For The Record: My Insanely Early 2015-2016 NFL Playoff Prediction
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:35:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  For The Record: My Insanely Early 2015-2016 NFL Playoff Prediction
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For The Record: My Insanely Early 2015-2016 NFL Playoff Prediction  (Read 10196 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:21:01 AM »

NFL seasons are like elections; fun to try to predict at an absurdly early time. We probably know about as much about what the 2016 playoffs will look like as we do about who will win the 2016 GOP primary, but that doesn't stop us from having fun guessing and speculating!

Here is my first prediction. Thoughts?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:11:12 PM »

Packers and Patriots are a little obvious to predict in the Super Bowl. You frequently don't get two elite passers in the Super Bowl, though of course it does happen.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:20:28 PM »

The Bills have a fairly easy schedule next season, but who's to say they'll make the play-offs? And why would the Colts beat Denver again?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »

The Bills have a fairly easy schedule next season, but who's to say they'll make the play-offs? And why would the Colts beat Denver again?

I agree with the Colts beating Denver again because Peyton will be 39 years old and really should either be coaching or with ESPN or NFL Network.  At this point Andrew Luck is at least on par with Peyton Manning, maybe slightly ahead.

That said, I think depending on what happens with DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant in Free Agency, Dallas has to be considered the favorite to repeat as division champs.

One more note, New England better not win another Super Bowl...

Like you said, though, this is all a shot in the dark at this point.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 04:56:29 PM by DemPGH »

Pretty reasonable (if the Packers get their contracts straightened out, they could be next year's team "on a mission," and remember they beat the Pats 26-21 back in November), but the Pats aren't winning another one, no. Plus, would love to see Revis go to the Bills, which I've seen floated around as a possibility. Either way, if the Pats don't keep him, everyone will be out for a piece of them.

Also rumors about Marshawn Lynch retiring. I doubt it, it's probably posturing.

Also, would love to see Philly win the NFC E. Dallas has to be the favorite, though.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »

I agree with the Colts beating Denver again because Peyton will be 39 years old and really should either be coaching or with ESPN or NFL Network.  At this point Andrew Luck is at least on par with Peyton Manning, maybe slightly ahead.

That said, I think depending on what happens with DeMarco Murray and Dez Bryant in Free Agency, Dallas has to be considered the favorite to repeat as division champs.

One more note, New England better not win another Super Bowl...

Like you said, though, this is all a shot in the dark at this point.

Manning had a torn quad, and although 39 is old for a QB I still think it's a bit of a bold claim to be making this early out. Favre was 40 and still took the Vikings to the NFC Championship (and nearly the SB) and was probably less healthy than Manning given today's concussion and safety rules.

Dallas seems to be offering Murray peanuts for a contract renewal. Despite my username I'm not a Cowboys fan so I don't know the nature of Romo's impediments from last season - if they persist then Murray might be a higher priority than Bryant IMO, though it's hard to say that either of them should be let go.

Pretty reasonable (if the Packers get their contracts straightened out, they could be next year's team "on a mission," and remember they beat the Pats 26-21 back in November)

Re-signing Randall Cobb is top priority IMO - he's young, and had just as many targets as Jordy Nelson last season. I'd like for Green Bay to do something about their defense - Clinton-Dix shows promise for a rookie and Julius Peppers was pretty good, but it's just been too unreliable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 01:50:19 AM »

Any particular reason you've got the Packers beating Seattle for the Conference? Hardly an outlandish call, but just curious.
JRP1994

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »

Any particular reason you've got the Packers beating Seattle for the Conference? Hardly an outlandish call, but just curious.

Good question. Mainly because the numbers that I ran (using FiveThirtyEight's ELO ratings) have Seattle and Green Bay both finishing with 14-2 records, yet the Packers holding the tie breaker due to beating the Seahawks at Lambeau Field. NFC Championship would therefore be played at Lambeau Field, where I don't see GB losing.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »

Patriots over Ravens
Bills over Steelers

Packers over Cardinals
Rams over Panthers

Patriots over Broncos
Bills over Colts