Copenhagen terror attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:02:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Copenhagen terror attacks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Copenhagen terror attacks  (Read 9560 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
« edited: February 15, 2015, 02:13:39 AM by Tender Branson »

Danish police have said three officers were shot and wounded at blasphemy debate in Copenhagen where the French ambassador was speaking.

Two gunmen are said to still be at large.

Reports say up to forty shots were fired outside the venue in the Danish capital.

Controversial Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, who has drawn caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, was also present at the debate, according to local reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31472423
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »

Danish police have said three officers were shot and wounded at blasphemy debate in Copenhagen where the French ambassador was speaking.

Two gunmen are said to still be at large.

Reports say up to forty shots were fired outside the venue in the Danish capital.

Controversial Danish cartoonist Lars Vilks, who has drawn caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad, was also present at the debate, according to local reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31472423

Vilks is Swedish.

Glad no one was killed and glad I am not home at the moment, I live only a couple of blocks away.

Perpetrators spoke Danish.

Ironically the culture house where it happened is named Krudttønden ( the Powder Keg)
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »

One person killed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:02:57 PM »

I hope this isn't happening again.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »

It's happening again and sadly it's likely to keep happening.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »

A random 40 year old man that happened to pass by. The perpetrator shot him in the chest. He is described as 185-190 cm tall, dark skinned, muscular and with stubs. So here we go...

Good for the DPP in an election year, bad for everybody else.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

I know I am being cynical here and it is not that I have no empathy for the family of the death or of the wounded officers.

But a random 40 year old civilian man (= age where he is likely to have underage children) shot by a Danish speaking dark skinned guy (= "Muslim" - mørklødet literally means dark skinned, but is never used for black people or mulattoes and I bet this guy is not a Sicilian or Israeli) - is the worst possible combo.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:15:06 PM »

Just got hold of the last of the three guys I know in the relevant age group. Safe and sound.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »

Oh my God, is this ever going to end?

My thoughts and solidarity to the victim's relative and to the Danish people.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »

The police has now released a description of one of the two shooters at the meeting:

25–30 years old, around 185 cm tall, athletic build with "Arabic appearance, but lighter skin than usual" and straight black hair.

So "Arabic"...
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 02:18:54 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

At their press briefing the police emphasized that the target is unknown and may as well have been the French Ambassador as Vilks (or possibly both of course).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 02:18:37 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

The tree cops (two of them Vilks bodyguards) were wounded in the shoulder, leg and groin respectively, so thankfully nothing critical.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 03:15:12 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

The police know say there were only one shooter at "Krudttønden", but unclear if it was the same guy that killed the 40 year old. The shooter ran away together with another man after the police had returned fire.

They have found the getaway car.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 03:44:47 PM »

This and the Chapel Hill shooting are both bad.
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »

BBC has released an audio recording of the shooting:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31472745
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 04:49:30 PM by ingemann »

I find this post to be very bad taste, through I'm sure you have the best intentions with it, but I still suggest you delete it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »

I find this post to be very bad taste, through I'm sure you have the best intensions with it, but I still suggest you delete it.

It's bad taste to say that murder is bad?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 04:47:06 PM »

The reaction to the attack have been rather dignified yet. Even Pia Kjærsgaard think we should wait until we have more information about the reason for the attack and who the attackers was.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »

I find this post to be very bad taste, through I'm sure you have the best intensions with it, but I still suggest you delete it.

Antonio I don't feel like fighting right now, while I'm unlikely to know the victim, Copenhagen are not bigger, than it may be someone I know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »

Antonio I don't feel like fighting right now, while I'm unlikely to know the victim, Copenhagen are not bigger, than it may be someone I know.

I'm sorry about that. I know very well how it feels when the city you live in is under attack. My intention certainly wasn't to start a fight, I found your post genuinely confusing.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »

I'm sorry about that. I know very well how it feels when the city you live in is under attack. My intention certainly wasn't to start a fight, I found your post genuinely confusing.

Why would he bring Chapel Hill shooting, what relevance do it have to a murder and likely terror attack in Denmark? I think it's sad those three people was murdered, but bringing it up in this thread, is like bringing ISIS up in the thread about those three murders.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »

I found it odd as well. It implied that they somehow even each other out - attack on Muslims in the US/ attack by (probably) Muslims in Copenhagen.

This shooting is also likely politically motivated (= terror), which it is far from obvious that the killings on the parking lot were.

Willips tends to post these somewhat odd, super short/no context replies in threads about sensitive topics, which is problematic.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »

Sad
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2015, 06:35:26 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

The French Ambassador to Denmark Francois Zimeray is not your standard diplomat. He is a prominent human rights advocate (started an organization to help Cambodian refugees when he was 17 and never stopped).

"# Played a decisive role in the organisation of the European campaign in support for Darfur. In 2007, he visited the Darfur refugee camps in Chad with the French philosopher, Bernard-Henri Lévy. He raised awareness and managed to mobilize French public opinion as well as political leaders.

# Founded the Alliance of Lawyers for Human Rights in 2009 offering free legal expertise to associations, NGOs and institutions working in the field of human rights.

# Supports The People's Voice, the initiative by Palestinian Sari Nusseibeh and Israeli Ami Ayalon. François Zimeray went to Gaza twice and described the attitude of people defining themselves as exclusively in favour of one side against the other ("pro-palestinian" or "pro-Israel") as "intellectual hooliganism".

# Founded the Cercle Léon Blum and worked to promote dialogue between European leaders and Middle Eastern political and civil society representatives as Chairman of the Medbridge Strategy Center founded in Brussels with prominent European politicians such as Willy De Clercq, François Léotard, Emma Bonino and Ana Palacio. He then had several meetings with Shimon Peres, Mahmoud Abbas and King Abdullah II of Jordan.

# France’s Ambassador-at-large for Human Rights since 2008 with near to 100 diplomatic missions have led him to the Syrian border, Chechnya, Colombia, Gaza, Israel, Sri Lanka camps, Turkmenistan, Burma, Moscow, Thailand, Baghdad, Jordan, Lebanon, Kirghizstan, Uganda, Chad, Burundi, Congo, Rwanda, Libya, Algeria, Egypt, Nepal, among others. Also in charge of Holocaust related issues and active in raising awareness of growing anti-semitism."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Zimeray#Career

I am not at all sure Vilks was the target. Zimeray would have been a very symbolic casualty.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »

He was also an MEP, mayor of a Rouen suburb and president of Rouen agglomeration in the 90's.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies