Should the United States Senate be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:02:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should the United States Senate be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Should the United States Senate be abolished?  (Read 2323 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:50:18 PM »

Yes, it should be.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2015, 04:00:29 PM by SMilo »

Nope (not some revolutionary left wing guy who sits on computer all day)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »

Yes or at least have it heavily reformed.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »

I actually spend the bulk of my time between the three jobs I have to work to make ends meet, but keep believing whatever you want to believe, dipsh#t.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »

I actually spend the bulk of my time between the three jobs I have to work to make ends meet, but keep believing whatever you want to believe, dipsh#t.

I believe I've seen you post that before; I meant instead of focusing on the Revolution. No disrepect intended on that front. My apologies.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »

Nope (sane).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

I can think of good arguments for bicameralism and the idea of a longer tenured upper chamber.

I can't think of any good arguments for the Senate as presently constructed.  The idea of giving tiny states' voters hugely disproportionate say does not make sense in a 50 state county.   Arcane rules like the filibuster do not make sense.  And, just historically, the US Senate has generally been an impediment to positive social change from the slavery debates to civil rights to regulating robber barons and industrial capitalism to the unconscionable obstructionism under Obama.

So, I would be fine abolishing it or drastically changing the rules and apportionment among the states.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 04:30:57 PM »

nah
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »

No.

I can think of good arguments for bicameralism and the idea of a longer tenured upper chamber.

I can't think of any good arguments for the Senate as presently constructed.  The idea of giving tiny states' voters hugely disproportionate say does not make sense in a 50 state county.   Arcane rules like the filibuster do not make sense.  And, just historically, the US Senate has generally been an impediment to positive social change from the slavery debates to civil rights to regulating robber barons and industrial capitalism to the unconscionable obstructionism under Obama.

So, I would be fine abolishing it or drastically changing the rules and apportionment among the states.

Think about all the bills passed by the Republican-led House that the Senate has killed over the years.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »

Not abolished, but it certainly needs to be reformed. End the asinine practice of a single Senator being able to hold up nominations and bills. Revert back to the talking filibuster.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »

No.

I can't think of any good arguments for the Senate as presently constructed.  The idea of giving tiny states' voters hugely disproportionate say does not make sense in a 50 state county.   Arcane rules like the filibuster do not make sense.  And, just historically, the US Senate has generally been an impediment to positive social change from the slavery debates to civil rights to regulating robber barons and industrial capitalism to the unconscionable obstructionism under Obama.

Think about all the bills passed by the Republican-led House that the Senate has killed over the years.

That's true.  I was more thinking over the course of history in the long-run.  

The House has its own unique problems in not representing the views of the American people.  Over the course of history we haven't had the same type of sharp left/right divide between the cities and rural areas.  If you could reform the House to represent the national D vs. R vote somewhat closely and remove the absurd gerrymandering, you would solve that problem, but you would still need to address the Senate's undemocratic nature.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »

Not abolished, but it certainly needs to be reformed. End the asinine practice of a single Senator being able to hold up nominations and bills. Revert back to the talking filibuster.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »

No.

That's true.  I was more thinking over the course of history in the long-run.  

The House has its own unique problems in not representing the views of the American people.  Over the course of history we haven't had the same type of sharp left/right divide between the cities and rural areas.  If you could reform the House to represent the national D vs. R vote somewhat closely and remove the absurd gerrymandering, you would solve that problem, but you would still need to address the Senate's undemocratic nature.

As others have pointed out, even without gerrymandering, Democrats would still be at a geographical disadvantage in the House.  

The Senate is a two-edged sword -it can act to slow positive social change as you put it, but it can also act to slow negative social change.  The Senate is working as it was designed by the Founding Fathers -to paraphrase, by cooling legislation passed by the more democratic, hot-headed House in a saucer.  

The Senate prevents us from heading rashly in one direction or the other.    

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »

No, but the functions in the senate should seriously be reformed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »

Yes, but only as part of a reform package that also establishes some form of PR in the House.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 06:53:27 PM »

Reformed, but not eliminated.  We are still a nation made up of individual states.  I like the idea of the bicameral legislature.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »

Yes, but only as part of a reform package that also establishes some form of PR in the House.

PR in the House + some sort of compulsory voting.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »

PR in the House + some sort of compulsory voting.

That might pass muster in Australia which was founded as a prison colony, but here in the United States where there is a higher emphasis on concepts like freedom and liberty, that would never fly.  The freedom to vote must go hand-in-hand with the freedom NOT to vote. 
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »

Well I'm an Anarchist so what do you think?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »

Yes. Arbitrary and artificial geographic entities should not have representation. Only people should have representation.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »

No.

I can't think of any good arguments for the Senate as presently constructed.  The idea of giving tiny states' voters hugely disproportionate say does not make sense in a 50 state county.   Arcane rules like the filibuster do not make sense.  And, just historically, the US Senate has generally been an impediment to positive social change from the slavery debates to civil rights to regulating robber barons and industrial capitalism to the unconscionable obstructionism under Obama.

This is a valid point to be made. The House tends to do lots of radical things, coming from both sides of the aisle. Having the Senate act as a brake on the actions of the House is useful in maintaining stability and moderation in our country.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »

Yes. Arbitrary and artificial geographic entities should not have representation. Only people should have representation.
What kind of representation system would you support? 535 at-large seats?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies