Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:22:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 221769 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:53 PM »

You act like this job will solve all of your weight problems, Bushie. Tongue

It won't solve all of it, but it will definitely help.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1201 on: February 28, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »

What if Bushie ends up as a grocery store manager making 80,000 dollars a year?

That'd be nice.  That's something to set my sights on, but first I must take care of the here and now.  GSM is my goal and I am going to start the path toward that.  I must put in the time faithfully day in and day out if I ever hope to move up the ladder.

Jeffy, congrats on the new job! Do us all a favor though and stop thinking about making a damn career out of everything. You did this at sprint, dell, Xerox, and cad(d) jobs, and look where they ended up. Just take this opportunity for what it is, and don't act like this job is beneath you. You'll never make it higher if you think like that. Take this position for what it is, and just do your job. We want you to succeed, but you have to remain realistic.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1202 on: February 28, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »

What if Bushie ends up as a grocery store manager making 80,000 dollars a year?

That'd be nice.  That's something to set my sights on, but first I must take care of the here and now.  GSM is my goal and I am going to start the path toward that.  I must put in the time faithfully day in and day out if I ever hope to move up the ladder.

Jeffy, congrats on the new job! Do us all a favor though and stop thinking about making a damn career out of everything. You did this at sprint, dell, Xerox, and cad(d) jobs, and look where they ended up. Just take this opportunity for what it is, and don't act like this job is beneath you. You'll never make it higher if you think like that. Take this position for what it is, and just do your job. We want you to succeed, but you have to remain realistic.
That was kind of my fault, I was just thinking about the possibility.

I don't there's anything wrong with having a goal in mind, just as long as one doesn't overlook and short-circuit what they have to do to reach said goal.  I have a goal to get into management, but that doesn't mean I'm going to neglect my daily duties as a meat clerk.  Like I said in my last post, if I neglect what I have to do now then I will never reach my goals.  So, management is my goal.  However, I want to just get in there and see what working in a natural foods grocery store is like.  I want to experience all the here and now has to offer while working with a purpose and a why.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1203 on: February 28, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »

Today, since I'm snowed in, I'm going to watch a lot of college hoops.  While I watch the college hoops, I am going to look deeper into two or three of the cuts of meat that I read about last night.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1204 on: February 28, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »

Instead of simply reading about different cuts of meat, why not try to cook and eat some of them? You would learn about them in a completely different way, you would learn about cooking, and you would be less tempted to gorge on super duper refined carbs. Skip the potatoes, rice, and corn with your meat. Try broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans (not canned), and so on. People are going to seek out your advice about what sorts of food go well with cuts of meats. You're going to be at an uppity grocery. People who shop at uppity groceries usually eat fresh produce.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1205 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »

Yeah. Bushie generally most questions  people ask about cuts of meat is best way to prepare it. "Veal chops are on sale? How do I cook those?"

At the very least watch some cooking shows if not making things yourself.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1206 on: February 28, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »

Yeah. Bushie generally most questions  people ask about cuts of meat is best way to prepare it. "Veal chops are on sale? How do I cook those?"

Does said cooking show air at the same time as West Central Appalachian State School Of Dentistry vs. Northeastern Delaware Institute Of Technology Div. IV college basketball on ESPN5 (Channel G64)?  
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1207 on: February 28, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »

These threads are hands down some of the strangest things I have ever seen
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1208 on: February 28, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »

it is too bad that you are basically starting a week before opening.

the grocery store i work at opened on oct. 26.  i began working/training on july 7th (at another location).

all employees went through a long training period.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1209 on: February 28, 2015, 05:44:58 PM »

Well, you can't criticize him for that. I do hope he learns about meat and how to cook it. Most people will ask things like that and not random technicalities of cuts of meat.
Panda Express

« Reply #1210 on: February 28, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »

Bushie, why don't you post your research and findings about meat here? I don't know much about this topic so it could be interesting to learn and writing about it is a good way to have it sink in.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1211 on: February 28, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »

Yeah. Bushie generally most questions  people ask about cuts of meat is best way to prepare it. "Veal chops are on sale? How do I cook those?"

I need to find a way to cook the meat without a grill.  It seems like it would take too long to put in the oven and probably not taste as good and juicy as if I were to slap it on the grill.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1212 on: February 28, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »

it is too bad that you are basically starting a week before opening.

the grocery store i work at opened on oct. 26.  i began working/training on july 7th (at another location).

all employees went through a long training period.

Personally, I think we should start on March 16 instead of 23.  Of course, I've never worked at a grocery store and don't know anything, so I'll defer to those who have.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1213 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »

Well, you can't criticize him for that. I do hope he learns about meat and how to cook it. Most people will ask things like that and not random technicalities of cuts of meat.

Again, being in an apartment and not owning a grill makes it rather difficult to properly cook meat.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1214 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:18 PM »

You know there are tons of ways to cook meat aside from grilling? It just depends what cut. You wouldn't want to grill a tough cut like an eye of round or a chuck roast.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1215 on: February 28, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »

I need to find a way to cook the meat without a grill.  It seems like it would take too long to put in the oven and probably not taste as good and juicy as if I were to slap it on the grill.

Most restaurants don't have grills and get by cooking indoors.

YouTube is your friend here, Bushie. Here's some good ones:

How to cook steak in a pan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtIiR7DBAqY

How to cook chicken breast in a pan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzczmi1mPTs

How to make quick meatballs in oven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjmdrMA2t8

How to roast a whole chicken in oven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4z_N0GjqCY

How to cook duck breast in a pan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAfmfCArUgA

How to slow cook a beef brisket in oven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh48wM6bPWQ

How to make thanksgiving turkey in oven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREWEOxVKD8

etc
etc
etc

These are all clips from Gordon Ramsay's Cookery Course, Good Eats with Alton Brown, and the Food Wishes youtube channel. They're my favorite sources but I'm sure there are other good ones.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1216 on: February 28, 2015, 07:43:50 PM »

And most steakhouses don't even grill their steaks. They broil them at a very high temperature.

So yeah, there is plenty to learn. If you need any help, feel free to ask. Cooking is one of my passions.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1217 on: February 28, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »

Thanks, guys, I will check the links you gave me out.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1218 on: February 28, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »

Again, being in an apartment and not owning a grill makes it rather difficult to properly cook meat.

Oh my god, Bushie

Lesson number one: Most meat is not cooked on a grill.

You really should spend the next couple of weeks buying different type of meat and trying to cook them. You will not have your job long if you don't. This isn't an ordinary supermarket you're going to be working at.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1219 on: February 28, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »

Oh my god, Bushie

Lesson number one: Most meat is not cooked on a grill.

You really should spend the next couple of weeks buying different type of meat and trying to cook them. You will not have your job long if you don't. This isn't an ordinary supermarket you're going to be working at.

I will try to cook a few different types of meat over the next two to three weeks.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1220 on: February 28, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »

Oh Bushie. You have plenty of time! Don't just plan to cook. Do it. This will be your job and if you don't know anything about what you're doing you won't last long.

I'm rooting for you so don't screw it up!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1221 on: February 28, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »

Oh Bushie. You have plenty of time! Don't just plan to cook. Do it. This will be your job and if you don't know anything about what you're doing you won't last long.

I'm rooting for you so don't screw it up!

I didn't mean that I would stop after two to three weeks.  I definitely want to make this cooking meat a hobby instead of a one hit wonder.  You're right, it will definitely help me in my job.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'll be back in Tulsa either Monday evening or Tuesday morning, so I can go to an existing store to browse it and get a cut of meat and see what I can do to cook it.  When I cook meat, I think it will be better if I can get meat from a store like where I will be working at so I can have a better idea on how to cook THEIR products.  The meat will likely be the same as it would be in Walmart or a regular supermarket, but the animals will probably be mostly grass-fed.  That shouldn't change the types of meat they have, though, but still.

Could someone who has cooked meat from a natural foods store tell me if they have the same meats as a regular supermarket?  It's an honest question.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1222 on: February 28, 2015, 08:22:35 PM »

Yes, they sell the same cuts as a Walmart or wherever else, but they're usually USDA prime, select or angus beef. Or local meat that's grass fed. But almost all places sell the same cuts. It doesn't look much different than normal meat.

I will say you have a lot more to learn than I thought.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1223 on: February 28, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »

Yes, they sell the same cuts as a Walmart or wherever else, but they're usually USDA prime, select or angus beef. Or local meat that's grass fed. But almost all places sell the same cuts. It doesn't look much different than normal meat.

I will say you have a lot more to learn than I thought.

That's what I thought.

Hey, what can I say, I'm a complete newbie at this...  I think when I start cooking their products, I am going to start with something simple like browning the ground beef.  I'll do both the 93/7 lean meat which is good for like spaghetti, tacos, or sloppy joes (stuff you add seasoning or sauce to) and the 85/15 which is what we like for making hamburger patties.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1224 on: February 28, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »

Yes. Browning ground meat is a start. Cooking any meat isn't that difficult. Salt and pepper is really all you need on a good steak like a ribeye. Maybe you can try that after you brown some hamburger.

Will you also be selling pork, lamb, and chicken? Or just red meat?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies