Utah's state House votes 39-34 to reinstitute execution by firing squad (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Utah's state House votes 39-34 to reinstitute execution by firing squad (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah's state House votes 39-34 to reinstitute execution by firing squad  (Read 8332 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: February 17, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »

I don't understand why we need violent ways of capital punishment.

...As opposed to non-violent ways of killing people?

We tried. Then Europe got upset about it. I think one reason they're considering this is because European drug manufacturers are refusing to export to the United States sodium thiopental and other lethal-injection drugs.

I did not realize US had no pharmaceutical industry of its own. We now know the full-proof way Europe can make US succumb to its demands: ban Tylenol exports.

Big pharma is multinational and for tax reasons is usually incorporated in a low tax European state such as Ireland.  But even if it weren't, the desire to sell in European markets would keep them from wanted to sell their drugs for executions.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »

I don't understand why we need violent ways of capital punishment.

...As opposed to non-violent ways of killing people?

We tried. Then Europe got upset about it. I think one reason they're considering this is because European drug manufacturers are refusing to export to the United States sodium thiopental and other lethal-injection drugs.

I did not realize US had no pharmaceutical industry of its own. We now know the full-proof way Europe can make US succumb to its demands: ban Tylenol exports.

Big pharma is multinational and for tax reasons is usually incorporated in a low tax European state such as Ireland.  But even if it weren't, the desire to sell in European markets would keep them from wanted to sell their drugs for executions.

Wasn't the biggest argument against health reform that the high margins in the American market drive the product innovation, which the socialized European medicine, with its low profits would not generate? Or am I forgetting something?

Anyway, poisons are among the oldest pharmaceuticals known to humanity. To produce generic versions of a few chemicals, which have, mostly, been in public domain for generations, you do not need to be "big pharma". You are not talking of a cure for malaria here.
Every little bit of profit counts, especially since there is very little to be made by selling for use in executions.  Even if the profits aren't as high as would be liked, there are still some profits to be made by selling to Europe in addition to America for a drug that has already been developed.  The argument you refer to is that if the expected profits made from a drug once it has been developed are reduced then those expected profits may not be enough to justify the expected cost of development. The general idea is sound, tho whether the expected profits would truly be lowered to that point is debatable.  However, we're talking not merely chemicals, but drugs which accordingly have to manufactured according to regulation and certified as such.  If merely killing were all that was required, there would be no need for such niceties, but since the standard is that executions in the US should be conducted as humanely as possible, precise and consistent dosages are wanted.

I'm not a fan of how capital punishment in the US is conducted, but it certainly is odd that those who oppose capital punishment under any circumstances are seeking to prevent more humane methods of execution from being used in hopes that by making executions less humane they will be ended,
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

You continue to ignore the point that the market for execution pharmaceuticals is so small, it makes no sense to set up a company that does only that.  Were any of those companies you pointed out were to openly admit they did so, they'd lose so much other business that they'd lose money.

Also, where would the State of Texas obtain the precursor chemicals under your scenario? The ostracism that affects drug companies presently would affect their suppliers as well if they sold to Texas to make drugs for executions.  To set up the facilities that produced drugs and their precursor chemicals only for executions would be hideously expensive.  It's not as if even Texas is executing people at a rate that would make doing so feasible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies