgaree with you, but then claim Jesus is the most important thing in everyone's life. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #623 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »

Did God show off today?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #624 on: February 19, 2015, 12:35:14 PM »

I love when God shows off. I remember the AFC/NFC championships and the Super Bowl of this year being some of the Lord's best work yet. I was so afraid watching those games unfold, much like watching my fantasy team play this year.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies