Copenhagen terror attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:38:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Copenhagen terror attacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Copenhagen terror attacks  (Read 9563 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »

So first a shooting aimed at a person, who drew Mohammed, and then a shooting near a synagogue. This seems to be following the example of the Paris attacks.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »

Could be more coming out of the woodwork. Scary times.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »

I'm actually following the SJW/intersectioanlist line on this one. Since the reaction to the Chapel Hill shooting was largely "why is no one who complains about Islamic terrorism complaining about this!?" Somehow doing that is apparently Islamophobic? Whatever.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »

I'm actually following the SJW/intersectioanlist line on this one. Since the reaction to the Chapel Hill shooting was largely "why is no one who complains about Islamic terrorism complaining about this!?" Somehow doing that is apparently Islamophobic? Whatever.

That would be your first mistake.

They're just as hypocritical and selective as the far-right when it comes to these things. I think most of us agree that any situation where innocent civilians get gunned down is horrible. One tragedy doesn't need to be balanced with commentary about another.

That's where you get crap like the article smugly detailing how American lynchings had a lot in common with ISIS' torture of its victims. And that helps anyone...how?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 02:12:14 AM »

New developments:

* A security guard in front of a Jewish synagogue has been shot & killed overnight

* Police then shot dead a man nearby at a train station (maybe the attacker ?)

* Danish police is holding a press conference right now
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 03:06:39 AM »

You don't think it's in bad taste to use a tragedy in order to score some sort of point against SJWs?

Anyway this is tragic. RIP to the victims and I hope that there is no more violence. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2015, 03:45:53 AM »

I've heard that the attacker is confirmed dead? Hopefully the terror is over.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2015, 06:55:19 AM »

You don't think it's in bad taste to use a tragedy in order to score some sort of point against SJWs?

He doesn't make a point against SJWs, he say he follow their line, and I no longer think it's bad taste, it goes far beyond bad taste.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 06:55:43 AM »

The police believe that they killed the perpetrator but there still seems to be some ambiguity.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 06:57:40 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 06:59:13 AM by beatrice »

He doesn't make a point against SJWs, he say he follow their line, and I no longer think it's bad taste, it goes far beyond bad taste.

I thought he intended it as a kind of parody? Whatever it was, this was not the place.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 07:06:12 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 07:19:57 AM by ingemann »

A Jewish synagoge was attacked (where a  bar mitzva was celebrated) later last night and a 37 year old Jewish man was killed and two cops wounded. Later the suspected killer was shot and killed at Nørrebro Train Station affter he opened fire on the police.

The victims until now have been:

Finn Nørgaard (55) film instructor (no children, unmarried, but in a relationship)
Dan Uzon (37) economist (I have seen no informations about his family Edit: he was unmarried and had no children)

The killer's name have not been publicised, but he lived in Mjølnerparken a housing project in northern Nørrebro with 2500 people, 85,5% are either immigrants or children of immigrants.

While I wrote this a second person have been arrested.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »

Do they think it was a copycat attack (which intuitively seems more 'likely' than the alternatives) or...? Deeply depressing stuff though. Urgh.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 12:32:05 PM by ingemann »

Do they think it was a copycat attack (which intuitively seems more 'likely' than the alternatives) or...? Deeply depressing stuff though. Urgh.

The police treat it as a terror attack, it's all they have said, they also say they suspect the man they killed was the killer, and not just some random dude opening fire on the police.

That should tell how many conclusions they jump to. They haven't told the public what they think was the reason for the attack was, even the politicians have hold back from coming to conclusion yet. So they haven't indicated whether they think it's a copycat. Of course everyone else have made the conclusion.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 01:02:55 PM »

The name of the killer have been published:

Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein a 22 year old with a criminal past, he was released from prison 2 weeks ago. He was born in Denmark.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »

Dan Uzan was also former elite basketball player, team leader for his clubs veteran team and involved in a lot of volunteer work. Israeli dad/Danish mum.

Both the death sounds like really good guys, which makes it even more sad.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

Dan Uzan was also former elite basketball player, team leader for his clubs veteran team and involved in a lot of volunteer work. Israeli dad/Danish mum.

Both the death sounds like really good guys, which makes it even more sad.

Yes, Dan especially sound like a really nice person (using his free time as trainer and guard for the synagoge). through at least they didn't leave any young children behind.

BTW have you found out anything about the killer ethnicity? His name seem to be rather normal Arabic, but I haven't heard any informations about his ethnicity.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 05:57:14 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

The attacker was just released from prison after serving most of a two year sentence. He attacked a 19 year old man in a city train back in November 2013 with a knife, claiming he thought the victim had been part of an attack against him (which he hadn't). Also said he had smoked too much cannabis and suffered from angst. Sounds slightly paranoid.

The victim was fairly close to bleeding to death and the judges and the jury disagreed whether he should go down for attempted murder, but a majority of the judges saved him and he was only convicted for assault.

He stabbed his victim twice in the thigh and the location of the wounds was the reason he wasn't convicted. Too bad two of the three judges didn't go with the jury.

Gang member - Brothas from Nørrebro, "immigrant"-gang, but not connected to Islamists.

EDIT: If you are found guilty by a Danish jury, a majority of three judges needs to approve the verdict (called the double guarantee). Only one of the judges agreed with the jury in this case.

The reason he was released so early was that he had appealed the verdict and would have had to serve more than the 2/3 of his sentence that you normally serve before getting parole in DK before the appeal court could have heard the case. So they decided to release him and let him serve what might have remained of his sentence afterwards. Pretty stupid since he would not have spend above two years in jail anyway.
swl
France

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »

Sad
Angel of Death
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 02:41:38 AM »

Apparently Netanyahu wants to finish the job Hitler started.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 04:26:51 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2015, 04:52:46 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

Police have charged two young men aged 19 and 22 "with immigrant background" for helping Omar Abdel Hamid acquiring weapons and hiding him after the assault + illegal possession of firearms. Unclear if one of them is the second guy seen running from "Krudttønden". There have been about five other arrests, but none of those have been charged (yet).

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 04:29:12 AM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »

Around 45 minutes prior to his first attack Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein or an accomplice uploaded a video to his facebook profile with a hymn/tribute to "the Jihad of the sword" (armed Jihad).

The video was produced by a company called 'Proud Muslim' and had been placed on YouTube on a channel, where several of the other videos show the ISIS-flag and celebrates ISIS-victories.

El-Hussein has Palestinian parents and had a strong hatred of all Jews. People who knew him said he liked to discuss Islam, but when and to what extent he got involved with militant Islamists remain unclear, but it seems he was not a complete "lone wolf". He did have some sort of support network (but it might just have been some of his "Brothas").

Still, it was not a very professional attack and he had not been trained by professionals. That much seems to be clear.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »

Starting to sound almost David Copeland-ish.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2015, 12:30:20 PM »

The hell is wrong with you?
Angel of Death
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »

Spare me the conjured outrage, because you all know perfectly well what I'm getting at here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies