manning to get access to hormone replacement therapy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  manning to get access to hormone replacement therapy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: manning to get access to hormone replacement therapy  (Read 5273 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« on: February 13, 2015, 05:39:09 AM »
« edited: February 18, 2015, 05:58:06 PM by evergreen »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »

Manning deserves the death penalty, but in principle it's important for people who are sitting in prison to have access to the health-care they need (and, yes, sex reassignment surgery is included), so I suppose this is good news on balance? Sort of conflicted.

No it isn't.

1. we're talking about hrt, not srs.
2. i'd really like to see your reasoning for this claim.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:27 AM »

Manning deserves the death penalty, but in principle it's important for people who are sitting in prison to have access to the health-care they need (and, yes, sex reassignment surgery is included), so I suppose this is good news on balance? Sort of conflicted.

No it isn't.

If you're going to use initialisms, I think we'd all prefer that you at least capitalize them. Otherwise, it looks like you're trying to say "hurt" and "serious", which of course makes no sense.

i think it's pretty obvious in context Tongue
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »

No it isn't.

If you're going to use initialisms, I think we'd all prefer that you at least capitalize them. Otherwise, it looks like you're trying to say "hurt" and "serious", which of course makes no sense.

You're also supposed to capitalize letters at the beginning of a sentence, and end said sentence with a period. I'm not sure how a colon followed by a lower-case "p" is supposed to do the same job here.

this is an internet forum, not a fcking résumé.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 08:47:49 AM »

No it isn't.

You're also supposed to capitalize letters at the beginning of a sentence, and end said sentence with a period. I'm not sure how a colon followed by a lower-case "p" is supposed to do the same job here.

this is an internet forum, not a fcking résumé.

This isn't elementary school either. You're supposed to have acquired basic literacy.

if you can come up with literally one example of capitalisation affecting a sentence's meaning that isn't ridiculously contrived, i'd be happy to change my ways.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »

Languages have basic rules. You can't pick and choose which ones apply to you. Proper writing/speaking is the basis of all civilized discourse.

yes, you can, when you're speaking in an informal context. writing without capital letters is widely enough used in informal contexts that throwing a fit about it just makes you look spiteful.

it should be noted, also, that the current strictness of capitalisation rules is very much a historical aberration.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2015, 05:53:33 PM by ⑪ (evergreen) »

As for the language issue, I'm disappointed in Antonio V, he may be in a position where he doesn't need too train his english, but for many of us other non-English speakers, these forums serve as a way to train our skills in the English language, and the expertation that you need to be perfect write English perfectly, to write on a English board, are just a way to reduce the user to a small privileged elite in the very real meaning of the word.

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

A Person has a good command of English. I've never seen her make any of the mistakes you see from non-native English speakers. The point is that she knows perfectly what the rules are, she's just to f**king lazy to apply them. And besides, capitalization isn't even a specificity of the English language. German (which I assume would be her native language) also capitalizes sentences. So there is absolutely no excuses you can make for her.

I have no problem if someone makes mistakes because they are new. Hell, go dig into my early posts and see what a horrible mess they were. I basically learned English on this forum! But since I did, I make an effort to follow its rules to the best of my knowledge and ability. I owe that to my interlocutors.

she's just to f**king lazy to apply them.

gosh
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 01:33:15 AM »

Typo mistakes happen. I don't see how that invalidates my point in any way.

i wasn't using it to refute your point (there's nothing to refute) but people going on a righteous crusade about grammar while themselves making elementary grammatical mistakes themselves will never not be funny.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 02:57:53 AM »

As for Manning who care one way or another. I'm not happy aboout what USA have done, did and do, but that doesn't make him less of a traitor.

As for the language issue, I'm disappointed in Antonio V, he may be in a position where he doesn't need too train his english, but for many of us other non-English speakers, these forums serve as a way to train our skills in the English language, and the expertation that you need to be perfect write English perfectly, to write on a English board, are just a way to reduce the user to a small privileged elite in the very real meaning of the word.

Did you place that landmine in there on purpose?

him/her? not really, through I can't say I care much about the gender of Manning, it's really rather irrelevant, it have nothing to do with why she's in prison, and if I was trans, I wouldn't really use her as representant of transsexuality and become angry every time someone mispronounce her gender (in fact I would be happy, because I would hope they didn't connect transsexuality with a traitor).

What the [Inks] is wrong with you?

"hey if you do something wrong we're kicking you out of the demographic"
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:43 AM »

And capitalization isn't even grammar. It's syntax.

grammar includes syntax Curly
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies