Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:03:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 221633 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: February 26, 2015, 10:40:45 PM »

So, I anticipate quite a bit of overtime potentially to start.

Make it rain, son

I am definitely going to study all I can about meat in the next three weeks before I start.  I want to have a well rounded knowledge. 

lol
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1151 on: February 26, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »

I'm amazed that somebody who's been to college can be as downright uncomfortable with pot smokers as Bushie apparently is, regardless of whether he personally approves of it or not.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1152 on: February 26, 2015, 10:52:16 PM »

I'm amazed that somebody who's been to college can be as downright uncomfortable with pot smokers as Bushie apparently is, regardless of whether he personally approves of it or not.

An Oklahoma college town literally inspired the immortalized lyric: "We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee." It's not that surprising down there.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1153 on: February 26, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »

An Oklahoma college town literally inspired the immortalized lyric: "We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee." It's not that surprising down there.

Yeah, and not even the flagship campus for Bushie, to boot.  My high school likely has more potheads than Northwestern Oklahoma or whatever.

I personally know a lot of stoners, and while they are nice people, I don't want to be like them...........they tend to be very lazy and apathetic.  But Bushie's fear is just crazy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1154 on: February 26, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »

I hope I'm not the only one thinking that, given the [redacted] opening date, this is a very elaborate April Fools Joke, and Bushie will find himself once again unemployed later that morning?

Mom and Dad approve so thats more icing on the cake.

No, see, you're working the meat counter, not the bakery.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1155 on: February 26, 2015, 11:50:12 PM »

Jeff, congrats and try to use this next four weeks wisely.  You can really get moving on some exercise and come in feeling healthy.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1156 on: February 26, 2015, 11:58:56 PM »

Jeff, I think you've made a good decision. I know it's not "living the dream," so to speak, but it has the potential to be stable employment that could truly develop into something. I think your dad gave you some sound advice -- do what you can to excel at this job (or simply to keep it) and don't get so distracted by possibilities that have proven futile in the past.

Others have given you good advice, too -- learn about cuts and types of meat, and start exercising a bit more to prepare your body for days on your feet. I'm making an assumption that they'll have a skilled butcher on staff ... honestly, it's a decent skill to have and one that you could always fall back on in life, as long as you learn it and master it. To paraphrase a certain someone: there is NOTHING WRONG with this type of work.

Here's one thing I actually envy about this position -- when you go in each day, you'll have clear tasks to complete, and you'll be able to train, learn and eventually excel at a skill that can stand on its own. You'll be good at the things you're expected to do. I haven't felt that for years ... I wake up every morning to complaint emails or calls from my staff, I get beat on every day from every angle, and I go home knowing that the endless stream of complaints will follow me to bed. Today, I've been working for 14 hours straight, simply to feel caught up. And as soon as I am caught up ... or as soon as I have a victory ... there are a dozen new challenges there to greet me, each one harder than the last. It's like one of those video games that you never win and then repeat on the same level -- you win and repeat and it's harder and harder and harder every time.

Jeff -- I live "the dream:" an office job where I can dress fancy and meet with customers and bring home a respectable amount of bacon. And I actually like it. But it sure as hell ain't for everyone.

Enjoy the opportunity that you have; the opportunity to earn stable employment and to learn a true skill that is useful and usable on its own.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1157 on: February 27, 2015, 12:53:57 AM »

Jeff, congrats and try to use this next four weeks wisely.  You can really get moving on some exercise and come in feeling healthy.

Thanks, Patrick.  I am going to do everything I can in the next three weeks to get myself ready.  Now that I will not have the pressures and anxiety associated with looking for a job, I can truly focus on this job.  In essence my job has already started as once I get back to Tulsa especially on Monday, I will be able to do everything I can to get ready in all phases mentally, physically, spiritually, and professionally.  I look forward to the challenge and the opportunity.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1158 on: February 27, 2015, 12:58:59 AM »

Jeff, I think you've made a good decision. I know it's not "living the dream," so to speak, but it has the potential to be stable employment that could truly develop into something. I think your dad gave you some sound advice -- do what you can to excel at this job (or simply to keep it) and don't get so distracted by possibilities that have proven futile in the past.

Others have given you good advice, too -- learn about cuts and types of meat, and start exercising a bit more to prepare your body for days on your feet. I'm making an assumption that they'll have a skilled butcher on staff ... honestly, it's a decent skill to have and one that you could always fall back on in life, as long as you learn it and master it. To paraphrase a certain someone: there is NOTHING WRONG with this type of work.

Here's one thing I actually envy about this position -- when you go in each day, you'll have clear tasks to complete, and you'll be able to train, learn and eventually excel at a skill that can stand on its own. You'll be good at the things you're expected to do. I haven't felt that for years ... I wake up every morning to complaint emails or calls from my staff, I get beat on every day from every angle, and I go home knowing that the endless stream of complaints will follow me to bed. Today, I've been working for 14 hours straight, simply to feel caught up. And as soon as I am caught up ... or as soon as I have a victory ... there are a dozen new challenges there to greet me, each one harder than the last. It's like one of those video games that you never win and then repeat on the same level -- you win and repeat and it's harder and harder and harder every time.

Jeff -- I live "the dream:" an office job where I can dress fancy and meet with customers and bring home a respectable amount of bacon. And I actually like it. But it sure as hell ain't for everyone.

Enjoy the opportunity that you have; the opportunity to earn stable employment and to learn a true skill that is useful and usable on its own.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  I am beyond blessed by this opportunity.  This has so much more potential, in my mind, than a CAD job that will likely only be temporary and definitely so much more than a call center of any kind.  I'll start at the bottom, but that's a good place to get in the door.  I can definitely sleep easier tonight knowing I've got something.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1159 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:23 AM »

This is great! What will you be doing in the meat department? Cutting meat? Hauling sides of cows?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1160 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:23 AM »

I might be able to get a career going here and start a 401(k) just in case I do not go to Kenya to stay.

You should start the 401(k) either way. Going to Kenya (hopefully) has no bearing on whether you will one day reach retirement age.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1161 on: February 27, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »

Congrats Bushie I hope it works out for you!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1162 on: February 27, 2015, 08:56:20 AM »

Thanks, Patrick.  I am going to do everything I can in the next three weeks to get myself ready.  Now that I will not have the pressures and anxiety associated with looking for a job, I can truly focus on this job.  In essence my job has already started as once I get back to Tulsa especially on Monday, I will be able to do everything I can to get ready in all phases mentally, physically, spiritually, and professionally.  I look forward to the challenge and the opportunity.

Bushie has to spiritually prepare for his meat gig.  This tickles my funny bone.

All the best, Bushie.  Good luck.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1163 on: February 27, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »

*hughughug*, Bushie!  Now go learn all that you can about different kinds of meat!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1164 on: February 27, 2015, 09:36:32 AM »

This is great! What will you be doing in the meat department? Cutting meat? Hauling sides of cows?

I will be a meat clerk.  I don't think that involves cutting the meat, although it could.  I looked at the job description on the websites late last night and I found basically a wide assortment of different activities that a meat clerk does or could do
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1165 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure chain stores do their butchering off site. He might have to trim some pieces of someone asks, but I'm guessing he'll mostly just be making sure all the meat in the display case is fresh.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: February 27, 2015, 09:54:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure chain stores do their butchering off site. He might have to trim some pieces of someone asks, but I'm guessing he'll mostly just be making sure all the meat in the display case is fresh.

That was the jist of the online job description.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1167 on: February 27, 2015, 10:27:13 AM »

And thus Atlas adds to it's already internet-legendary gay-ratio as even our biggest Jesus freak is handling meat these days.  RIP Straightlus : (
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1168 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »

I just talked to Dad and he brought up an interesting idea that I wanted to bring by the forum.

He recommends after I entertain the interview tomorrow to suspend the job search entirely and take it easy and focus exclusively on the grocery store because of the job security.  He knows I need to have some stability in my resume, so he recommends me just focus exclusively on the store starting this Saturday morning.  He said why risk a permanent job for a job that may be only temporary?  Sure, the pay is not great, but it is a stable job and a chance to move up the ladder being the first employees to christen a brand new store.  It will be hard work and I will be on my feet the entire shift, but that might help me lose weight.  Hard work will be good for me.  He said also it might help my headaches since I won't be glaring at a computer screen all day long.

He is very excited about this job.

What do you all think?

Of course he is.  The man's retirement account is skinnier by the day.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1169 on: February 27, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »

I just talked to Dad and he brought up an interesting idea that I wanted to bring by the forum.

He recommends after I entertain the interview tomorrow to suspend the job search entirely and take it easy and focus exclusively on the grocery store because of the job security.  He knows I need to have some stability in my resume, so he recommends me just focus exclusively on the store starting this Saturday morning.  He said why risk a permanent job for a job that may be only temporary?  Sure, the pay is not great, but it is a stable job and a chance to move up the ladder being the first employees to christen a brand new store.  It will be hard work and I will be on my feet the entire shift, but that might help me lose weight.  Hard work will be good for me.  He said also it might help my headaches since I won't be glaring at a computer screen all day long.

What do you all think?

Of course he is.  The man's retirement account is skinnier by the day.

lol, you're pretty accurate there, probably.  That's why I had to put in this stopgap.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1170 on: February 27, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »

He recommends after I entertain the interview tomorrow to suspend the job search entirely and take it easy and focus exclusively on the grocery store because of the job security.  He knows I need to have some stability in my resume, so he recommends me just focus exclusively on the store starting this Saturday morning.  He said why risk a permanent job for a job that may be only temporary?  Sure, the pay is not great, but it is a stable job and a chance to move up the ladder being the first employees to christen a brand new store.  It will be hard work and I will be on my feet the entire shift, but that might help me lose weight.  Hard work will be good for me.  He said also it might help my headaches since I won't be glaring at a computer screen all day long.

What do you all think?

Of course he is.  The man's retirement account is skinnier by the day.

lol

What an appropriate response.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1171 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »

I think they changed the city from OK to Ann Arbor to protect the innocent.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1172 on: February 27, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »

I am home from the interview and just like I thought, it is Civil CAD.  So, I am not going to pursue it any further.  I politely told him "thanks, but no thanks."  Now, as of Friday, February 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm (an hour ago) I have officially put all my eggs into this grocery store basket (no pun intended).  I am going to give it my all.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1173 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »

Moving the conversation from the Over/Under thread to here:

I am aware of the physical challenges this job presents.  At the same time I am excited about the chance to get some legitimate exercise as a part of my work.  I looked at a job description last night for the Owasso store Meat Clerk and it said I could walk up to 2 miles in an 8 hour day.  I will be very sore.  I am very aware my back and my feet will be killing me by day's end, but at the same time I am looking forward to possibly losing weight from the constant standing up and walking.  Over time, my back and feet won't hurt as bad as I get used to it.  I don't see standing and walking as unreachable challenges, I see them as a potential complete lifestyle overhaul.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1174 on: February 27, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »

Yeah, and not even the flagship campus for Bushie, to boot.  My high school likely has more potheads than Northwestern Oklahoma or whatever.

I personally know a lot of stoners, and while they are nice people, I don't want to be like them...........they tend to be very lazy and apathetic.  But Bushie's fear is just crazy.

There's actually a negative correlation between income/education and using marijuana (in the past, there was a positive correlation). The old stereotype of stoner liberal students at a flagship or prestigious university is outdated. Younger blue collar workers, community college students and high schoolers are far more likely to smoke weed on a regular basis than students at a liberal arts college, a flagship public university or an ivy league school.

Data point: I smoked marijuana almost every day when I was in high school. In college, I smoked quite a bit but I essentially stopped later on.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies