Whose Side Are You On: Marvel Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:22:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Whose Side Are You On: Marvel Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Pro-Registration or Anti-Registration
Pro-Registration

Anti-Registration

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Whose Side Are You On: Marvel Civil War  (Read 2749 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2015, 04:49:28 AM »

Anti all the way.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:57:33 AM »

Pro easily
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »

I have no idea what this is about.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »

It's a Murrican thing
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »

Pro-registration (normal). And if they don't like it, throw them in internment camps.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »

Pro is the only rational choice to make when confronted by beings who could easily wipe out the entire planet.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 08:54:35 PM »

Why should they be forced to become government agents, though? I can get just your identity being registered, but not being regulated. What will that accomplish? Destruction will still happen. I do find it interesting though. It was written with little moral ambiguity, but it divides the fanbase just as evenly just the same.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:36:50 AM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:37:25 AM »

From Wiki:

"The plot of the series follows a framework storyline in which the U.S. government passes a Superhero Registration Act ostensibly designed to have superpowered characters act under official regulation, somewhat akin to police officers. However, those opposed to the act, led by Captain America, find themselves in conflict with those in support of the act, led by Iron Man, with Spider-Man caught in the middle. The events of the series touch upon themes of liberty, moral responsibility, and civil order, with well-intentioned superhero characters finding themselves upon different sides."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_%28comics%29

Anti for me.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 05:41:11 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:00:48 AM »

From Wiki:

"The plot of the series follows a framework storyline in which the U.S. government passes a Superhero Registration Act ostensibly designed to have superpowered characters act under official regulation, somewhat akin to police officers. However, those opposed to the act, led by Captain America, find themselves in conflict with those in support of the act, led by Iron Man, with Spider-Man caught in the middle. The events of the series touch upon themes of liberty, moral responsibility, and civil order, with well-intentioned superhero characters finding themselves upon different sides."

Anti for me.

It's pretty weird that Captain America, a symbol of patriotism and loyalty to the country, would be against, and a wildcard like Iron Man would lead the pro faction. I would have assumed the opposite.

Anyway, I'd support it, provided there isn't some sinister government conspiracy (which of course there probably is Tongue).
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »

From Wiki:

Anti for me.

It's pretty weird that Captain America, a symbol of patriotism and loyalty to the country, would be against, and a wildcard like Iron Man would lead the pro faction. I would have assumed the opposite.

Anyway, I'd support it, provided there isn't some sinister government conspiracy (which of course there probably is Tongue).

Yeah, there is. Spider-Man initially joins Stark's side, but it turns out he is subject to mad surveillance and regulation with the new suit given to him.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 06:07:17 PM »

Against (normal) Had the X-Men not been largely neutral they would've been fiercely anti (Bishop and likely Emma being the lone exceptions). Cap took the strict constructionist viewpoint as there wasn't anything in the Marvel 616 US Constitution that would've given congress the right to require such.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »

Anti, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Chrid Evans being hotter than Robert Downey Jr.  Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »

Captain America hasn't been 'pro-government' since the seventies, and always had a civil libertarian streak. Iron Man is or was a military contractor.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Iron Man worked with a team of supervillains to round people up and throw them in extradimensional prisons without trial.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the pro side is portrayed more positively and have more mutants on their side? It's been a couple years.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the pro side is portrayed more positively and have more mutants on their side? It's been a couple years.

No...the pro side was putting people in cosmic prisons and it was a comic written by Mark Millar.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31:07 PM »

Anti all the way.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 04:15:25 AM »

No...the pro side was putting people in cosmic prisons without trial and it was a comic written by Mark Millar.

Aaand was working with nasty villains. Oh, and FTFY
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »

Captain America hasn't been 'pro-government' since the seventies, and always had a civil libertarian streak. Iron Man is or was a military contractor.

Iron Man worked with a team of supervillains to round people up and throw them in extradimensional prisons without trial.

So Iron Man is a downright bad guy these days? Comics are hard to follow. Tongue Obviously the fact that my experience is mostly based on movies doesn't help.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 08:50:22 AM »

So Iron Man is a downright bad guy these days? Comics are hard to follow. Tongue Obviously the fact that my experience is mostly based on movies doesn't help.

Well this storyline concluded almost 10 years ago. Back to status quo for now. It's more that interest in the series has escalated because it will be the skeleton for the plot of Cap 3
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »

I have this bad feeling that CA3 is going to piss me off even more than CA2, which is a shame because I really liked CA1.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

I have this bad feeling that CA3 is going to piss me off even more than CA2, which is a shame because I really liked CA1.

Didn't like Winter Soldier?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »

In the real world I would be pro.

In a world like MU where USA are on the verge of starting a genocide on a large part of the population and where Canada (Marvel's evil empire) also have registration. I would be anti.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:49 AM »

One of the many, many, many frustrating things about this plotline was that Iron Man's position was intended by the writers to be sympathetic.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies