Have you ever been offered a scam job?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever been offered a scam job?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you ever been offered a scam job?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Have you ever been offered a scam job?  (Read 2493 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »

Yes, in college I got hooked on the Cutco knives selling thing and got offered a job after some seminar thing. I turned it down though after doing a little more research.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 11:28:48 AM by HockeyDude »

Yes, the summer before I started law school I had moved out of the house I was renting with some friends and spent a few months at my dad's house.  I needed something temporary, and I found an ad on Craigslist offering training and $18/hr salary.  I knew it was fishy, but knowing it wouldn't be more than a 2 month thing, I decided to check them out and accepted a position that I knew would immediately be offered.  After a couple of days, I realized it was little more than a lead generation scheme run by the same guy who ran Cutco's marketing.    They were basically marketing for a shady law firm that specialized in scamming people by trying to get ridiculous, inflated homeowner's insurance claims.  The $18/hr was only for each appointment you set up (which of course you had to provide your own transportation) and they operated like an MLM, wanting you to go to friends and family first.  I just stopped showing up after a day or two, and when they called I just said "you are running a scam, leave me alone".  

A blogger in suburban Philly personally exposed them.  I only found his blog after I quit.  I made some posts there to make sure his blog would be the first thing that popped up when you Googled the "company's" name.  

http://bobbarkersnews.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-spot-scam-job-i-have-recently.html

EDIT: And if you click on the link you'll notice the company rep spamming the comment section to defend this racket.  Funny thing is, I know EXACTLY who this person is.  He was like the 2nd person down on the pyramid, and he was so skeevy that he makes Naso look like a charmer.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »

No.

Job History -

16-18 Grocery Store
18+ while in college - pizza delivery and cook.
The year after college - cook from 6AM to 2pm then DJ from 9PM to 2AM - Holiday Inn.
Insurance Agent - 1981 to present
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »

I sold Cutco knives the summer before college. In their defense, they are very good knives and I still use the free demo set they gave me.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »

Does spam count? I've never accepted a scam job though.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »

I sold Cutco knives the summer before college. In their defense, they are very good knives and I still use the free demo set they gave me.

Yea, my dad has a set.  They are a nice product, but the method they use to market and sell them is impossibly outdated and scummy.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »

Does this mean a job scamming customers, or a job where the employees are themselves being scammed?

(The answer is no in either case, but I was a bit unclear what you guys were talking about).
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »

Yes, in college I got hooked on the Cutco knives selling thing and got offered a job after some seminar thing. I turned it down though after doing a little more research.

I too was approached by Vector Marketing, and after reading about it online and from a friend, turned it down. Vector is really sketch. Besides, I already had (and still have) a job.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »

yes, offered but wise enough not to accept.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »

I once received an interview at one, but I read about the company online and cancelled the interview.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »

Yeah, a pyramid scheme to sell some kind of energy drink. I didn't take it though (normal).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:01:03 PM »

I sold Cutco knives the summer before college just after freshman year. In their defense, they are very good knives and I still use the free demo set they gave me.

This...though I did manage to get some extra handy little extra tools as well.

I did enjoy that I didn't have a clock to punch, and I actually did make a lotta good money off it before heading back for Sophomore year.

But I vowed never to do that kind of thing again.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »

A co-worker tried to rope me into Primerica, haha.

Wait, didn't Bushie try to get involved in that?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2015, 05:26:31 PM by memphis »

A co-worker tried to rope me into Primerica, haha.

Wait, didn't Bushie try to get involved in that?
That's the life insurance, right? In a flashback episode, he quit his real job with his dad at Northrupp Grunman to move to Dallas and sell shady insurance. It took him about a dozen tries to pass the insurance exam, at $75 or so per trial. Great success!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »

Sort of.  When I was in college, some joke signed me up for an interview with one of those outfits that hired college students to sell magazine subscriptions door-to-door during the summer.  I didn't anything better to do at the time the interview was scheduled, so I showed up both for the laugh and a bit of experience at doing interviews.  They must have twigged I wasn't either desperate or gullible enough to be a good fit for what they wanted, as they never called me back afterward.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 10:07:27 PM »

Yeah, a pyramid scheme to sell some kind of energy drink. I didn't take it though (normal).
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »

When I was young, I had a string of legitimate jobs.  I delivered newspapers, worked at bowling alleys, loaded trucks, taught computer programming camps for grade-school and high school students and taught people German.  But, almost twenty years ago, I began teaching philosophy classes at university, and it's been a big, enduring scam ever since.  Governor Walker told me so.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 01:42:27 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2015, 01:44:20 AM by Former Moderate »

When I was working in politics, there was a really unusual Republican operative that I dealt with on a regular basis. He liked to pretend he was much wealthier than he really was. He drove a beat up 15-year-old Jaguar, but bragged about it like it was a brand new car. The money was really rolling in, he liked to say!

Dude was shady, but he was one of our volunteers. And we didn't have many volunteers.

Needless to say, our campaign didn't wind up winning. At the incredibly depressing Election Night Party, he came up to me to tell me how terrible it was that our candidate didn't win. But he was very impressed with my work, he said. So impressed that he wanted to offer me a business opportunity.

See, you sell soap, he explained. Laundry detergent. It's some kind of special soap though. It's really good, so much better than the crap you buy in the grocery store. You order it online, and it gets delivered directly to your house.

But here's the thing: You don't actually have to sell the soap yourself. That's not how you make the real money. No, instead, you find someone else to sell the soap. Then you get a cut of their sales. The guy recruiting me would also get a cut. Everybody wins! (Especially whoever gets that sweet-ass soap.)

I thanked him for the opportunity, and promised I'd think about it.

He told me that the soap was good. He knew, because he had a garage full of it.

Soap. Really.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 11:09:21 AM »

Like most college age students, I got hit up by Cutco and Vector. I said ghanks, but no thanks.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies