Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:52:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 221717 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: February 20, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »

I wonder if Bushie also thinks the Pentateuch had a single author.
He doesn't think that. He knows. It's fact that Moses wrote all five books except for the part where he dies.

Except for the three different writing styles and characterizations that pervade most of it, though maybe Moses was just schizophrenic. Also, I've heard it said that Moses did write the part where he died as well.

Except the rest of the Bible conforms that Moses wrote those books.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #676 on: February 20, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »

He doesn't think that. He knows. It's fact that Moses wrote all five books except for the part where he dies.

Except for the three different writing styles and characterizations that pervade most of it, though maybe Moses was just schizophrenic. Also, I've heard it said that Moses did write the part where he died as well.

Isn't it a pretty much accepted that a woman wrote Genesis 2?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #677 on: February 20, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »

I do believe Moses wrote all of the Pentateuch except for Deuteronomy 34.  I believe Joshua wrote that chapter as that's the chapter Moses dies.  It would make sense since the next book is Joshua and it was written by Joshua.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #678 on: February 20, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »

I do believe Moses wrote all of the Pentateuch except for Deuteronomy 34.  I believe Joshua wrote that chapter as that's the chapter Moses dies.  It would make sense since the next book is Joshua and it was written by Joshua.

Interestingly, in Joshua's private memoirs, he says that it was Moses' physician who provided the finishing touches to Deuteronomy.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #679 on: February 20, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »

Bushie, are these Wikipedia pages interesting to you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosaic_authorship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

They are intellectually fascinating to me, and I don't really even care about the Bible that much. I can't imagine someone as interested in the Bible as you are wouldn't be even more interested in this subject.

And yet ... I suspect this subject is going to get you all bent out of shape and defensive. You'll insist that you believe that Moses wrote the books and that you will never, ever consider anything otherwise.

Why is that? Nothing in any of these articles implies the untruth of the Bible, so that's out, and you yourself agree that one's salvation is not in danger simply by using literary analysis to challenge the traditional (ie, Man-defined) authorship of certain books. Do you just have loyalty to the pastor who originally told you that it's a 100% fact that Moses wrote the first 5 books and you don't want to consider that he might be wrong?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #680 on: February 20, 2015, 06:39:07 PM »

Isn't it a pretty much accepted that a woman wrote Genesis 2?

Richard Elliott Friedman says that it's possible that either the J source or the E source was a noblewoman rather than a priest, but I forget which and I'm not sure where my copy of Who Wrote the Bible? is to look it up. It's whichever one isn't the one he associates with the Shiloh priesthood.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #681 on: February 20, 2015, 07:00:12 PM »

^^^^
It's been a few days since we had any dinner updates, so I assume the "diet" is RIP.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #682 on: February 20, 2015, 07:14:52 PM »

I did this subject for a research paper (partially) in my Old Testament class everyone, Moses wrote all of those books.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #683 on: February 20, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »

I did this subject for a research paper (partially) in my Old Testament class everyone, Moses wrote all of those books.

Well I guess that settles it!  Harry and Nathan can take their 'hard and fast' facts and shove 'em.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #684 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »

Well I guess that settles it!  Harry and Nathan can take their 'hard and fast' facts and shove 'em.

I used hard and fast facts too. But what they were talking about was Revelation, not the first five.

Oddly, my paper was about the "two creation stories". I say that in quotes because Genesis 2 was probably never meant to be a creation story in the first place.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #685 on: February 20, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »

I'd be interested to know where in the world The Obamanation studied the Old Testament. I go to a theologically moderate seminary and none of my professors would dream of claiming that Moses literally wrote any but possibly a very few short passages of the Pentateuch.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: February 20, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »

Interestingly, in Joshua's private memoirs, he says that it was Moses' physician who provided the finishing touches to Deuteronomy.

I'll concede the final chapter of Deuteronomy could be either one.  I've always though it to be Joshua since he wrote the entire next book.  I've never heard of Moses' physician.  He is not mentioned anywhere in Scripture.  I'm not saying he didn't exist, but I don't know if he's an important enough figure to have written that last chapter.  It certainly is possible, though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #687 on: February 20, 2015, 08:24:50 PM »

They are intellectually fascinating to me, and I don't really even care about the Bible that much. I can't imagine someone as interested in the Bible as you are wouldn't be even more interested in this subject.

And yet ... I suspect this subject is going to get you all bent out of shape and defensive. You'll insist that you believe that Moses wrote the books and that you will never, ever consider anything otherwise.

Why is that? Nothing in any of these articles implies the untruth of the Bible, so that's out, and you yourself agree that one's salvation is not in danger simply by using literary analysis to challenge the traditional (ie, Man-defined) authorship of certain books. Do you just have loyalty to the pastor who originally told you that it's a 100% fact that Moses wrote the first 5 books and you don't want to consider that he might be wrong?

I've always believed Moses wrote all five books of the Pentateuch.  I don't really see how it could be anybody else, except for the aforementioned Deuteronomy 34.  The writing styles are very similar in all five books.  I've always grown up with the that belief.  I guess it is possible, just like John, but I don't see how it could be anybody else in either scenario.  Mind you, I come from a very conservative theological background.  Perhaps the difference in opinion comes in with the conservative vs. liberal viewpoints.  I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, but you shouldn't be saying you're 100% correct, either.  If you expect me to at least ponder your viewpoint, you have to at least ponder my viewpoint.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: February 20, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

^^^^
It's been a few days since we had any dinner updates, so I assume the "diet" is RIP.

The diet is not RIP, although it is on a break for the next 72 hours.  I will resume it when I get back to Tulsa Monday evening.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #689 on: February 20, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »

I'll concede the final chapter of Deuteronomy could be either one.  I've always though it to be Joshua since he wrote the entire next book.  I've never heard of Moses' physician.  He is not mentioned anywhere in Scripture.  I'm not saying he didn't exist, but I don't know if he's an important enough figure to have written that last chapter.  It certainly is possible, though.

Who writes a book is not based on who is a subjectively important figure within the book's narrative, Bushie. Also, Ebowed was joking.

I've always believed Moses wrote all five books of the Pentateuch.  I don't really see how it could be anybody else, except for the aforementioned Deuteronomy 34.  The writing styles are very similar in all five books.  I've always grown up with the that belief.  I guess it is possible, just like John, but I don't see how it could be anybody else in either scenario.  Mind you, I come from a very conservative theological background.  Perhaps the difference in opinion comes in with the conservative vs. liberal viewpoints.  I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, but you shouldn't be saying you're 100% correct, either.  If you expect me to at least ponder your viewpoint, you have to at least ponder my viewpoint.

The writing style within the Pentateuch is not even remotely consistent. There are parts of the Flood narrative that are so distinct in style from other parts that scholars have been able to reconstruct two separate, parallel, complete Flood stories that alternate almost literally verse-by-verse. The same is, more famously, true of Genesis 1 and Genesis 2-3. Some chapters were obviously written by somebody who liked Aaron whereas others were by somebody who hated him. The Korah story seems to be constructed similarly to the Flood story. Deuteronomy appears to be largely by the same person as Joshua, Judges, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, and possibly some or all of Jeremiah, but not the four books before it.

Charles Dickens and Anthony Trollope are closer to each other in writing style than the Pentateuch is to itself.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #690 on: February 20, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »

^^^^

The diet is not RIP, although it is on a break for the next 72 hours.  I will resume it when I get back to Tulsa Monday evening.

So it's only in effect when you're within the Tulsa city limits?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #691 on: February 20, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »

Guys, please keep actual Biblical scholar debate to a minimum. It's boring as h-e-double-hockey-sticks.

All Biblical talk should be centered around ODF's beliefs, which are actually entertaining.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #692 on: February 20, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »

Guys, please keep actual Biblical scholar debate to a minimum. It's boring as h-e-double-hockey-sticks.

All Biblical talk should be centered around ODF's beliefs, which are actually entertaining.

Yeah, but, see, the hope is that by throwing real Biblical scholar talk at ODF, we can get him to elaborate on his own beliefs more.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #693 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »

^^^^

Obviously
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #694 on: February 20, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »

^^^^

Convenient considering that Papa is about to cut him off and send him back to the train room.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: February 20, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »

If I get this help desk job then I will plan on extending the apartment lease for six months.  I have 5 weeks to make my official decision.  I would like to stay in Tulsa and get myself established.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #696 on: February 20, 2015, 10:25:46 PM »

^^^^

Yes, it is. I've been dieting for over a year, and am now down 95lbs. You've cheated on your diet more times since you've started than I have since I started. Enjoy your weight gain, fatty. 300lbs looks great on you.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #697 on: February 20, 2015, 10:26:32 PM »

Yeah, but, see, the hope is that by throwing real Biblical scholar talk at ODF, we can get him to elaborate on his own beliefs more.

You are not going to change my mind or even cause me to think.  I believe what the Bible says more than I believe what any man says.  The Bible was written by 40 men, but authored by God Himself. That point cannot be disproven.  The Bible is the ultimate authority on life on earth and after.  There is no scholar who is above the Bible.  God authored the Bible and since no one can dispute that God is the ultimate authority about the existence of the universe (which He created), then I am going to believe God and His Word over some obsolete scholar.  And, yes, the Apostle John wrote the Gospel of John, 1,2,3 John, and Revelation.  Nobody can seriously question that.

Do not talk to me about it anymore.  You are not going to change my mind.  Ever.  Period.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #698 on: February 20, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »

Yes, there are a ton of people who are impossible to convert. Bushie is one of them.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #699 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

^^^^

This is not how a diet works.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies