Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:14:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 221587 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »

Yes. Browning ground meat is a start. Cooking any meat isn't that difficult. Salt and pepper is really all you need on a good steak like a ribeye. Maybe you can try that after you brown some hamburger.

Will you also be selling pork, lamb, and chicken? Or just red meat?

I imagine I'll be selling all meat.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1226 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »

At the interview, did they ask you if you knew anything about meat (or any other types of food)? You don't need to be a world famous chef to work at a supermarket meat counter, but it may be good to know how to brown some ground beef. Jesus tapdancing Christ, it's not that Inksing difficult. Are you going to be responisible for seafood as well?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1227 on: February 28, 2015, 08:43:45 PM »

At the interview, did they ask you if you knew anything about meat (or any other types of food)? You don't need to be a world famous chef to work at a supermarket meat counter, but it may be good to know how to brown some ground beef. Jesus tapdancing Christ, it's not that Inksing difficult. Are you going to be responisible for seafood as well?

Yes, they asked me and are well aware that I don't know jack about meat.  Although I did brown some ground beef just this evening en route to a sloppy jo dinner.  Yes, I cooked it.  Not Mom, not Dad, not Grandma.  I did it!!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1228 on: February 28, 2015, 08:55:48 PM »

woohoo sloppy joes
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1229 on: February 28, 2015, 09:13:26 PM »

It's not a glamorous meal, but it is something I actually cooked.  About 1545, we were talking about supper and we had three options - Sloppy Joes, Spaghetti, or Taquitos.  We wanted to use the hamburger meat so that eliminated taquitos, then dad mentioned why not use the hamburger buns at the same time so they don't go to waste.  So, we decided on sloppy joes and then Mom said "this is a meal you can cook."  I happily agreed and then about 5 minutes later I got started browning the meat, then adding in the Manwich sauce and letting it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1230 on: February 28, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »

You may also want to develop at least a superficial familiarity with how wines pair with meat, poultry and fish. I know that at the HEB supermarkets in more well-to-do neighborhoods around here, they often try to cross-promote their products by having their meats section suggest wines to go with different products, and vice versa. You may think alcohol is the Devil's liquid but most people do not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1231 on: February 28, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »

Ignore the above post. A strong red goes well with anything.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1232 on: February 28, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »

I'm having a real hard time understanding the advice for Jeff to go buy a bunch of meat and start cooking it himself. Not only is meat expensive (particularly if you're just going to be experimenting with it -- and Jeff can't afford that), but the guy isn't going to turn into Bobby Flay in the next few weeks ... not does he need to for success at the job he's taking.

Maybe actually cooking different meats is a skill Jeff can gain over time. As far as being necessary for job preparation ... I'm not seeing it.

Jeff, there has been some good advice, however, in terms learning beyond just cuts of meat. If customers happen to ask questions, you can study and simply know the answers to:

• What's the best way to prepare this cut of meat? How about cooking it?
  • What sorts of sides go best with this meat?
  • What kind of wine pairs well with this meat?

That kind of advice is straightforward to memorize and allows you to engage with the customer, particularly if you can guide their choices depending on the occasion.

This could also be a way to up your game at work a bit ... if you're having a special on, say, lamb, you could recommend that signage also point to sides and wines that pair well with that.

Agreed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1233 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2015, 10:12:47 PM by Lame Duck Obama »

I'm having a real hard time understanding the advice for Jeff to go buy a bunch of meat and start cooking it himself. Not only is meat expensive (particularly if you're just going to be experimenting with it -- and Jeff can't afford that), but the guy isn't going to turn into Bobby Flay in the next few weeks ... not does he need to for success at the job he's taking.

Maybe actually cooking different meats is a skill Jeff can gain over time. As far as being necessary for job preparation ... I'm not seeing it.

Jeff, there has been some good advice, however, in terms learning beyond just cuts of meat. If customers happen to ask questions, you can study and simply know the answers to:

What's the best way to prepare this cut of meat? How about cooking it?
What sorts of sides go best with this meat?
What kind of wine pairs well with this meat?

That kind of advice is straightforward to memorize and allows you to engage with the customer, particularly if you can guide their choices depending on the occasion.

This could also be a way to up your game at work a bit ... if you're having a special on, say, lamb, you could recommend that signage also point to sides and wines that pair well with that.

Agreed.

The bolded is what I was going to do in my research.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1234 on: February 28, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »

Does Oklahoma allow the sale of liquor in grocery stores?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1235 on: February 28, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »

Yes, all Walmarts have a beer cooler and liquor aisle.  I know this grocery store does have a beer and wine section.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1236 on: February 28, 2015, 10:19:10 PM »

Best way to prepare a cut of meat is where I was pretty much going with the cooking idea, JMann.

We don't want Bushie saying he can't give any advice on a pot roast because he doesn't have a grill at home. Lips Sealed
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1237 on: February 28, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »

Yes, all Walmarts have a beer cooler and liquor aisle.  I know this grocery store does have a beer and wine section.

Good for Oklahoma ... Kansas is such a backwards state in many respects, and still only allows 3.2% beer to be sold in grocery stores. No wine and no liquor. I didn't know if the same was true in Oklahoma.

Best way to prepare a cut of meat is where I was pretty much going with the cooking idea, JMann.

We don't want Bushie saying he can't give any advice on a pot roast because he doesn't have a grill at home. Lips Sealed

I understand where everyone's going with it ... it's just not useful or practical. Nor would it be easy on Papa Bushie's wallet. He can learn the responses without being an ace in the kitchen.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1238 on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »

I definitely need to know how best to prepare a cut of meat.  I can still do occasional cooking on my own, especially on my days off when I have more time.  I can brown hamburger meat, but I'm sure nearly everybody else does as well.  It's not rocket science.  It's those bigger cuts that I need to brush up on.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1239 on: February 28, 2015, 10:28:41 PM »

Wikipedia and Bushie give conflicting info about Oklahoma's alcohol laws.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Oklahoma
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1240 on: February 28, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »

Oklahoma is a very conservative state in many respects, but we have gotten a little more liberal as time goes on.  We're probably not any less Republican, but we are not as staunchly conservative.  Sally Kern, Jim Inhofe, and their ilk are finding themselves increasingly in the minority of the majority party.  We have numerous marijuana legalization efforts, both medicinal and recreational, all across the state.  The State Capitol even held a "Muslim Day" either Thursday or Friday where Oklahoma Muslims made their pleas for normality heard.  The State leaders are planning to make it an annual event.  There are several other more liberal efforts around the State.  Gay marriage is not only legal, but also accepted by the public more and more.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1241 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »

I definitely need to know how best to prepare a cut of meat.  I can still do occasional cooking on my own, especially on my days off when I have more time.  I can brown hamburger meat, but I'm sure nearly everybody else does as well.  It's not rocket science.  It's those bigger cuts that I need to brush up on.

I'm just recommending to read up on it first before turning your kitchen into Mr. Wizard's World. Not only does it pay off to have great cookware and utensils before you're cooking regularly, it's very frustrating when your own inexperience ruins a $20 cut of meat.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1242 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »

I'm just recommending to read up on it first before turning your kitchen into Mr. Wizard's World. Not only does it pay off to have great cookware and utensils before you're cooking regularly, it's very frustrating when your own inexperience ruins a $20 cut of meat.

That's a good recommendation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1243 on: February 28, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »

Oklahoma seems pretty darned reasonable compared to our liquor laws in Ontario.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1244 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:48 PM »

That's surprising considering Ontario is considerably more liberal than Oklahoma.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1245 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »

Have you checked out the wikipedia link I gave? You can't even buy ordinary beer in Oklahoma groceries. They are only allowed to sell special 3.2% stuff.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1246 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:30 PM »

You can't buy beer at all in grocery stores here.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1247 on: February 28, 2015, 11:09:37 PM »

Have you checked out the wikipedia link I gave? You can't even buy ordinary beer in Oklahoma groceries. They are only allowed to sell special 3.2% stuff.

I don't look that close and don't know the difference in percentages, but I have seen some Dos Equis, Guinness, Smirnoff, Boston Lager, Heineken, and other beers that are not your run of the mill Bud, Bud Light, Miller, or Miller Lite.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1248 on: March 01, 2015, 01:03:26 AM »

Happy March 2015 Updaters!
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #1249 on: March 01, 2015, 01:25:58 AM »

Yeah Bushie, as someone who has worked in a grocery store now for over 6 months, I want to say congrats on the new job! I work meat, seafood, and the front end (depending on the day), and while they all have their ups and downs, I can say that I definitely enjoy the job overall, and it is a fantastic opportunity. I may or may not be able to help if you have questions about the meat. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies