Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:23:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 221642 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: February 26, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »

congrats, bushie.

while it isnt a glamorous job, it is a real job.  it isnt some scam or people mill.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1126 on: February 26, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »

Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat (literally this time)

Yeah, there should be no need for a name poll this time.

There could be a few variations though:

Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted]
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1127 on: February 26, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »

Wonderful news! Congrats Bushie!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1128 on: February 26, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »

Bushie, what will you do if the stock boys are a bunch of pot-smoking high school kids?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1129 on: February 26, 2015, 06:32:52 PM »

Has anyone else started using the phrase "cleaning up the meat" in casual conversation?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1130 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I am excited about this legit opportunity.  Mom and Dad approve so thats more icing on the cake.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1131 on: February 26, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »

We've all been here...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/onceloyal-enabler-betrays-man-by-suggesting-therap,38108/
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1132 on: February 26, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I am excited about this legit opportunity.  Mom and Dad approve so thats more icing on the cake.

Why do Mom and Dad need to approve?  And again, what will you do if the stock boys are a bunch of pot-smoking rascals?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1133 on: February 26, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »

Why do Mom and Dad need to approve?  And again, what will you do if the stock boys are a bunch of pot-smoking rascals?

They don't need to approve, but their approval makes me feel better in the decision

I will ignore them as best I can.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1134 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:22 PM »

They don't need to approve, but their approval makes me feel better in the decision

I will ignore them as best I can.

1.  Ok

2. It's most likely that you will have interact with them.  They will probably be high at the time considering they are working at a supermarket.  You can ignore most of the time but not always.
Panda Express

« Reply #1135 on: February 26, 2015, 08:07:38 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2015, 08:09:12 PM by Vox Populi »

One of my roommates sophomore year worked at the meat department in a grocery store and was always high when he went to work (though he got fired eventually for being too blazed one time where he giggled nonstop at work). It was actually a good deal because he would always sneak a bunch of chicken tenders and stuff out of the deli every night and brought it from for us.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1136 on: February 26, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2015, 08:14:50 PM by HockeyDude »

One of my roommates sophomore year worked at the meat department in a grocery store and was always high when he went to work (though he got fired eventually for being too blazed one time where he giggled nonstop at work). It was actually a good deal because he would always sneak a bunch of chicken tenders and stuff out of the deli every night and brought it from for us.

What a FF.  

I would personally be very worried to come into work high if I worked with Bushie.  I don't know for sure but I'd imagine he's the biggest tattletale on the planet, at least when it comes to "drugs" (marijuana). 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1137 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »

I just talked to Dad and he brought up an interesting idea that I wanted to bring by the forum.

He recommends after I entertain the interview tomorrow to suspend the job search entirely and take it easy and focus exclusively on the grocery store because of the job security.  He knows I need to have some stability in my resume, so he recommends me just focus exclusively on the store starting this Saturday morning.  He said why risk a permanent job for a job that may be only temporary?  Sure, the pay is not great, but it is a stable job and a chance to move up the ladder being the first employees to christen a brand new store.  It will be hard work and I will be on my feet the entire shift, but that might help me lose weight.  Hard work will be good for me.  He said also it might help my headaches since I won't be glaring at a computer screen all day long.

He is very excited about this job.

What do you all think?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1138 on: February 26, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »

I just talked to Dad and he brought up an interesting idea that I wanted to bring by the forum.

He recommends after I entertain the interview tomorrow to suspend the job search entirely and take it easy and focus exclusively on the grocery store because of the job security.  He knows I need to have some stability in my resume, so he recommends me just focus exclusively on the store starting this Saturday morning.  He said why risk a permanent job for a job that may be only temporary?  Sure, the pay is not great, but it is a stable job and a chance to move up the ladder being the first employees to christen a brand new store.  It will be hard work and I will be on my feet the entire shift, but that might help me lose weight.  Hard work will be good for me.  He said also it might help my headaches since I won't be glaring at a computer screen all day long.

He is very excited about this job.

What do you all think?

Do exactly this.  You get too worked up about other things when your mind can just be focused on what's in front of you.  Just take the job at the supermarket and if you absolutely MUST interview for something else make sure it's CAD(D)-related. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1139 on: February 26, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »

Yes, do what Papa says. He's probably sitting in his train room right now crying tears of joy that his son has a Real Job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1140 on: February 26, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »

I will do exactly that.  I am going to entertain the interview tomorrow, but I'm not going to seriously consider it.  I am excited about starting work at the supermarket and look forward to spending the next three weeks getting myself ready for the new job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1141 on: February 26, 2015, 09:04:37 PM »

Here are the plans for the apartment.  Sometime the week before I start, so the third week of March, I will go ahead and pay my rent for April and officially extend my lease for six months.  The new lease will run from June 1 - November 30 which would put my next decision on or before September 30.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1142 on: February 26, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »

If you're going to have an entire month with nothing to do (because the new job doesn't start until April 1), then you could use that time to…I don't know…learn how to cook something more elaborate than a tomato and bacon sandwich?  (Actually, never mind.  That's obviously wishful thinking.)

Speaking of which, what was for dinner tonight?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1143 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »

If you're going to have an entire month with nothing to do (because the new job doesn't start until April 1), then you could use that time to…I don't know…learn how to cook something more elaborate than a tomato and bacon sandwich?  (Actually, never mind.  That's obviously wishful thinking.)

Speaking of which, what was for dinner tonight?

The job will likely start on or around March 23 so we can train up before the grand opening.

You know what I might also do is go to a store by the same name in Bixby, OK (south of Tulsa) and look around that store so I can kind of get a general idea of the layout of the store.  It may not be the exact same layout as the Owasso store, but it will be very similar.

Dinner was a grilled chicken and tomato sandwich.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1144 on: February 26, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »

Papa Bushie is going to have a booze-strippers-and-blow blowout in the Train Room to celebrate the possibility that he actually will get to retire after all.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1145 on: February 26, 2015, 09:58:35 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2015, 10:00:33 PM by Lame Duck Obama »

In case you are wondering or are just curious here's the timeline breakdown for the interview today and how it all went down:

1215 - Leave home
1240 - Arrive at the Tulsa Tech Conference Center in Owasso
1300 - Sign in for the interview and determine that I will be in the meat department
1302 - Fill out application
1306 - First interview with the Meat Manager
1315 - I was told I was being passed on to a second interview and told to wait in the designated waiting area
1320 - Second interview with the Store Manager
1325 - Job offer and first paperwork signature
1330 - Wait for HR Manager/Representative
1333 - Meeting with the HR person
1336 - Take and Pass Cheek Swab Drug Test
1340 - Walk out to car
1346 - Update the Update
1350 - Head home
1415 - Arrive home
1420 - Call Mom
1427 - Fill out paperwork online to initiate background check
1450 - Update Facebook
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1146 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »

1. Bushie, do you know anything about meat? Customers at uppity stores expect a certain level of food knowledge. Don't fall back exclusively on the training the store will give you. Learn about meat on your own during the whole month you are planning on having absolutely nothing to do. For that matter, learn about other kinds of food. Both for your own practical use and because people are going to ask you questions every single day.
2. Good to see Papa has given up on the CADD pipe dream. No need continuing to throw good money after bad.
3. You can apply at any grocery. It doesn't have to be a brand new store that is having a hiring event. There must be dozens of groceries in Tulsa. There is no such thing as a supermarket that is not hiring.
4. Nice to see you make a good choice for a change. Way to go!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1147 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:18 PM »

Papa Bushie is going to have a booze-strippers-and-blow blowout in the Train Room to celebrate the possibility that he actually will get to retire after all.

Or just an On the Border or Abuelo's Mexican Dinner.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1148 on: February 26, 2015, 10:11:07 PM »

1. Bushie, do you know anything about meat? Customers at uppity stores expect a certain level of food knowledge. Don't fall back exclusively on the training the store will give you. Learn about meat on your own during the whole month you are planning on having absolutely nothing to do. For that matter, learn about other kinds of food. Both for your own practical use and because people are going to ask you questions every single day.
2. Good to see Papa has given up on the CADD pipe dream. No need continuing to throw good money after bad.
3. You can apply at any grocery. It doesn't have to be a brand new store that is having a hiring event. There must be dozens of groceries in Tulsa. There is no such thing as a supermarket that is not hiring.
4. Nice to see you make a good choice for a change. Way to go!

1.  I am definitely going to study all I can about meat in the next three weeks before I start.  I want to have a well rounded knowledge.  Like I told Mr. Morden, I am going to visit an existing supermarket of this chain in either Broken Arrow or Bixby and see what the layout of the store is like and get a general idea of how the  store is laid out since I've never been in one of their stores before.  I know it's slightly different than your typical grocery store, so I want to get a general idea.  It won't be the exact same store to store, but it will be close.

2. Dad still likes CAD, but he realizes they are probably only contract to contract jobs, not steady or permanent.

3.  I know I can apply at any grocery, but I figured this was the best way to get in the door with a mass hiring event of a brand new store.  I think it may make it easier to move up the ladder.

4.  Thank you so much!  I really do appreciate the forum's approval.  I have not read one ill post about this job.  It sure makes up for all the years of forum disdain.  The forum is only a minor part, though.  I'm glad to finally have a career-capable job.  It is not a wishy-washy call center and it is not a contract to contract CAD job.  I might be able to get a career going here and start a 401(k) just in case I do not go to Kenya to stay.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1149 on: February 26, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »

This being a new store, my hours will be all over the place for the first few months until we get into a groove.  They told me that I could go in as early as 0400, or stay as late as 2300, or even work overnights.  All 24 hours of every day are fair game to be on the clock.  It likely won't be the same day to day or week to week, either.  The store manager said after a few months, we'll likely be able to settle into a regular schedule, but not for a while.  So, I anticipate quite a bit of overtime potentially to start.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies