The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:23:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery  (Read 90470 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2015, 09:55:35 PM by Snowstalker »

How ironic. The fringe far-left calling people "impotent".

Not only that, but using the language of whiny anti-P.C. privileged liberalism (a la Jonathan Chait or similar blowhards) to do so!

muh soggy knee

I'm hardly a fan of Chait, but he wasn't entirely wrong in that column of his a couple months back. Here's a good reflection of my views on this whole matter. The liberal eunuchs of Atlas can think whatever they want of me.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:20:18 PM »

Whether or not this is the intention is besides the point, whenever you use the term "political correctness", a phenomenon that doesn't have a basis in reality,

As insufferable (and usually bigoted) as the right-wing critics of "political correctness" usually are, this is demonstrably false.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »

Sometimes two seemingly contradictory statements can both be true, you know. It is undeniably true that Versailles was punitive, vindictive and generally rather harsh. It is also undeniably true that such treaties were the norm at the time and that, on the matter of territory at least,* The Treaty of Versailles was notable for its moderation (we can, for instance, be absolutely sure that if the Central Powers had won the war the territorial demands of Germany et al would have been considerably more excessive). The Reparations are a different matter, and that is where the historical controversy lies. There have been attempts to defend the policy in recent decades, but I personally disagree; it was stupid and short-sighted even if the motivation behind it was perhaps understandable and even if it is absurd to argue Reparations ---> Hitler as though nothing else happened between 1919 and 1933.

*Germany lost Elsaß-Lothringen (which was a smaller territory than you'd think from the name; although it included all Alsace but Belfort, it only included about a quarter of Lorraine: the present day department of the Moselle) which was valuable but had only been annexed in 1871 anyway, Posen (a large and not terribly important agricultural province that was majority Polish), the Polish-speaking parts of Upper Silesia (economically valuable, but Germany was hardly short of heavy industry), northern Schleswig (Danish farmers ffs), Eupen-Malmedy (literally a couple of hick parishes), Memelland (ibid), and some additional small scraps of land on the new Polish border (notably the 'Polish Corridor') which at the time (the port of Gdynia not having been built) had no value other than - from a Polish perspective - strategic. To argue that this was onerous by the standards of the time is difficult. It is, in fact, hard to make a case against most of those territorial changes. More questionable would be the hiving off of the Saarland and Danzig as quasi-independent statelets (so that the French could exploit the Saar's collieries - reparations again - and that the Poles would have access to a proper port), though (again) these were rather small territories. There's also the matter of the loss of practical sovereignty over Rhineland which is hard to defend, sure. Oh, and Germany also lost its (actually pretty worthless) colonies, though I'd be very surprised if anyone here were to kick up a fuss about that...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »

I honestly don't give a damn if Serbs died. America comes first to me.

MUH ARBITRARY LINES ON A MAP

Commie, there are things such as cultures, etc. Not just lines on a map. I care about my country - not someone else's. I know you as a Commie, you want to pretend countries, cultures, languages don't exist - you and your little Frankfurt School, America hating views - but no one will ever, ever accept Communism in this country.

Sure, there are such things as cultures. But cultures are not independent or free floating. They are the result of hundreds of thousands of years of intermixing between different peoples, intermarriage between different peoples, and cultural exchanges in general. And they continue to evolve and develop on account of the dialectical processes that govern society at large. A good example of that is the very idea of 'white people', or the 'white race', an identity category you seem to hold dear for reasons I can't comprehend outside of what appears to be a victim mentality on your own part.

The idea of a 'white race' is a new concept that has only developed very recently in historic terms. As late as the 1920s, Southern Europeans weren't considered 'white' by mainstream U.S. public opinion, which helped to influence legislation like the Immigration Act of 1924 and other public policies which sought to exclude them. Fast forward to the 1960s, with the defeat of the left and class politics in general, and we have the construction of a 'white identity' that now includes those very groups excluded in the past, in direct opposition (as a result of, really) the rights revolution and the identity-based struggles therein. Thus the banner of 'white nationalism', the 'white race', and all attempts at a universal white identity are not anything other than an attempt to make sense of the world where the left and labor politics had lost and struggles for recognition on the grounds of identity succeeded. The idea of 'white people' itself has always existed for exclusionary purposes, but the idea of a universal 'whiteness' that you seem to subscribe to here is a very new one. So sure, there are such things as 'cultures', but they're not as static and unchanging as you, or the neo-Nazi scum of the Internet, or their 'left-wing' counterparts, the SJWs, would like to have us believe.

You say that you 'care about your country', but apparently you don't care enough about it to recognize that it was founded in the spirit of liberty, equality, and fraternity of all people, no matter if they have the stars and stripes on their porch, the Union Jack, the Russian flag, etc. The men and women who made this country a land of possibility, a new start, a refuge for the wretched of the Earth, didn't do so as an isolated group. They were part of a worldwide revolutionary tradition beginning with the Dutch Revolt and closing with the abolition of slavery by the heirs of the American Revolution in the 1860s. Thomas Paine famously said 'I have no country to fight for, for I am a citizen of the world', or something to that affect, and there's certainly good evidence to think that the other radicals of the revolutionary period (Thomas Jefferson in particular) were well aware of the fact that theirs was but a small part in a grander movement.

Caring about your country means recognizing that it is not infallible, and that it makes mistakes, and that its leaders are not flawless. Just shouting 'USA! USA! USA!' is mindless and makes you look like an idiot, and not without reason - because the inability to think critically about the problems that your country faces and has faced makes you one.

I don't pretend that countries and languages don't exist. I understand that they do, and as a communist, I want to do what can be done to hasten the overthrow of that system which divides men and women along borders, which denies them the fruit of their labor, and which condemns them to relentless toil, forever and ever. The nation-state is a walled off area for capital accumulation, and in that context, I oppose it. I obviously don't oppose the idea of separate languages or cultures and think that cultural diversity is worthwhile.

I don't hate America, I hate the politico-economic system that produces want and meaningless toil for the vast majority of the populace, while allowing a gilded few to enjoy pleasures that the rest of us can only dream of. In spite of my own tendency to get hyperbolic, I'll be frank and say I don't hate you or anyone else on this site with whom I have differing opinions, because I understand how opinions and ideologies are formulated within the context of society at large. That said, I do despise the system which makes young men hopeless and resentful enough to become the most vile kind of misanthrope, the 'white nationalist', the 'MRA', or whatever garbage you have floating through your head. You can talk about how proud you are to be white all day long, but that won't prevent you from being exploited at work by a small group of parasites that is happy to have you keep talking about how proud you are to be a white man - because it keeps your attention off of them.

I'm not even going to address the bit of cloaked anti-Semitism you have going on there (what, with references to the 'Frankfurt School' and all), but I will say that I agree with next to nothing of the Frankfurt School's sociopolitical analysis, which should be obvious to anyone who has read the varied critique of other left-wingers I post here fairly often. But you're new here (assuming you're a real person and not, say, DevotedDemocrat, whom you seem to be fairly close to in terms of views), so I'll give you a break on that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies