Jeb Bush says he wants to ignore the past
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:14:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb Bush says he wants to ignore the past
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jeb Bush says he wants to ignore the past  (Read 2979 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »

Jeb Bush (R) said he isn’t interested in talking about Iraq war and his brother’s role in starting it, Bloomberg reports.

Said Bush: “I won’t talk about the past. I’ll talk about the future. If I’m in the process of considering the possibility of running, it’s not about re-litigating anything in the past. It’s about trying to create a set of ideas and principles that will help us move forward.”

http://politicalwire.com/2015/02/14/bush-doesnt-want-talk-past-wars

Good luck with that ... Tongue

How's that saying ? "You can run, but you cannot hide."
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »

He shouldn't have to answer for his brother's war, just like Hillary shouldn't have to answer for anything Bill did.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 11:49:21 AM »

The problem with that was, that Jeb is connected with the Bush clan name, both father and brother took eyes off the economy in a misadventure in Iraq. And connection to Cheney and Halliburton. Like it or not, Jeb will be connected with his brother and father's legacy in the primary or in the general.
bobloblaw
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »

He WILL have to answer questions about the past.

This run of his is nothing but a temper tantrum for losing in 1994 for Gov of FL.

Had Jeb won in 1994, he would have been the GOP nominee 2000 and easily beat Gore. He might have been a better president than GW Bush, Im sure. But it didnt happen that way and he cant change history.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »

He WILL need to distinguish himself from his brother, the worst President of the United States since at least Andrew Johnson. He WILL have to explain how he creates a sustainable prosperity without some speculative boom that devours capital and then goes bust. He WILL need to tell us how his foreign policy will differ from that of his brother's disaster.

He will surely surround himself with the neo-liberal types who trivialize the misfortune of anyone not already super-rich. He will likely find his staff on military and foreign policy among neo-con chickenhawks.
bobloblaw
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »

Worst since Wilson. Wilson was awful
OldDominion
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »

That little brother that goes to the party, acts like a fool, and tries to go back. Yeah, let's ignore him from now one. BUT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

He's not getting the nomination - Bush fatigue is real, even 8 years out. Jeb may try to distance himself from it but as that old quote goes - Resistance is futile. Listen to the Borg Jebbie.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »

Try and say that to Democrats, they will want it both ways, Hillary will want to talk about Dubya's Iraq war and any other negatives that tars Jeb, while at the same time avoiding any talk of aspects of Bill's more negative legacy. Woe to those who defy Hillary's narrative,  even Jeb. In other words,  "having one's cake and eating it as well".  I can see it now, Democrats wanting to avoid the negatives involving Obama's potential in handling ISIS and making all sorts of noise about the Iraq war. I agree, however Jeb is no more culpable or responsible for the decision making process to go into Iraq, than Hillary was responsible in the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal or Whitewater....right? I mean Jeb was merely Governor of Florid...wasn't he? or am I missing something here?...and Hillary was just Bill's wife & handled much of what was going on over the White water land deal...er..wait a minute...what am I talking about? There's no comparison!...dang...awkward!
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 02:04:50 PM »

Jeb can't completely ignore Iraq, he has to say what he would do differently. Dodging it is going to get him nowhere at all in the primary, much less the general. Hillary's problems are less severe, nobody cares who Bill slept with in the 1990s.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

Try and say that to Democrats, they will want it both ways, Hillary will want to talk about Dubya's Iraq war and any other negatives that tars Jeb, while at the same time avoiding any talk of aspects of Bill's more negative legacy. Woe to those who defy Hillary's narrative,  even Jeb. In other words,  "having one's cake and eating it as well".  I can see it now, Democrats wanting to avoid the negatives involving Obama's potential in handling ISIS and making all sorts of noise about the Iraq war. I agree, however Jeb is no more culpable or responsible for the decision making process to go into Iraq, than Hillary was responsible in the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal or Whitewater....right? I mean Jeb was merely Governor of Florid...wasn't he? or am I missing something here?...and Hillary was just Bill's wife & handled much of what was going on over the White water land deal...er..wait a minute...what am I talking about? There's no comparison!...dang...awkward!

Hillary's not going to talk about Iraq or GWB, that's just absurd.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »

He WILL need to distinguish himself from his brother, the worst President of the United States since at least Andrew Johnson. He WILL have to explain how he creates a sustainable prosperity without some speculative boom that devours capital and then goes bust. He WILL need to tell us how his foreign policy will differ from that of his brother's disaster.

He will surely surround himself with the neo-liberal types who trivialize the misfortune of anyone not already super-rich. He will likely find his staff on military and foreign policy among neo-con chickenhawks.

Andrew Johnson was president in the 1860's, the worst president since then is Hoover, not W. Bush.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 01:01:12 AM »

If we "ignore the past" then what does Bush have to run on? That he's a rich guy who really wants to be President?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 01:09:02 AM »

Well, if we ignore the past, then there's nothing with a brother and son of 2 Presidents who will have been out of office for a decade.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 01:19:02 AM »

I'm sorry but it's impossible to ignore the actions of George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush. We cannot pretend Jeb Bush is somehow unrelated to them or cannot talk about their policy decisions. It's painfully obvious that he shares many of his father's and brother's ideological views.  Same with Hillary Clinton's views and her husband.

Just like Hillary Clinton is going to have to talk about her husband's presidency, Job Bush is going to have to address his father's and brother's presidency. There's good and bad things about Bill Clinton and George W. Bush.

George W. Bush addressed his father's presidency. How do I know that? He made it a repeated principle that he would never raise taxes.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 01:21:17 AM »

Any Republican is going to have to address the “Iraq question.” It dominated the presidency of the last Republican president. The sooner the party reaches a honest answer about it and creates a foreign policy that demonstrates that a repeat isn't likely, the better off the party will be. 

This is also another reason not to nominate a Bush. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 01:31:28 AM »

Someone once said, "Fool me once, shame on, shame on... you.  You fool me, you can't get fooled again."

Someone else once said, those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Kind of relevant quotes I think. 
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 03:06:49 AM »

Excuse me where the heck does it say we are responsible for the sins of our father's or brother's? ....can see the Democrats are going to cling to that whole theory because these talking points are already beginning to emerge. Wouldn't it be a good idea to examine how much Hillary did not know about the Whitewater land deal during her time in the Rose Law firm; I mean that whole investigation meandered away from that subject to the sexual aspects of Bill Clinton's activities. These Whitewater land deal issues and Hillary's involvement in same, is not just about answering the legalities,  her involvement in these activities from an ethical point of view.  We can't just examine her role in the Benghazi screw-up and the Monica Lewinsky issue has been dealt with, but not the questions of who are the identities of those donors of the Clinton Foundation & Bill's post presidential activities...but of course that depends if CBS,  NBC,  CNN,  New York Times and the Washington Post take there journalistic integrities out of the blind trust. However I think we all know the answer there.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 03:09:42 AM »

Excuse me where the heck does it say we are responsible for the sins of our father's or brother's? ....can see the Democrats are going to cling to that whole theory because these talking points are already beginning to emerge. Wouldn't it be a good idea to examine how much Hillary did not know about the Whitewater land deal during her time in the Rose Law firm; I mean that whole investigation meandered away from that subject to the sexual aspects of Bill Clinton's activities. These Whitewater land deal issues and Hillary's involvement in same, is not just about answering the legalities,  her involvement in these activities from an ethical point of view.  We can't just examine her role in the Benghazi screw-up and the Monica Lewinsky issue has been dealt with, but not the questions of who are the identities of those donors of the Clinton Foundation & Bill's post presidential activities...but of course that depends if CBS,  NBC,  CNN,  New York Times and the Washington Post take there journalistic integrities out of the blind trust. However I think we all know the answer there.

90s rehash + Benghazi? If that's the best you guys have, this is gonna be a cakewalk.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:10 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »

Nobody but partisan hacks (and Rush Limbaugh) care about Whitewater anymore. And the Benghazi issue has had COUNTLESS investigations, and they've all found nothing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 02:52:48 PM »

ffs this is about Bush, not Hilary. Is it possible for republicans to talk about their own party?
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 07:47:15 PM »

Very cocky ain't ya Icespear?  Might be that kool-aid is clouding your judgement;  but hey if it fits in with the Hillary is going to win in a cake walk. Just like the 1990s stuff is old news, then so is Iraq; can't have it both ways bro; bring up Iraq...which has nothing to do with Jeb. He was just GOVERNOR OF FLORIDA....HELLO! However Hillary was Bill's spouse, you of course remember that old mantra, you Democrats loved to spout out about? You know the refrain, "You get two for the price of one"...will I'm convinced; you can't day Hillary wasn't privy to all that bad crap; so culpability by association...and old dog lying down and getting up with fleas!..oh maybe you are trying to say she only knew about the good stuff...oh how very tidy! Don't think you are gonna get much cooperation from us Republicans on that score...oh shame!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 01:45:19 AM »

in all fairness being governor of Florida in 2000 looks a bit bad considering his brother stole the state
retromike22
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 02:37:20 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfGTL2PY3E
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 03:06:13 AM »

Don't know where you source your information; going by urban legend eh! Then explain to me how Gore won Miami-Dade county; if Jeb helped steal the state, how do you explain why he couldn't steal that or many more counties. Florida is divided into a series of counties, like the United States is divided into states; so the Governor as powerful as he or she may be, cannot dictate how a county votes, anymore than a President can dictate how a state votes. Who lived in those counties? people...Republicans or Democrats & Independents, perhaps a fare share of libertarians; voters for there own reasons,  be it local, issue or personality vote in the privacy of the voting booth. There was confusion over some ballot papers in some counties; remember dimpled & hanging chads.  Fact was there was no universal model of the Florida ballot paper. Each county in the state had there own design,  Jeb had no control over these features than the man in the moon. He and many others,  now endowed with 20/20 vision in hindsight,  could have envisaged what was going to happen, as it never happened before...unless you believe in magic and voodoo spells. Then you had some moronic voters down in Miami-Dade who couldn't even read a ballot paper & were just plain lazy to check the ballot paper before they left the voting booth...Most of them were Democratic base voters; there literacy must have been suspect. I mean voting for Pat Buchanan instead of Al Gore? That really takes the cake...blame Miami-Dade officials for that screw-up,  gross negligence and incompetence. How come there were no problems in leaning Republican counties?
So Jeb at best had minimal control over how things were going.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies