The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:42:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery  (Read 90581 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: February 25, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »

Savage is most fascist.

Levin is most reactionary.

Limbaugh is most hyperbolic.

Hannity is most misleading.

Beck is most insane.

Voted for Hannity, but they all make me want to puke.

No.
to be fair savage is a serial flip flopper and went through a phase of pandering more to the white nationalist crowd for a couple years beyond his usual anti-immigration rants. this back when the israeli lobby was arguing for invading syria in 2013 ish. but his schtick has always been sort of a bizarre kind of weather vane politicking. basically he always picks up on whatever the most acceptable 'far right' position is then does that. he just obscures it a little with the shock humor, blatant lies and ranting for the lulz. it's sort of the same professional trolling that ann coulter does. its actually entertaining sometimes which is more than i can say for hannity, rush or the other losers. the only person that comes close is o'reilly, who he affectionately named the leprechaun
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »

No post that contains >implying belongs in this thread.

Or that non-ironically complains about political correctness jesus christ.

"political correctness ruins everything ;~;" -- straight white dudes

Way to prove my point in the other thread. Liberals like yourself are never interested in debate, only in scoring points among yourselves for how 'progressive' and 'enlightened' you are as opposed to those of us who reject identity politics. You can't make a compelling case for your own politics, so instead you try and shout down those who don't agree with them. Typical.

Thankfully your particular brand of liberalism doesn't exist outside of academia, mostly because it has zero appeal to the mass of people. You can win a bunch of white, self-hating, guilt-ridden upper middle class yuppies, but they're not and won't ever be the majority. Those of us actually interested in changing the world accept people as they are and try to push them in the right direction through common struggle, not with call-outs, 'privilege checking' and 'safe spaces' or whatever garbage is coming out of the impotent academic 'left' these days.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »

No post that contains >implying belongs in this thread.

Or that non-ironically complains about political correctness jesus christ.

"political correctness ruins everything ;~;" -- straight white dudes

Way to prove my point in the other thread. Liberals like yourself are never interested in debate, only in scoring points among yourselves for how 'progressive' and 'enlightened' you are as opposed to those of us who reject identity politics. You can't make a compelling case for your own politics, so instead you try and shout down those who don't agree with them. Typical.

Thankfully your particular brand of liberalism doesn't exist outside of academia, mostly because it has zero appeal to the mass of people. You can win a bunch of white, self-hating, guilt-ridden upper middle class yuppies, but they're not and won't ever be the majority. Those of us actually interested in changing the world accept people as they are and try to push them in the right direction through common struggle, not with call-outs, 'privilege checking' and 'safe spaces' or whatever garbage is coming out of the impotent academic 'left' these days.

Considering you support parties that get like 0.0001% of the vote, are you really in a position to speak for "the masses/the majority" here? Much less describe any group as impotent.

As someone who doesn't live in/work in the academic world and interacts with flesh and blood workers on a day-to-day basis, I'd say I've got a better pulse on general public opinion than do our fiends that live on the Internet and rarely venture outside. I would never confuse that with thinking that most people share my views on an issue, but I can damn sure tell you that SJW-style liberalism isn't something capable of creating or maintaining a mass base of public support.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »

The problem with Politically Correct English as it tends to be used on the Atlas (and elsewhere on the internet) is that it has more to do with affirming the speaker's status and self-image than with demonstrating any real commitment to social or economic equality. Freddie deBoer's thoughts on the subject are thoughtful and clarifying (video - also see his post on critique drift), the fact that Snowstalker has mentioned him notwithstanding.

Whether you want to call this "political correctness" (and accept all of the baggage that comes with this term), left-wing language policing, or something else, it harms the causes that anyone on the left ought to care about by alienating and excluding people who cannot immediately and flawlessly adopt to elaborate and unfamiliar codes of language etiquette.1 And, at its worst, this sanitized dialect functions as euphemism, making us feel better about some terrible aspect of reality just because we've come up with a nice word for it.

These are exactly the points that TNF makes in the post that set off this debate: (1) language policing/political correctness can stifle debate or deflect it toward separate concerns about language use (these may be substantive concerns, but they are frequently irrelevant to the original subject of discussion), (2) a person's actual circumstances bear more heavily on him or her than whether other people use the correct, anodyne vocabulary to describe those circumstances, and (3) the manner in which R2D2 addressed Turkisblau was not at all likely to change Turkisblau's behavior - or even intended to in the first place.

1 Which is not to suggest that this problem is uniquely endemic to the left. Anyone who has watched Fox News for twenty minutes is familiar with the bizarre world of right-wing political correctness, in which you are likely to take criticism for your language if it is not purposely offensive enough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies