The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:04:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31
Author Topic: The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery  (Read 89928 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »

I don't have lots specific to say, Indy Texas.  I really like reading your posts and I hope things turn up better soon.

What I will say I'll keep general.  Everyone goes through dry, lonely times in life.  I felt a lot of what you are describing on a personal level between the ages of 21 and 26--it was rough.  Life is always changing and, most of the time, things never stay either good or bad for first-worlders.  When things are going well, it's important not to get too cocky, and when things are going bad, it's important to hang in there and not despair.  Life is hard for most people in different ways--it's not singling you out on that score.  So, just keep going, and while you're at it, a few other things maybe to keep in mind.

It's true, I think, that meeting people often gets trickier as we grow older and social circles change.  One thing that might work is finding a hobby and then joining groups, associations, teams, societies of people who also do that.  You'll already have something important in common off the bat, and you'll meet people you'll like beyond the hobby that way.

Not trusting people or being motivated by fear of rejection won't help in the long run.  Trust is only earned through friendship.  But, a good default attitude might be not so much not to trust people, but just not to expect too much.  If you know people who don't ask you for all sorts of things when you're up and don't kick you when you're down, that's already pretty good, so stick with those types and just deal with the rest.

As far as being risk-averse, it's pretty hard, and unwise, to just start taking risks arbitrarily.  You have to find something you love, that's really meaningful to you, something that you'd like to try no matter whether you succeed or fail.  Something that you don't want to find yourself at 45 saying: "I wish I would have at least tried that."  If you have something that you really have passion for, you'll take necessary risks for it without even thinking about it.  What you do for a living is something you'll spend most of your waking hours with for the next several decades.  Make it something you love and that's meaningful to you, because work that's anything else can make life a real bummer.  "Follow your bliss;" Joseph Campbell got that one right.

That's just my two cents.  Might not work for you, everyone's different.  But it's the only two cents I have at the moment.

Hope you feel better soon, Indy.  Like I said, I enjoy your posts a lot.

Most if not all the responses in that thread would deserve to be posted here. It's pretty heartwarming to see so many posters trying their best to comfort a person who's going through hard times, and providing thoughtful advice to help him out of his predicament. I think it might really end up making a difference in IndyTX's life, or at least I hope so. Anyway, it has made me see the forum in a more positive light.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »

Why was my inclusion here of one of this Gallery's namesake's posts deleted without being reported first?

I probably did. I was on vacation and having to navigate the Forum on my phone. I didn't feel like taking the time to report the post myself (and possibly assess points for it) then delete it, so I just cut out the middle man.

Seriously Joe, I don't remember what post of Spade's you put here, but if it is the one where he ended a disagreement by calling the other poster a fa#$ot, then I regret nothing. That sort of $hit doesn't belong anywhere on the Forum, let alone in a "Good Post Gallery".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2015, 11:25:50 AM »

Why are so many of you comfortable with the concept of condemning a soul to an eternity of suffering because the decisions it makes in a fleeting physical existence, do not meet the ideals of a god that has endless and infinite consciousness? How callous.

No 'crime' or 'sin' or any other masochism is worthy of the infinite punishment of an infinite consciousness if that is what our soul is. None. Given that 8 seconds or 80 years or 8 million years as fractions of infinity are effectively of the same value (i.e, they are nothing), it is an eternal condemnation of a consciousness that has had no time in which to think, develop or grow with respect to itself, including reaching the 'right conclusions' as to what is good and what is just. God has has an eternity. It’s a punishment of the un-godlike for not possessing the capabilities of a god.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

have to give my rightist Latin American friend credit for this insight on the psychology of the death penalty.

All this whining about "not being able to get the drugs" is merely an expression of people being nervous about the death penalty. They got somehow used to the existing procedure (with its established drug cocktail), but any "tinkering with the machinery of death" that requires minimal thinking and minimal departure from the protocol approved by their forefathers is making them savagely uncomfortable. Well, that is exactly the point of death penalty opponents: they have nothing against executioners being uncomfortable. There is no "democratic" requirement that people uncomfortable about their own actions should feel a general societal support for what they are doing. 
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »

have to give my rightist Latin American friend credit for this insight on the psychology of the death penalty.

All this whining about "not being able to get the drugs" is merely an expression of people being nervous about the death penalty. They got somehow used to the existing procedure (with its established drug cocktail), but any "tinkering with the machinery of death" that requires minimal thinking and minimal departure from the protocol approved by their forefathers is making them savagely uncomfortable. Well, that is exactly the point of death penalty opponents: they have nothing against executioners being uncomfortable. There is no "democratic" requirement that people uncomfortable about their own actions should feel a general societal support for what they are doing. 

Came here to post this.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »

They really don't have a Plan B.  They don't think that they need one, but they are in denial of the degree to which Hillary Clinton lacks PERSONAL popularity.  Yes, they like the feminist idea of Madam President, but I suspect that many of the feminist leftists that are backing Clinton wish that it could be someone else to shatter the glass ceiling.

Hillary Clinton has more personal popularity than anyone else in the entire field, and has had it for a long time. She just doesn't have personal popularity with the right groups. Her personal popularity is with low-income, blue collar groups who don't follow politics very closely. (The reason they don't follow it very closely is because they correctly surmise they don't have very much influence in it.) With people who live out in the boondocks that the Democratic party under Obama has forgotten about, like white working class areas of the Midwest or Upper South. With women, sure. With minorities, sure. With young people, to a greater degree than often imagined.

But not with the right groups of people - the activists on the extreme right and left. Not with those who are motivated enough about politics to go online and comment about it. Not with those who Sarah Palin called, in one of her half-witty, half-braindead aphorisms, the "lamestream media". Not with the latte-drinking, Jacobin-reading Manhattan upper middle class environmental activist who attends Netroots Nation and styles herself a member of the "true left." Not with those people. And it's those people who matter in this country. Those are the people who drive the discourse. And those are the people who will destroy Hillary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think anyone from the moment he was picked thought Biden would run in 2016, let alone be the frontrunner. The Vice President isn't always the frontrunner after a two term presidency - Dick Cheney was never even seriously talked about. Biden's only one year younger than Sanders, so if you thought Sanders as too old, I don't know why he'd be any better.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sure, but there have been two Bushes in the White House, and only one Clinton. During Bush Junior's run in 1999-2000 there was no serious anti-dynasty groundswell. Nor was there one during any of the Kennedy brothers' runs or potential runs. In both cases, the men's family names helped them with no serious backlash. And of course, there are political dynasties in all 50 states at lower levels, and no one ever bats an eye. It only seems that when there's an election with Hillary in it, the backlash is huge.

Though personally, I'd add "try to" before the word "destroy". But just a small quibble in an excellent post. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »

Why was my inclusion here of one of this Gallery's namesake's posts deleted without being reported first?

I probably did. I was on vacation and having to navigate the Forum on my phone. I didn't feel like taking the time to report the post myself (and possibly assess points for it) then delete it, so I just cut out the middle man.

Seriously Joe, I don't remember what post of Spade's you put here, but if it is the one where he ended a disagreement by calling the other poster a fa#$ot, then I regret nothing. That sort of $hit doesn't belong anywhere on the Forum, let alone in a "Good Post Gallery".

Hmm... You mean to say that a very typical post from the guy that the Good Post Gallery is named for was in fact so offensive that it deserved being deleted on sight?  Such a typical post in fact that this particular F-word's usage here became synonymous with him?  How totally unexpected that it did not in fact deserve to be posted in the Good Post Gallery.

http://youtu.be/L_mrNQBLSMU
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

Greece, because while their government(s) are/have been dishonest and got themselves into this mess, I don't believe in gutting a government's basic services to appease banks/creditors in a way that only makes the problem worse by putting the country back in the Great Depression.

The Greek healthcare system has completely imploded. Diseases that haven't been a problem since for 50+ years are coming back hard. Poverty and unemployment are through the roof.

I am no fan of the Eurozone, but I don't know how Greece is supposed to repay its debts by destroying its economy (tax base, y'know, where the money to pay those debts is supposed to come from) and enabling radical reactionary politics.

If SYRIZA fails, that probably means the rise of Golden Dawn, which I'm sure the vast majority of people desperately want to keep out of power, because they're literally a fascist, neo-Nazi party.

Yes, painful economic reforms and restructuring will have to happen across the southern tier of the Eurozone, but austerity is not the way to do it. Greece should not be allowed to become the Argentina of Europe with the way it doesn't honor its debts, but punishing average people accomplishes nothing except making the problem worse. You're not only ruining their lives, but embittering them for the rest of their lives. Making enemies of whole countries is not something you want to do. The only people truly benefitting from this are Euroskeptics and thier political parties, which doesn't help the pro-austerity crowd one bit.

I don't really have a solution (personally I'd like to the see the Eurozone just break up), but the measures being demanded by Germany and the Eurozone elite have failed. Contracting the money supply/fiscal policy didn't help in the Great Depression, it didn't help during any recession, so why the hell is it supposed to work now??

If the ECB and the various European governments had chosen fiscal stimulus in 2008-2010 when the recession was happening and bottoming out, these countries could be growing again and then you could enact milder austerity to get the money back without ruining everyone's lives and causing this political backlash in Greece, Italy, Spain, etc. The U.S., the UK, and Germany all chose stimulus during that time, and are growing again. The U.S. enacted austerity through the sequester and tax hikes starting in 2013 and it didn't wreck the economy but still closed the deficit (though the sequester could've been handled better), and balancing our budget is a pretty easy goal if it weren't for vested interests. Obviously the differences between the U.S. and the troubled Eurozone nations are pretty vast (we can manipulate our own currency, our debt was not as large compared to GDP, our political system still works, we don't have deep structural problems, etc.), but the point is still the same: austerity is counterproductive to the goal of paying off debts.

I don't know what the endgame of austerity is supposed to be, other than a Grexit and a possible domino effect across southern Europe. In all seriousness: can anyone tell me where this is supposed to end? I have yet to hear a concrete answer that has positive results for all involved.

Extreme austerity isn't working, so I reluctantly vote Greece.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2015, 08:19:48 AM »

I was going to post int the cap and trade vs, carbon tax thread, but someone already made the points I was going to:
You don't need to choose between the two necessarily.

I think cap-and-trade is more efficient, but it can only really apply to stationary sources like refineries, power plants, factories, etc.  Cap and trade works better for them because it creates an incentive to reduce your emissions as much as possible, whereas a tax provides the same incentive to everyone.  The factory that can cut emissions 80% has the same incentives as the factory that can cut emissions 40%, it's just inefficient.

For individuals, taxes are the only option to affect behavior directly.  But, I wouldn't have a strict carbon tax.  I would have something like an environmental externality tax on things like gasoline, electricity from coal plants, cars, etc which factor in all greenhouse gases and some measure of the pollution they cause. 
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »

Given that Atlas is more or less a liberal echo chamber, I'm going to have to go with Reality TV stars. I am far more confident in The Situation than I am litany of guilt-ridden, perpetually offended liberal whiners that compose almost all of our red avatar'd friends.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »

TNF is on a roll -

Reminds me of when my PC friend took huge offense to the word "retard" because it may offend the retards.

Gtfo for using the term "PC" and for justifying the degradation of mentally challenged people by using a slur against them.

>2000+15
>implying that political correctness isn't a real thing used by liberals to shut down debate because they have no useful contributions of their own to an argument at any given moment
>implying that using the word 'retard' literally degrades people right then and there, even when not being used in the context in which it would be degrading or hurtful
>implying that your keyboard activism will do anything to stop turkisblau from using the word

Please return to Tumblr with all due haste

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »

No post that contains >implying belongs in this thread.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »

Or that non-ironically complains about political correctness jesus christ.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »

It's a two way street. 

On the internet, people don't really know you or get your irony.  It's totally fine among friends to make an ironic joke that you know won't hurt anyone's feelings.  But, with something like a disability, you should be conscientious and realize that you can really hurt someone's feelings.  Imagine people who have real issues or family members who are disabled.  You can transport those people to a moment where they were being made fun of or dredge up awful stuff.

On the other hand, people need to try to take things in the spirit in which its intended.  People shouldn't try to totally censor jokes or ideas, without understanding the context.  There is a problem with people actively trying to be offended and play gotcha on pretty innocent slips of the tongue.  And, we should all try to understand people in an honest, fair way.

All that said, I find it distasteful that some people want to put the entire burden on the listener.  As if it's up to them to find out what you really think and feel, as opposed to what you said.  Is it really that hard to think before you speak and question whether you need to use loaded, powerful language in public or casual conversation?  Is it that hard not to say "retard" when you mean "stupid" or "dumb?"  For me, I really don't mind editing those words because I think disabled people have it hard enough and it's extremely easy to just watch what I say a bit.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:16 PM »

"political correctness ruins everything ;~;" -- straight white dudes
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »

What's the world coming to when you can't insult someone by suggesting they have a mental illness

MY FREEDOMS

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »

Only retards complain about political correctness.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »

Way to prove my point in the other thread. Liberals like yourself are never interested in debate, only in scoring points among yourselves for how 'progressive' and 'enlightened' you are as opposed to those of us who reject identity politics. You can't make a compelling case for your own politics, so instead you try and shout down those who don't agree with them. Typical.

Thankfully your particular brand of liberalism doesn't exist outside of academia, mostly because it has zero appeal to the mass of people. You can win a bunch of white, self-hating, guilt-ridden upper middle class yuppies, but they're not and won't ever be the majority. Those of us actually interested in changing the world accept people as they are and try to push them in the right direction through common struggle, not with call-outs, 'privilege checking' and 'safe spaces' or whatever garbage is coming out of the impotent academic 'left' these days.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »

How ironic. The fringe far-left calling people "impotent".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2015, 09:34:57 PM »

Not only that, but using the language of whiny anti-P.C. privileged liberalism (a la Jonathan Chait or similar blowhards) to do so!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 09:48:13 PM by IceSpear »

Way to prove my point in the other thread. Liberals like yourself are never interested in debate, only in scoring points among yourselves for how 'progressive' and 'enlightened' you are as opposed to those of us who reject identity politics. You can't make a compelling case for your own politics, so instead you try and shout down those who don't agree with them. Typical.

Thankfully your particular brand of liberalism doesn't exist outside of academia, mostly because it has zero appeal to the mass of people. You can win a bunch of white, self-hating, guilt-ridden upper middle class yuppies, but they're not and won't ever be the majority. Those of us actually interested in changing the world accept people as they are and try to push them in the right direction through common struggle, not with call-outs, 'privilege checking' and 'safe spaces' or whatever garbage is coming out of the impotent academic 'left' these days.

Considering you support parties that get like 0.0001% of the vote, are you really in a position to speak for "the masses/the majority" here? Much less describe any group as impotent. Even the most extremist SJWism probably has more support among the "masses" than the dead 20th century ideology of communism does. If you condemn them because "they're not the majority and never will be", you also condemn yourself.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »

Considering you support parties that get like 0.0001% of the vote, are you really in a position to speak for "the masses/the majority" here? Much less describe any group as impotent.

As someone who doesn't live in/work in the academic world and interacts with flesh and blood workers on a day-to-day basis, I'd say I've got a better pulse on general public opinion than do our fiends that live on the Internet and rarely venture outside. I would never confuse that with thinking that most people share my views on an issue, but I can damn sure tell you that SJW-style liberalism isn't something capable of creating or maintaining a mass base of public support.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 09:55:35 PM by Snowstalker »

Not only that, but using the language of whiny anti-P.C. privileged liberalism (a la Jonathan Chait or similar blowhards) to do so!

muh soggy knee

I'm hardly a fan of Chait, but he wasn't entirely wrong in that column of his a couple months back. Here's a good reflection of my views on this whole matter. The liberal eunuchs of Atlas can think whatever they want of me.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »

Considering you support parties that get like 0.0001% of the vote, are you really in a position to speak for "the masses/the majority" here? Much less describe any group as impotent.

As someone who doesn't live in/work in the academic world and interacts with flesh and blood workers on a day-to-day basis, I'd say I've got a better pulse on general public opinion than do our fiends that live on the Internet and rarely venture outside. I would never confuse that with thinking that most people share my views on an issue, but I can damn sure tell you that SJW-style liberalism isn't something capable of creating or maintaining a mass base of public support.

Assuming that's true, how can you condemn them for fighting for what they believe in even if they'll always be a minority? I'd think you would be able to relate to that, even if you disagree with them from an ideological viewpoint.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2015, 10:16:30 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 10:20:08 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

There's nothing braver than standing against political correctness, am I right?

The notion of "political correctness" is a shibboleth for those who don't care about minority rights. Whenever "political correctness" is used in a pejorative manner, it sends the message that the concerns ethnic or racial minorities aren't worthwhile. Whether or not this is the intention is besides the point, whenever you use the term "political correctness", a phenomenon that doesn't have a basis in reality, as a catch-all term that may be used to lampoon the use of words that are more respectful, you send the message that you don't care.

Corporate directives that instruct employees to undertake "diversity training" may be counter-productive and the constant sectarian bickering between segments of the left over the semantics of race may be tiring but at least society is making an attempt to promote multiculturalism. Say what you will about the negative consequences of the idea of a "post-racial" America but racial intermarriage continues to increase and many racial barriers are eroding. In the broad scheme of things, we're moving in the right direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies