manning to get access to hormone replacement therapy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:35:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  manning to get access to hormone replacement therapy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: manning to get access to hormone replacement therapy  (Read 5296 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: February 13, 2015, 05:59:23 AM »

Good.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »

Manning deserves the death penalty, but in principle it's important for people who are sitting in prison to have access to the health-care they need (and, yes, sex reassignment surgery is included), so I suppose this is good news on balance? Sort of conflicted.

No it isn't.

1. we're talking about hrt, not srs.
2. i'd really like to see your reasoning for this claim.

If you're going to use initialisms, I think we'd all prefer that you at least capitalize them. Otherwise, it looks like you're trying to say "hurt" and "serious", which of course makes no sense.

i think it's pretty obvious in context Tongue

You're also supposed to capitalize letters at the beginning of a sentence, and end said sentence with a period. I'm not sure how a colon followed by a lower-case "p" is supposed to do the same job here.

this is an internet forum, not a fcking résumé.

This isn't elementary school either. You're supposed to have acquired basic literacy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »

Languages have basic rules. You can't pick and choose which ones apply to you. Proper writing/speaking is the basis of all civilized discourse.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2015, 11:54:30 AM by Antonio V »

Essentially it's total nonsense to suggest that there is a 'pure' form of any given language and that any and all dialects are perversions and distortions of it. In reality the 'pure' form of the language in question is itself a dialect.

That's obviously not what I was saying.

The point is that if you don't even bother hitting the shift key when writing a post on an internet forum, you're not being "creative" and inventing a new dialect or slang. You're just a lazy f**k.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »

Essentially it's total nonsense to suggest that there is a 'pure' form of any given language and that any and all dialects are perversions and distortions of it. In reality the 'pure' form of the language in question is itself a dialect.

That's obviously not what I was saying.

The point is that if you don't even bother hitting the shift key when writing a post on an internet forum, you're not being "creative" and inventing a new dialect or slang. You're just a lazy f**k.

Are Hebrew script writers lazy to not have capital letters at all?

Capital letters are not necessary. That is not to say that they shouldn't be used, but it doesn't damage communication in any real way to drop them.

Your previous post was interesting, but now you're just being clever by half. In most everyday occurrences people are expected to follow the regular rules that are codified in the language they're speaking. If "a person" was writing poetry, it would have been a different issue altogether. If you just want to communicate your thoughts, do it the way you were taught at school.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »

But there's also a register issue there, Antonio.

A good buddy of mine and I regularly communicate largely by text message since he lives in Boston. When we first started texting, I wrote I do here--capitals, periods, all of that. That actually put him off a little bit--I was coming off as overly stuffy and informal. Now when we message, I never use periods or capitalize.

There's nothing wrong with using a more informal register in a more informal context. Sometimes it's even the proper thing to do.

If the register of the conversation is defined by the rules adopted by the majority of its participants (and how else would you define it?), then the register of this forum includes capitalizing sentences.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »

As for the language issue, I'm disappointed in Antonio V, he may be in a position where he doesn't need too train his english, but for many of us other non-English speakers, these forums serve as a way to train our skills in the English language, and the expertation that you need to be perfect write English perfectly, to write on a English board, are just a way to reduce the user to a small privileged elite in the very real meaning of the word.

What the hell does this have to do with anything?

A Person has a good command of English. I've never seen him make any of the mistakes you see from non-native English speakers. The point is that he knows perfectly what the rules are, he's just to f**king lazy to apply them. And besides, capitalization isn't even a specificity of the English language. German (which I assume would be his native language) also capitalizes sentences. So there is absolutely no excuses you can make for him.

I have no problem if someone makes mistakes because they are new. Hell, go dig into my early posts and see what a horrible mess they were. I basically learned English on this forum! But since I did, I make an effort to follow its rules to the best of my knowledge and ability. I owe that to my interlocutors.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »

Typo mistakes happen. I don't see how that invalidates my point in any way.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »

Typo mistakes happen. I don't see how that invalidates my point in any way.

i wasn't using it to refute your point (there's nothing to refute) but people going on a righteous crusade about grammar while themselves making elementary grammatical mistakes themselves will never not be funny.

There is a point, you just seem to be unable (or unwilling) to address it.

And capitalization isn't even grammar. It's syntax.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »

this debate over grammar and syntax adds so much value to the thread, thank you all for contributing

I don't see how it has make the thread worse, seeing how the other posts are the usual sh*tfest of transphobia and "muh traitor, rot in hell"  nonsense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies