Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:03:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules." (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 223089 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:12:40 AM »

Can anyone think of another series that had a season comparable to last? It dragged a lot through most of the season and was full of filler episodes and recycled plotlines...but had one hell of a conclusion.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:48:14 AM »

Can anyone think of another series that had a season comparable to last? It dragged a lot through most of the season and was full of filler episodes and recycled plotlines...but had one hell of a conclusion.

Utah story arc/season(s) of Update itself are comparable.

The Utah arc wasn't really the same though. It was just really boring and the plot never really went anywhere for the most part. Season 2 of The Walking Dead I guess is kind of comparable to it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:51:45 AM »

Utah story arc/season(s) of Update itself are comparable.

Yes. 85% of that season focused on Bushie walking in place in his apartment, eating green beans from a can and learning to drive in snow, but the final few days were a blast with the hobo orgie ravaging Bushie's garage and the eventual return to Oklahoma in order to drive by every day to see if the windows weren't covered in cum.

Most of Utah was bottle episodes, but unlike many famous ones, they lacked interesting writing or performances to make up for it. Utah also made it pretty clear that Update needs its Oklahoma setting or it doesn't work. But the writers were able to come up with an exciting way to kill off that arc and neatly use the reset button to get the point where it might as well have never happened.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:18:17 PM »

Counterpoint: Jerry Sandusky
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »

If you can prove in your cover letter and interview that you know as much about CAD as someone with 2 years experience, you'll be able to land the job. However,  we all know you probably know less about CAD than the average person with 5 months experience

Bushie probably knows less about CAD than the average student in Russ Powers' current class. He basically phoned it in there, got one job he got fired from for slacking and putting no effort, and in his last job did barely any work. And he never practices at home. If you gave me a free week, some CAD software and a textbook/how-to guide, I could probably be at least equal to Bushie in CAD skills at the end of that week.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »

Taxis are quite common in Minneapolis, although we're not as sprawly as Memphis or OKC.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »

What IT qualifications do you have? that's the real reason I'm calling it bogus.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »

What does a call center look like?  Is it endless rows of desks or is it more like Workaholics?  Bushie should just drop the Christian lifestyle nonsense and find some recent college grads to room with and spend his days smoking/drinking/partying.  Yea... That's a lot to ask, but I think he could wind up being like Animal House's Flounder.

"We're goin' to go to a stripping club!?  Oh boy!  Oh booooooooy!"

Depends on the call center really. Obviously all have cubicle farms, but what goes wildly varies. I once worked at one where the supervisors and management liked to have battles with Nerf guns in the aisles on the floor.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »

You know what's funny is Bushie even trying to get into the IT path now. Even if Bushie got some IT certification it'd obviously go the same route as CADD, he'd phone it in during class, wouldn't have good skills, and then pick up an entry level job or two only to fall flat on his face during the actual work. Be besides that, IT is like the polar opposite of the type of job Bushie wants. Seeing as how he's a senior citizen in a 32 year old's man body, Bushie obviously wants to work in a "Mad Men" style environment, where he wears a suit and tie every day in a clean professional office. But outside of law firms and some very high level management places (and hell even then it's not true for some of the biggest corporations, I guarantee you there aren't many ties in Apple or Google board meetings), and he quit the easiest "job" he ever had because some of his co-workers smoked pot.

Well here's the facts: There are plenty of high level IT workers who wear band shirts and sports jerseys with torn jeans to work and make six figures. And if you want to avoid people getting high, that is definitely NOT your field either, it's more of a question of if people are at least waiting until they get home to get high or are secretly doing it at work as well. Amusingly I once read about some company that intentionally put in a loophole to the drug testing policy so they would NOT have to drug test their IT staff.

When you think about it, Bushie actually somehow manging to land a $40-$50k/year job and then quitting because he finds out his manager is a pothead would be the most Update thing ever...except it'd first have to involve Bushie landing a $40-$50k/year job.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »

Bushie, why are you wary of people who smoke pot?  It's demonstrably less harmful than even caffeine in most cases.  Does the Bible say one word about pot?  And if it does not, aren't any "rules" you are getting about pot coming directly from fellow fallible sinners like yourself?

As King once pointed out, the only parts of the Bible one could read as condemning marijuana use would be the stuff about your body being a temple, and LOL if Bushie wants to seriously wants to make that argument.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »

You are morbidly obese, and despite all your efforts your weight has only gone UP in recent years.
You are a 32 year old man still dependent on his parents.
You haven't held a job in the last four years you were not fired from, and you've only held one job close to a year.
You had to bail on your goal of going to Kenya (not that that was a bad decision), and have reinstated it, but are no closer to it than you were three years ago when you started all of this goal.

All evidence points otherwise.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »

This is a great example of why we still need jmfcst around, because he went to town on Bushie whenever Bushie used this type of argument and way of thinking, and quite effectively too.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »

Why Timothy McVeigh? He was an agnostic who never recanted before his execution.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »

Hitler hated Christianity and is quoted as once calling it a "Jew religion" though ironically he seemed to have respect for Islam which is closer to Judaism in observance and practice.

Kony and the LRA are syncretic with lots of animist beliefs and are not orthodox Christian (note capitalization) by any means.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »

Hmmmm? Bushie never said he hates Catholics, quite the opposite in fact:

things ive learned over the last few pages:

1. only southern baptists go to heaven

2.  bushie still spends money for no good reason.

Nowhere have I ever said or implied that only Southern Baptists go to heaven.  The only requirement to go to heaven is that one admits to God they're a sinner, believes that Jesus died on the cross for their sin, and ask Him to come into their hearts and save them.  That's it.  Pure and simple.  Anybody can do that, not just Southern Baptists.  I have many friends who are Methodist, Nazarene, Catholic, and other denominations, and the entry requirement into heaven is the same across the board.

Couple other posts too but that's the first one I found.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »

Damn. I'm thankful it's up to 10F here now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2015, 05:25:47 PM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

Temp work is not necessarily worse than full time work and can be a lot better than retail, but only in very specific cases. For example a friend of mine is an architect and works contract to contract, the contracts being as short as a month and almost never over 3 months. So he's constantly interviewing and looking for new work. However since the contracts for that type of work tend to pay the equivalent of $70-80k a year, he's never hurting for money even when between contracts, as long as he doesn't blow all his money from the last one. There's a lot of other people who work similarly, freelance writers, and programmers and IT professionals for hire being the best examples.

But in Bushie's case the equivalent would be some CADD professional doing high level work on a per contract basis. The problem with this is:

1-Bushie can't even hold an entry level CADD job.
2-Bushie probably would find some way to blow all his money even if he made the equivalent of $70k/year for 3 months before he got the next position.

Also I'd imagine working in such a way requires great references from previous work, which Bushie clearly would not get.

Also I should note that because of the nature of the work the guy in question often works at least 50 hours and a week and sometimes as high as 60 during contracts, but also often gets a 1-2 week breather time between contracts. That would not work with Bushie who has trouble working even 40 hours two weeks in a row.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »

Bushie why are you still defying God's call to go to Africa? It's been 2 years since this powerful declaration from the Lord and you still haven't moved to Kenya

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=143929.msg3281119#msg3281119

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He mentioned 2 years ago he has work left for you in Oklahoma, but it's clear by the lack of job offers that he no longer has work for you in Oklahoma. Time to pack up and head out to the African continent.

One of my favorite jmfcst moments in Update was when he pointed out that this is nothing but a string of Bible quotations paraphrased with statements specific to the situation between them. Say what you will about jmfcst, but he was in fact a voice of reason in regards to Update.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:46:31 PM »

Temp work is not necessarily worse than full time work and can be a lot better than retail, but only in very specific cases. For example a friend of mine is an architect and works contract to contract, the contracts being as short as a month and almost never over 3 months. So he's constantly interviewing and looking for new work. However since the contracts for that type of work tend to pay the equivalent of $70-80k a year, he's never hurting for money even when between contracts, as long as he doesn't blow all his money from the last one. There's a lot of other people who work similarly, freelance writers, and programmers and IT professionals for hire being the best examples.

But in Bushie's case the equivalent would be some CADD professional doing high level work on a per contract basis. The problem with this is:

1-Bushie can't even hold an entry level CADD job.
2-Bushie probably would find some way to blow all his money even if he made the equivalent of $70k/year for 3 months before he got the next position.

Also I'd imagine working in such a way requires great references from previous work, which Bushie clearly would not get.

Also I should note that because of the nature of the work the guy in question often works at least 50 hours and a week and sometimes as high as 60 during contracts, but also often gets a 1-2 week breather time between contracts. That would not work with Bushie who has trouble working even 40 hours two weeks in a row.

So, you're saying that I'm inferior to your friend?

No, I don't think of people as being superior/inferior. This would actually be a pretty unChristian way of thinking about things obviously.

But what you need is hard facts. The facts I listed in that post are exactly why you can't hold down a job, and causing you all this trouble. It'd be one thing if you learned from your mistakes, but you never do. Look at how much effort it took to get you out of a new obvious scam job. So without this type of bluntness, nothing is going to get accomplished.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »

Crime stats says Tulsa is 5th in the nation rapes, with 79.2 per 100k. Minneapolis is #1 with 103 per 100k.

Maybe BRTD would like Tulsa after all.

It's well known that rape rates have just as much to do with the rate of how they are reported as the rate at which they occur, and that different definitions mean that comparing between cities in different states is often apples to oranges. Minneapolis also has one of the largest populations of university students of any major city. Still a rather disturbing statistic though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:03 PM »

Alexis Tspiras with the current state of Greece has as much chance of dominating the world as Bushie does of being the next President.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »

Talk about clickbait. Bushie has clearly figured out that cribbing content from Irvine Baxter's latest show inevitably attracts a high volume of replies.

His show this afternoon did inspire me to listen to it and do a little research, but I did read the selected Scriptures and pulled up Tsipris's Wikipedia page.

That's some serious in depth research there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 12:19:01 AM »

Bushie, are you aware of how far out of the mainstream your beliefs are on Revelation/End Times/etc.?

Like I realize they're pretty standard for your church, but do you know that most scholarly analysis believes Revelation refers to the ancient persecution of Christians by the Roman Empire (after all 666 would have been an easily-recognizable Roman numberplay reference to Nero), and not to future events/the end of the world? And all that "Antichrist" stuff isn't even in Revelation...

Whether it's in the mainstream or not is irrelevant.  Also, Revelation is not the only prophecy book.  The book of Daniel in the Old Testament chapters 7-12 are also vivid prophecy chapters.

I disagree completely. What makes your few people right and the majority of historians and scholars wrong? And don't give me the "I believe what I believe and won't consider changing" line. God gave you a brain and critical thinking skills. When you blindly and rotely believe something outside of the mainstream, you should at least be open to reading what the experts (a good sampling of them, not just a cherry-picked few) have to say.

I'm not trying to single you out -- trust me, I live in the most Baptist state in the country so I've known lots of people who honestly believe that fringe viewpoint about Revelation/Antichrist/End Times/etc. and have no idea that it's just not supported by actual evidence. If you could come to that same conclusion after examining the actual scholarly discourse on the subject, it would bleed positively into your life. You might worry a little more about your health when you realize that nothing in the Bible suggests that the world will end in the next 10 years. And you wouldn't waste your time worrying about whether the prime minister of Greece (!) is an evil madman taking over the world with Satan's help.

Seriously? I go to an evangelical church and have NEVER heard anyone talk about this end times crap. It must be more of a Southern thing. But I always assumed it was pretty fringe even amongst conservative Christians.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:28 AM »

The most amusing thing about this is the Southern Baptist Convention probably considers Irvin Baxter a godless herectic due to his views on the Trinity.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »

So Bushie believes that Pope Francis, Alexis Tsipras and ISIS are all going to align and start a war.

Sometimes "LOL" is just the only appropriate response.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies