Utah's state House votes 39-34 to reinstitute execution by firing squad (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:18:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Utah's state House votes 39-34 to reinstitute execution by firing squad (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah's state House votes 39-34 to reinstitute execution by firing squad  (Read 8347 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« on: February 15, 2015, 04:18:05 AM »

Far more humane than the lethal injection. Death comes pretty fast. It's also fairly painless if you do it right.

This is a really important caveat. Is everyone in this thread just taking it on intuition that a firing squad is more humane, or what? I'd need to see some data indicating that firing squads don't have a much higher error rate than lethal injection before I could jump on that bandwagon.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:49:46 PM »

[Citation Needed]

In what way is it far more humane than lethal injection? I get that a properly placed bullet through the brain is swift and relatively painless, but I'm pretty sure a botched firing squad death has the potential to be way worse than a botched lethal injection death. There are plenty of horror stories from back in the day of people surviving firing squads.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:03:43 PM »

A good explanation of how Utah's procedure will work, for those who are curious:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2326783-155/firing-squad-gets-final-ok-so

I oppose the death penalty, but I think that if we have it at all, executions should be humane, yet they might as well be gruesome.  For both those reasons, the guillotine and firing squad are both preferable to lethal injection.

I'll ask again, what makes everyone think the firing squad sound would be more humane than lethal injection?  People keep asserting that notion in this thread without any real explanation or data.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies